Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

New from Kentucky

Status
Not open for further replies.

fletch621

Howdy all. Just doing research now so I can attempt to grow my first crop next year. Mainly wanting to grow about three different types for rolling cigars, am thinking FL Sumatra, PA Red and Comstock Spanish. I am in Lexington, KY but do not have much space at my place so am just looking at doing about 9 plants, 3 of each type and see how it goes. One of these days I'll get onto an acreage or farm and will have more space. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. Any suggestions for a beginner are always welcome. Thanks!

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Howdy all. Just doing research now so I can attempt to grow my first crop next year. Mainly wanting to grow about three different types for rolling cigars, am thinking FL Sumatra, PA Red and Comstock Spanish. I am in Lexington, KY but do not have much space at my place so am just looking at doing about 9 plants, 3 of each type and see how it goes. One of these days I'll get onto an acreage or farm and will have more space. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. Any suggestions for a beginner are always welcome. Thanks!

Hi Fletch, Welcome to FTT. You are now right where I was three years ago. I have a small patch (8' X 12') and am having a lot of fun with it. You might consider reading the FAQ's at the top of the page. Lots of beginner question answered there. Till you get your own crop in and cured several of our members sell whole leaf that is quite good and will give you a head start on rolling your own.

Again, Welcome, dig in and enjoy,

John

P.S. Love your avatar. You and BarG will get on fine.

J

fletch621

Hi Fletch, Welcome to FTT. You are now right where I was three years ago. I have a small patch (8' X 12') and am having a lot of fun with it. You might consider reading the FAQ's at the top of the page. Lots of beginner question answered there. Till you get your own crop in and cured several of our members sell whole leaf that is quite good and will give you a head start on rolling your own.

Again, Welcome, dig in and enjoy,

John

P.S. Love your avatar. You and BarG will get on fine.

J

Hey John, I'll be starting out with just growing each plant in it's own 5 gallon bucket. I have enough room for that outside.... I don't think my apartment people would appreciate me digging up their yard for tobacco :) But hey, that's OK.... if I screw up too badly it won't be a huge loss. I am looking into getting some whole leaf kits. It appears BigBonner and Whole Leaf Tobacco are two good ones. Does BigBonner have a website (I'm 100% certain I know what will pop up (no pun intended) if I Google that).

BigBonner

Founding Member
Hi Fletch621 and welcome to FTT .
I live about 50 miles from Lexington KY . The soil in Lexington is some of the best in the state .
If you had of joined in the spring I would have gladly fixed you up with all those varietys of plants . You may want to acquire seeds that you want to grow next year and get ready to learn to grow tobacco.

I like the hores picture . I see you didn't want to over do it with a KY UK Big Blue Basket Ball T shirt ;) .No NO No we wouldn't brag about basket ball .

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I am looking into getting some whole leaf kits. It appears BigBonner and Whole Leaf Tobacco are two good ones. Does BigBonner have a website (I'm 100% certain I know what will pop up (no pun intended) if I Google that).

I don't know. Click on any of his posts and click his name. This will open a drop down to let you PM him and ask.

J

fletch621

Thanks for the welcome fellas. Yeah, I've been reading a lot of the posts on the site so I'm ready for next year. I'll be ordering me some seed at some point this fall and start my first small crop next year. Should be a blast.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
well. dont be a stranger to the site, during the '' off'' season,

you may miss a conversation, that could be helpfull to you.

seed germination, and in the right type of soil medium, is about the most difficult part to growing tobacco,

so i'd suggest a lot of research before dropping the first seed,

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
If you are thinking of about 9 plants for cigars, don't do an even 3-3-3 split. The PA Red and Com Spanish make good fillers. The Fl Sumatra (F.S.) makes a good wrapper. Each F.S. plant should yield at least 12 good leaves, giving you 24 wrappers per plant. If you plant 3 F.S. you'll get about 75 wrappers but with only 6 plants for filler you'll run out of filler and have a ton of wrapper left over.

fletch621

If you are thinking of about 9 plants for cigars, don't do an even 3-3-3 split. The PA Red and Com Spanish make good fillers. The Fl Sumatra (F.S.) makes a good wrapper. Each F.S. plant should yield at least 12 good leaves, giving you 24 wrappers per plant. If you plant 3 F.S. you'll get about 75 wrappers but with only 6 plants for filler you'll run out of filler and have a ton of wrapper left over.

Hmmm, good point. I'm not too knowledgeable yet on plant yields. Maybe a 4-4-2 split would work better. You've given me something to think about for sure.

BarG

Founding Member
Welcome Fletch621

That don't look like no Jack, Jenny, or Kentucky thorough bred raceing horse I ever seen.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.