Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Michibacy Grow Log 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_in_TN

Michibaccy, great score on those pipes! I've got an old meerschaum pipe tucked away in a good hiding place, so good I can not locate it.....

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Haha nice Tom. I think I may be making the big meershaum my primary pipe, it smokes so nice it's almost unreal. Completely cool to the touch, helps the tobacco burn slow but VERY full smoke.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I don't need to update this log about what all has been going on between the sucker giving away and everything but everything is curing/drying up quite nicely. I decided to give my YTB a smoke. - - - Why didn't I grow this plant sooner!? It's a decent tobacco, it really is. Didn't kiln it, just color cured it to a nice light brown, shredded it and rolled a cigg, tasted great! Had a nice hit as well. I see why people say once you smoke an all-natural cigarette you may not want to go back to normal ciggies. Next year, I'll be growing much more YTB!

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I don't need to update this log about what all has been going on between the sucker giving away and everything but everything is curing/drying up quite nicely. I decided to give my YTB a smoke. - - - Why didn't I grow this plant sooner!? It's a decent tobacco, it really is. Didn't kiln it, just color cured it to a nice light brown, shredded it and rolled a cigg, tasted great! Had a nice hit as well. I see why people say once you smoke an all-natural cigarette you may not want to go back to normal ciggies. Next year, I'll be growing much more YTB!
I grew some this year and it is kilning now. I'll bring it out soon and let it rest a month or so (if I can wait that long) and let you all know if I like it in cigars.

John

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I personally couldn't wait John, Haha. I read elsewhere on the forum that it's a variety that can be smoked once dried.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Haha. Honestly it reminded me alot of marlboro special blend red, without the sharpness/acidity. Quite enjoyable. I need to roll what I have and see what I can get. I might be able to make it so I don't need to buy another pack for awhile. (Not a heavy ciggie smoker)

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
This evening I shredded the rest of the YTB. Guess I needed a bigger jar. Delicious smell from the jar (fermented some Havana 142 in it last year so it still has some of that over tone, quite alright with me though!
I cut everything with the scissors first, then grab wads of it, and slowly shred it with a paring knife (Like you do lettuce if you're dicing it)

Attachments

• IMG_1068.jpg
    IMG_1068.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1069.jpg
    IMG_1069.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1070.jpg
    IMG_1070.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1072.jpg
    IMG_1072.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1073.jpg
    IMG_1073.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 28

Tom_in_TN

Air cured YTB (2 months) is way too harsh for my tender throat. Toasted some and it is still too harsh, but not as harsh. Toasted another batch and sprayed some vanilla/maple extract on it and got better results but still not good enough. Mixed that small batch with some Lane 1Q and Lane Black Cavendish and that was much better, but it can get better, I hope. Events are going by so quickly but I think I mixed up and toasted some Monte Calme Brun, YTB, and Golden Wilt that was pretty tasty.

Try spritzing the YTB leaf with a very mild solution of vanilla/maple or licorice solution and see it that helps to tone down the harshness.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Tom, what is the recipe for that solution? I may give it a go and see what happens. Honestly yeah it's "air cured", but where it's at in the barn, for a good 3 weeks it was 95*F (outside temp) and these leaves were right by an opening in the roof vent, it makes me wonder if they were almost partially flue cured.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
if you are shredding leaf by hand try rolling up a few long fat cylinders of leaf, then cut thin strips with the scissors, it does a lot fast and fine.

if i smoked though i think that would drive me insane, i'd have to have a powermatic.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Honestly grgfinney, it's not too bothersome for me, gives me a few minutes to just focus on one thing, listen to some Beethoven and relax.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I've got everything ready to store, processed what I want to and am letting the rest age. I have a remote RH monitor/thermometer in the container. At 65*F it is between 44-48R%RH, is this acceptable for storage? The leaf is in low-medium case the best I can tell (and I'm sure there is some air transfer since this thing isn't air tight)

Status
Not open for further replies.