Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Mushrooms Everywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

I went outside to do my morning inspection of the garden and saw that hundreds of mushrooms had come up last night. I used a thick layer of wood chips to cover some of my walkways and in the paths these things are everywhere. I don't know anything about them but thought they looked cool so I took a few pics to share.

9382525851_b19c656443_z.jpg

9385308852_ab9e0d14bb_z.jpg

9385310050_79670d152f_z.jpg

:)

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i'd just let them grow, and die right there,

my first year of spreading the 4 tons of chicken manure/sawdust,,,,,,,,i had a lot of mushrooms, thats just a sign, you did something right, and you got inner soil moisture,

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
They appear to be a Coprinus species, maybe "inky caps." Not poisonous, no odor (or very little), but not particularly edible. Common in rotting wood.

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Yep, they'll likely turn into a black goo before the end of the day. You have very good growing conditions for shaggy manes. If you get them young enough, they have an asparagus like flavor. They get stringy very quickly and can be a little gritty.

coprinus comatus.jpg

Considered by the National Audubon Society to be a choice edible in the its field guide to North American wild mushrooms. One of my favorite books.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
my woman likes mushrooms,,, me myself, they make me gag!!!!

but i'll use them for flavoring, and pick them off my plate, but she likes them '' ANY WAY ''...

cant stand the things,

DGBAMA

Chicken.....a friend of mine would agree. He simply won't/refuses to eat anything that is a fungus. And he will even acknowledge that they taste good.

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
This spring I put a rotted manure/sawdust down and mushrooms sprang up all over the dang place. even now, after a sprinkling with my water system, they show up about 3-4 days later. I've heard that if the soil is left undisturbed, the mycelium are great transporters for nutrients through the soil and help make nutrients available to the roots of other plants. there have been mycelium networks that have been found that were many miles long.

BarG

Founding Member
My personal favorites are the ones that grow out of cow patties . The store bought ones stuffed with sausage and cheese are okay too.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Not the same mushroom!!!

Clearly

One of the biggest problems with wild mushroom hunting is the huge differences from one continent to another. You can not rely on the appearance of a mushroom as being edible. If you have experience with a certain mushroom in in Asia, the same identical looking mushroom in North America can be deadly poisonous.

Never eat and all white wild mushroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.