Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Members seed contributions and list

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
The Seed bank is CLOSED until further notice...unless you are a contributing member. If you're a contributing member and want some seeds, just send me a PM.

Several of you guys have offered to send seeds for the cause. I'd like to put together an entire collection of available seeds to offer to new members. Contributing to the collection gains you instant access to the entire collection. Please try to keep requests within reason. If you want to sell these seeds, send me a PM and I'm sure we can work something out...I'll do whatever I can to help.

The seeds will be offered free of charge to all members of the forum (based on the criteria already established). Seed is available for personal use and will be limited to 100 seeds of four different varieties (400 seeds max.) per year. Seeds will also be available for commercial purposes, but there will be a small charge for amounts over 100 seeds.

If you have any seeds available for this program, please list them in this thread.

Last edited:

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Contributing to our collection gives you instant access to up to 100 seeds of four different varieties annually. Since your variety is somewhat unknown, we'll have to name it "Hakam Oriental" Please give any details about your leaf in this forum http://www.fairtradetobacco.com/forumdisplay.php?8-Oriental-or-Turkish

Your donation is greatly appreciated. Thank you for supporting the site.

Ashauler

Founding Member
I have several open packets of GRIN seeds.....are you interested in those? I have PA and CT broadleaf and several others.

BarG

Founding Member
All I have is monte calme, will be glad to donate a few thousand seeds. I had absolutely no problem germinating these seeds on this years crop. please advise mailing address, ...p.s. still open for suggestions on which new varietys to try blending for cigarettes on next years crop before I choose my free seeds.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
All I have is monte calme, will be glad to donate a few thousand seeds. I had absolutely no problem germinating these seeds on this years crop. please advise mailing address, ...p.s. still open for suggestions on which new varietys to try blending for cigarettes on next years crop before I choose my free seeds.

thats a good question,,,,and a topic i too would be intrested in looking at,,,

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I'd really rather not collect Monte Calme seeds, there is no history on the variety and I very strongly believe it is the same variety as TN 90....but, you can have any seeds you want just for offering them.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I'd really rather not collect Monte Calme seeds, there is no history on the variety and I very strongly believe it is the same variety as TN 90.....

Are we making a distinction between Monte Calme Yellow and Monte Calme Brun? and is there a difference?

Chrism

Tn90 smokes good. I'll be using it as a filler, burley as binder, and ct as wrapper. The ct alone is very pleasant. I needed some more bite so I mixed it with half burley. Smells good and smoke good in a cig.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Monte Calme Yellow is said (unverified) to be a Swiss-developed Burley hybrid, and Monte Calme Brune a Swiss-developed Havana hybrid. GRIN shows one of them--I forget which--as sourced from Belgium.

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
Good question...maybe I should rethink the whole thing, after all, TN 90 is a good variety anyway...regardless of what it's called.

I got some TN 90 from grinn a few months ago. I'm going to grow some next year to see if I can tell any difference in the 400 plants of monte calme I grew this year . I've read tobacco plants adapt to type of soil and climate where grown so seeds planted obtained elsewhere may produce different than seeds harvested from local growing conditions and soil,. I had much better luck germinating seeds harvested from my first year plants, compared to the ones I bought, grown who knows where or age and care of seeds.

I still have a thousand TN 90 from grinn. I'll send about most of them to you to help with the grow out. I recieved 2011 delivery of tn 90 and oxford 207.. I'll send most of those also.

Last edited:

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Very true. Another thing I didn't take into account is the source of my Monte Calme Yellow was the same source that sent dead seeds. I'm pretty sure it's the source that sells a "cigarette blend" which is nothing more than a bunch of different varieties mixed up in the same seed pack.

So in all fairness to Monte Calme Yellow, I should try to find a reliable source and to a compare grow too. For all I know, the supplier made a mistake and sent TN 90 instead of MCY.

BarG

Founding Member
Very true. Another thing I didn't take into account is the source of my Monte Calme Yellow was the same source that sent dead seeds. I'm pretty sure it's the source that sells a "cigarette blend" which is nothing more than a bunch of different varieties mixed up in the same seed pack.

So in all fairness to Monte Calme Yellow, I should try to find a reliable source and to a compare grow too. For all I know, the supplier made a mistake and sent TN 90 instead of MCY.

My seeds actually came from europe, I had three 200 seed packs of monte, virginia and maryland, all cigarette blends. The monte is all that survived my efforts at first time germinating. I bet I had mostly bum seeds too. I had no problems with second generation seeds.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Tomahawk,
According to data at ARS-GRIN, POQUONOCK (PI 612392) is a cultivar with the following attributes:

"Shade tobacco with resistance to the tobacco cyst nematode (Globodera tabacum tabacum) and tobacco mosaic virus. Nematode resistance conferred by the VA81 parent. Mosaic virus resistance derives from Nicotiana glutinosa. Nematode resistance expressed as reduced nematode development and reproduction. Nematode populations reduced by approx. 70% after production."

I believe it was developed at the Poquonock agricultural research station in Connecticut.

If your seed is pure (either direct from a know source, or properly bagged from your own plants) then it would be an excellent addition to the FTT seed bank, and would be much appreciated. I would suggest you PM FmGrowit regarding instructions for submitting it.

Bob

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i hope at the end of this season,,, with so many of us bagging our plants,

we can all donate enough seeds, to fill the seedbank to overflowing status<

Status
Not open for further replies.