Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Newbie Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie G.

I am wondering how many rollers prep all their leaves in advance and store them prepped ?
After just about using up my first tobacco WLT kit, I was rolling a few cigars last night and wondered about this question.
I was thinking how easy it would be to just prepare my leaves and store in ziplock labeled bags and just reach for a few leaves when needed.
Would preprepping them be a minus for keeping them in the right case ? I don't see that happening but more experienced rollers might know better.
Also thinking it might be a plus as good leaves can be graded, sorted and stored as binders or wrappers. And the not up to par could be stored together.
There may not be a need to do it with filler, But I can't seem to find a downfall to prepping all leaves.

Here's a few of the latest.
P8251704_zpsb8f2cc7b.jpg

I've yet to roll a bad tasting stick using the WLT Azucarodo Oscuro Kit

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Your sticks look very good. It looks like a checkmate from here. I use a large tub to hold My leaf in at low case so no mold will start. Some times I will de stem all of it, and place it in a way so it is easy to pull out. I use a misting bottle to bring the binder into case, and wet the wrapper on stainless to draw it tight. I am like a little kid in a toy store on a roll. I like to lay out alot of types to see what looks like a winner on the next stick. I don't like stems in the tub due to how they absorb and release moisture. Thats the Mad way. Mad-

ArizonaDave

Those really do look good! Well, I do prep leaves, as far as taking the middle stem out, or let it sit out or add water if needed to bring to a low-medium case. Usually one mist is enough, Arizona gets very dry. That will vary depending on location.

Ziplocks? Yes I used to use zip locks all the time, and many on the forum still do. Also Don at WLT has bags for sale that are the best, just send him a PM, or write in what you want on your next order.

Charlie, You're wraps are looking great!!! How are they smoking?

charlie G.

Dave they have been smoking good I feel. Not many bad burns, they (17) have mostly been burning evenly. I have had a little problems with 3 that needed relights about have way thru the cigar. And on those the wrapper burned slower then the filler. May be do to not letting them dry for more then overnight. 1 small stick I rolled for a friend did burn faster on one side. I forget what that is called. But all but those burned even.
As for flavor I like this recipe so far, I have just been using the WLT Maduro sampler
Maduro wrapper
Dom. binder
2-Nic. seco leaves
1-Paraguy flojo viso
1-Dom. Ligerio

I'm putting in an order for a pound of each next week.
Another question for you experienced rollers.
When I get my order, it will be about 6 lbs of leaves. Would it be a good idea to store the bags in an ice chest ?
I thought it might help keep them in their case as they come in the bags, and be stored all together in their resealed bags.
I don't think it would promote mold as I will be into them every other day or so. What do you guys think ?
I have started prepping enough leaves in ziplock bags to get me thru about 3 days of rolling 1 or 2 cigars a day.
Also I wonder how many different type tobacco you guys have stored up in your stash ?
I feel like I maybe going off the deep end with having maybe 6 to 8 lbs stored. Maybe even up to 12 lbs.

webmost

I have several ice chests; some with cigars, others with leaves. All chests have tight lids. Not styrofoam; but the kind with hard plastic shells. One chest I installed a hygrometer in a hole in the lid. Another I tested for months with a hygrometer down among the goodies. I can tell you they do keep stuff absolutely spot on perfect. The hygro never varies at all. At times, if I put some new boxes in the one with the hygro in the lid, the new wooden boxes may suck up some moistuyre, so I will spritz water on the inside surface of the lid. The cooler which holds leaves, I always leave the leaves in their sealed impermeable bags until I need them. Once I have opened the bag, I roll the end up and clip it tight.

Coolidors beat the pants off humidors.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
With those wonderful poly-Nylon bags from www.wholeleaftobacco.com, leaf will remain in ideal case for storage and aging if left heat-sealed. Once you open the bag (by carefully cutting off the seal at one end) it will still maintain case for weeks to months if promptly reclosed. For long-term reclosure, I expel all the air, then roll the open end, sealing it snugly with a piece of tabbed packing tape. For everyday use, I do the same, but seal it with two clothespins. I just toss these reclosed bags of leaf into a large, open top, cardboard box. Cardboard beats the pants off plastic. (Seriously, I've managed my leaf this way for several years now. Sometimes I have as much as 30 pounds of various bulk leaf that I did not grow.)

Three days is about the length of time required for leaf to begin to mold, if left in high case.

Bob

ArizonaDave

Dave they have been smoking good I feel. Not many bad burns, they (17) have mostly been burning evenly. I have had a little problems with 3 that needed relights about have way thru the cigar. And on those the wrapper burned slower then the filler. May be do to not letting them dry for more then overnight. 1 small stick I rolled for a friend did burn faster on one side. I forget what that is called. But all but those burned even.
As for flavor I like this recipe so far, I have just been using the WLT Maduro sampler
Maduro wrapper
Dom. binder
2-Nic. seco leaves
1-Paraguy flojo viso
1-Dom. Ligerio

I'm putting in an order for a pound of each next week.
Another question for you experienced rollers.
When I get my order, it will be about 6 lbs of leaves. Would it be a good idea to store the bags in an ice chest ?
I thought it might help keep them in their case as they come in the bags, and be stored all together in their resealed bags.
I don't think it would promote mold as I will be into them every other day or so. What do you guys think ?
I have started prepping enough leaves in ziplock bags to get me thru about 3 days of rolling 1 or 2 cigars a day.
Also I wonder how many different type tobacco you guys have stored up in your stash ?
I feel like I maybe going off the deep end with having maybe 6 to 8 lbs stored. Maybe even up to 12 lbs.

It might not hurt to have some Piloto Cubano Seco on hand for a double binder, or a double under binder. It seems to have excellent burn qualities.

The mix you have sounds great!

As far as zip locks, let the leaf air out a while before closing. It's easier to store low case for a long time than it is anything else. Why risk mold? You can always rehydrate!

I agree with Bob's post, I save every poly Nylon bag I get from Don, plus you can buy them cheap from Don. I do have some zip locks, that I occasionally use.

Webmost's ice chest is also an excellent idea. I found some food grade 1 gallon containers at the local dollar store, NOT made in that far away place, bought 40 of them. I guess that about the cost of a cooler? It's easier for me anyway.

6 lbs. of leaves is a nice order!

It's nothing for a Cigar roller to have many pounds of leaves in storage!

Status
Not open for further replies.