Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Magnetic Fields and Plant Germination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markw

Rainmax mentioned this last night. I looked at this last year and found it interesting, It has clearly been studied and results have been published showing that a magnetic field helps in germination and early plant growth.Some seed companies are using this on their seeds
I found this document that might be of interest and is good reading http://www.pjoes.com/pdf/21.1/Pol.J.Environ.Stud.Vol.21.No.1.57-63.pdf

I have a large number of magnets and was thinking of having a play on some newly sprouted seeds to see if it helps in early stages. Does anyone else have any views on the subject.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
. Does anyone else have any views on the subject.

I played around with this a long time ago. You need a very strong magnetic field, something in the order of several thousand Gauss if I remember correctly. You also need to know which field to use, negative or positive. One will stunt or prevent growth, the other will accelerate it. I took 3 sets of sunflower seeds and put them into pots. One pot was the control, the other was set onto the negative side of the magnet and the 3rd one was set on the positive side. The control grew "normal", the negative field ( can't remember for sure) grew tremendously huge. There was no question about it, no placebo affect- it clearly outgrew the other two. The magnets I used were something like 4300 Gauss and were about 6"x"3"1".

For us "Northerners" if you dig up a small sapling tree you will notice that the bulk of the root system is always on the northern side of the little root ball. Supposedly this is due to the magnetic effects from the north pole. Not sure if that is true or not but all the trees I've dug up ( I used to graft my own apple trees) were like that.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Actually this is not a new issue, people knew this for a long time. I agree with Randy. Also it's possible to see the same effect under the high voltage power lines, power companies have to remove all young plants every year to prevent the line because they always grow faster than the others.

Last edited:

Knucklehead

Founding Member
In the pdf Maks posted, it stated that they used high voltage with no current. I don't remember magnets, I'm on my tablet so I'll reread it later. I just kinda glanced over it so don't take my word on it.

Markw

Hi JBD
I have a lot of N42 Neos that are 13200 Gauss on the face I use them for making Pmg.s. What would you reccomend at having a try at. running the field lines or flux lines N-S or just sitting them on top of a single magnet. or I can chock two together on a steel plate and put the plant in between.

squeezyjohn

Fascinating!

I never heard of a strong magnetic field affecting growth rate in plants before!

What is Pmg.s ?

Markw

Sorry Squeezy
PMG stands for Permanent Magnet Generator. used for making elect-tricky stuff they have no cogging.

workhorse_01

I'm going to give this a try with a small 24v 75va a/c transformer and the guts from a 3ph 60amp contactor. It will be interesting to see if Ican change germination time and seedling hardiness.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
image.gsfc.nasa.gov/poetry/ask/a11575.html

If you find any strong evidence nasa wants to hear of it. Maybe get a scientific grant too:)

workhorse_01

Well just bust my bubble! LOL, I guess if this were true Nikola tesla would have had trees growing in to space by now.
image.gsfc.nasa.gov/poetry/ask/a11575.html

If you find any strong evidence nasa wants to hear of it. Maybe get a scientific grant too:)

webmost

No, not at all. The rocket scientist plainly says: "AT THE LEVELS FOUND IN THE NATURAL ENVIRONMENT."(emphasis his). Your original post was about levels purposely induced to create an effect. Apples and oinches.

webmost

It's too bad jp morgan went with Edison, instead of tesla we could have all had free power! A fine example of knowledge suppression with money.
That would be Westinghouse; not JP JP funded Edison, Edison sold his company to the financier, and that became General Electric. The thing between Tesla and Edison was DC versus AC Eduison was all for DC, which is safer. Tesla was all for AC, which can be transmitted longer distances. The DC option would have put smaller generators in every community. Westinghouse wanted to exploit giant hydro. They won out, hence all the dams, nukes, etc., and the grid.

Markw

Ha Ha it is funny Westinghouse had shares in copper mines you need lots more copper wire for AC power generation. Thomas Edison was spot on with DC. It makes you think why AC was adopted and not DC. We are all educated that AC is more efficient but is it !!!!!!!.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I thought ac was made the standard because you could pipe it further, but I'm no electrician.

It's high time the moratorium on nukes expired though, id love to heat with electricity.

workhorse_01

Yes voltage drop proved too much, thats why the worlds fair went ac during the competition between tesla and edison.

Status
Not open for further replies.