Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Mould

Status
Not open for further replies.

marksctm

I thought it was minerals leaching out because it's been aging over a year, but is it mold?
I was out in the shed and took a look at some of my tobacco from last year.
I been storing it in big paper bags, the ones from Lowes for leaf and grass clippings and noticed this.

DSCN3015.jpgDSCN3008.jpgDSCN3027.jpgDSCN3031.jpgDSCN3033.jpgDSCN3034.jpgDSCN3036.jpg

It was air cured and hung in shed for about 7 months then it was put in kiln for a month in February, put in the bags and shed until now.
The stems are still dry, a little pliable, but break when you bend them.

marksctm

If its comein from the stem it may be salt.
It sure looked like salt Boboro.
I almost tasted it to see, and might tomorrow, what don't kill you makes you stronger.
If you all don't hear from me in a while, send someone out to the shed, I'll probably be laying there with a tobacco leaf hanging out of my mouth.

BarG

Founding Member
I'm no expert but that aint salt on the leaf tips and not in that quantity? It aint black mold though and may be remedied?

BigBonner

Founding Member
Let it dry good and see what happens .If outside moisture can hit it from all the rain we have been having it will cause tobacco to mold
I have baled aged leaf that does that , The darker the leaf the more it shows . It will be mostly on the stem and will show where the stem lays pressed on other leaves . When rubbed it will feel like salt .

Bob did a post where if it was mold it would branch out under a microscope .

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
One test you can do is to scrape off a little of the white fuzz, and place it on a segment of very moist, clean, color-cured tobacco leaf. Enclose this inside a Zip Lock, out of direct sunlight, and check it in 3 or 4 days. If its salt, it shouldn't grow. If it's mold, it will spread over the surface fairly quickly. You might want to set up a second Zip Lock with a segment of the same leaf, but no fuzz, for comparison.

Plan B is to use your nose. If it smells like mold, it probably is mold.

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

Look at those "crystals" with a magnifying glass. If they are branching, then they are fungal hyphae.

Bob

I would like to add that I was concerned about crystals on the stems, myself. I am an amateur mycologist, certainly not an expert, but I figured if it was fungal, it was very unique. I believe using an important mushroom identifying test cleared it up for me. I am now absolutely certain they are minerals. The test is TASTE IT. It tasted like salt. I tried several spots, and no fungal taste whatsoever, just minerals coming out of solution when the stems dry. Another thing to note, was that the dryer the stems, the more likely it would be present. Now I'm just waiting to see if I get a buzz.

PS. It also feels like salt between your fingers.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member

Matty

Ok, I already knew all that. I was just wondering if such a thing existed. Not that I go around taste testing mould or anything but last fall I was mildly exposed to phosgene gas and didn't know until several months later.
Don't taste test mould and for gosh sake stay away from phosgene gas.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Seriously, the closest thing to an amateur liver function test is a clinical office blood analyzer machine (at least a few thousand dollars), plus reagent cards or cassettes for SGOT, SGPT, ALK Phos. Cheaper to spring for a blood chemistry panel via your local doc.

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

Speaking of smoking mushrooms.
Small shavings of this mixed into tobacco gives it a great natural sweet flavor, not unlike cotton candy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I can't help but laugh, Like Bob said this isn't the blue-light forum. For legality sake and health/insurance sake, we should stick to Tobacco discussions, everything else should be on a site other than FTT.

As per mold, be very careful with anything you might think is mold. In today's age it might not be a simple white fungus, it could be a chemical leaching, a spill from another product or machine etc.

I know for myself, I have a very low immunity against mold, I'm highly allergic to penicillin, also can't eat foods that are "still OK but close to expiration", at the very least I get food poisoning, which entails vomiting and getting to know the porcelain throne very personally.

If all else is in question, cut around it, treat with H202 (Hydrogen Peroxide) or a strong drinking alcohol in a food safe spray bottle.

If I run into a lot on my leaves, I tear around them, I just prefer to smoke tobacco....

Matty

I can't help but laugh, Like Bob said this isn't the blue-light forum. For legality sake and health/insurance sake, we should stick to Tobacco discussions, everything else should be on a site other than FTT.

As per mold, be very careful with anything you might think is mold. In today's age it might not be a simple white fungus, it could be a chemical leaching, a spill from another product or machine etc.

I know for myself, I have a very low immunity against mold, I'm highly allergic to penicillin, also can't eat foods that are "still OK but close to expiration", at the very least I get food poisoning, which entails vomiting and getting to know the porcelain throne very personally.

If all else is in question, cut around it, treat with H202 (Hydrogen Peroxide) or a strong drinking alcohol in a food safe spray bottle.

If I run into a lot on my leaves, I tear around them, I just prefer to smoke tobacco....

I'm slightly sensitive to mould as well. Makes me sneeze out of control and my skin gets itchy for a day or so. Also allergic to penicillin. If I get a leaf with mould on it I throw it away and closely inspect the leaves that were in contact with the bad leaf. I don't even bother treating mouldy leaf I just chuck'em.

Smokin Harley

not to nit pick but a MOULD is a device to form an object into a shape (which is why I use this spelling when I speak about my wooden perfecto cigar mould ) ,this word has been Americanized into MOLD,which is wrong. MOLD is the tiny white/gray/blueish green fungal growth caused by warmth and moisture on the leaf over an extended period of time.
Kind of like how the wood edge joinery known as the rabbet has been wrongly spelled as rabbit ,and the dish commonly known as welsh rabbit is correctly welsh RAREBIT since there is no rabbit , it is actually cheese. that is all for my daily random bit of useless information, we now continue with our regularly scheduled program.

Status
Not open for further replies.