Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

''MY'' future advertising for F.T.T. { a semi }

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
johnlee -- A hot pressure wash would be good or take it to a car wash and use the soap then water. You can start with engine degreaser but it will leave a film that will need to be removed. I'd recommend following that with an automotive type wax and grease remover or "precleaner" before and after sanding. Before sanding to remove any surface oil that pressure washing may have missed and after to remove fingerprints to avoid "fish eyes". Finish sand to 320 or 400 grit. Use a self etching primer on any bare metal before painting. You can get it in a spray can at an automotive paint store where you get the precleaner. Both also available online.
self etching primer https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/dupli-color-aerosol-self-etching-primer-dpp101-p-12713.aspx
pre cleaner https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/klean-strip-prep-all-wax-grease-remover-gsw362-p-14855.aspx
I managed a body shop about 16 years. Painter for four. :) Any more questions shoot me with a PM.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I managed a body shop about 16 years. Painter for four. :) Any more questions shoot me with a PM.
WOW ! Thanks Knucks. I'm not sure I want to get into it that deep. I'll get a pic tomorrow if it's not still raining.. I just wanted to clean it up a little, knock off the loose rust and grunge and brighten it up a little. This is not like Chickens show piece. Just a refresh. Thanks again -- John

I forgot my good computer is dead so no pics. I'll take them and send them along when the computer is fixed. -- J

Knucklehead

Founding Member
You'll need to either sandblast the rust to shiney metal, spray the self etching primer before paint or wire brush it and spray with SEM Rust Shield. Rust Shield will seal off the oxygen to the rust and rust can't spread without oxygen. It's the oxide in ferric oxide. Paint won't stop it because it breathes. Otherwise your going to work your butt off and have paint peeling and rust coming back in a couple months. You can use the rust shield like paint but it's black. You won't need primer or anything just wire brush the scaley rust, sand the paint and spray it. One time deal. You can paint over it if you want a different color. Cheapest route would be to sandblast the rust, sand the paint and use the self etching primer on bare metal and then paint. Just make sure it's real clean.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
You'll need to either sandblast the rust to shiney metal, spray the self etching primer before paint or wire brush it and spray with SEM Rust Shield. Rust Shield will seal off the oxygen to the rust and rust can't spread without oxygen. It's the oxide in ferric oxide. Paint won't stop it because it breathes. Otherwise your going to work your butt off and have paint peeling and rust coming back in a couple months. You can use the rust shield like paint but it's black. You won't need primer or anything just wire brush the scaley rust, sand the paint and spray it. One time deal. You can paint over it if you want a different color. Cheapest route would be to sandblast the rust, sand the paint and use the self etching primer on bare metal and then paint. Just make sure it's real clean.
OK I can do that pretty easy. I have a cheap sand blaster and lots of grit. Since the engine is off it I can shield the slide and piston and blast the whole thing. I have the self etching primer and I can get a couple of spray cans of Rustoleum bright yellow. I think I have enough red for the hazardous places. Thanks again. -- J

Knucklehead

Founding Member
No need to sand blast the whole thing if the other paint is in good shape. Sandblasting is a job. Sand blast the rust and sand the good paint. Sanding will form a mechanical bond to the old paint. Use a D.A. sander if you have one. Use the self etching primer on the raw metal so the paint will stick and rust won't come back. The self etching primer has an acid base and it will eat into the metal (slightly).

Knucklehead

Founding Member

BarG

Founding Member
today was the first '' real day'' of work for it,

it felt great to be in a truck by myself again, i been riding '' training'' with my boss for the last 3 month's.

heres some pic's from today,,,[ delivered to a dairy'' for thier winter rye grass,

>
trk2009.jpg

trk2008.jpg

trk2007.jpg

trk2006.jpg

my lazy ass dog, better get MOTIVATED if he wants to ride with me,

>
trk2001.jpg

trk2004.jpg

the lazy bastard is laying with his head propped on the arm of the couch, laying on his paw's.

way too lazy,

One word Chicken Badass. You did gooood!!!!!!!!.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
^^^^^^^

thanks,,,

it's so great to be finally driving it,

Status
Not open for further replies.