Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

My First Cavendish Attempt - With Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern Light Up

Thanks to DeluxeStogie's instructions, I gave cavendish a try. I thought I'd share my experience.

I used a variation with the equipment I have available.

I used a variety of floor scraps. (The baccy that didn't make it into my kiln, that is currently running) An unknown ratio of Monte Calm Brun, Canadian Virginia, and Havana.

I used a crock pot and metal strainer. The lid fit snuggly with strainer inside crock pot. Water about 1 inch below strainer bottom.

IMG-20141120-00315.jpgIMG-20141120-00316.jpgIMG-20141120-00317.jpg

I ran the crock pot on high for about 8 hours. Opened it every couple hours and mixed up the baccy pile.

This is a very small batch. Maybe 50 grams.

I dried out the pile a little and put the steamed baccy in a small ziploc bag. Put in between two boards and under the back tire of my motorcycle tire for 3 hours of pressing.

It created a block 1/4 inch thick, 3x3 inch square. I cut it up into strips. Some is pictured rubbed out and some still in strips.

I have not smoked any but it smells fantastic. I mean really good. Sweet smell. I will update once I smoke some.

I could have let it steam longer I guess, but I just felt like it was long enough for a controlled experiment.

IMG-20141120-00349.jpgIMG-20141120-00350.jpg

Northern Light Up

Smoking Update:

So I let the cavendish age a few weeks.

It is a very mellow smoke. Not a lot of flavour, but what flavour there is, is good. Thick smoke. Decent nicotine level. Can't say I tried smoking the same leaf before so can't speak to the nicotine change, if any.

I have some turkish and havana that's aged about 3 months in jars, not the mildest stuff, but pretty smokable. I mixed 50/50 with cavendish and hand rolled a smoke. I must say it is an enjoyable product.

I can recommend this process for anyone looking to get a smokable product relatively quickly, without a kiln.

Next I will try a much larger batch.

I will note that I tried another batch and let it steam over twice as long. It didn't make the product better, kinda took all the smell right out of it. I'm going to steam 8 hours next batch.

Status
Not open for further replies.