Founding Member
Peanut or Pecan Brittle

2 cups sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup hot water
1-1/2 cups peanuts or pecans
1/8 teaspoon salt

Heat above ingredients in a boiler adding peanuts when bubbling
When mixture reaches 280 degrees by thermometer add 1 table spoon of baking soda and stir vigorously
Pour onto flat metal pan greased with butter to cool.

All there is to it. Bust it up and eat it up.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I finished the first batch of pepperone yesterday and it's in the kiln drying now. The recipe says it'll be there for about 10 days/2 weeks till it is completely dry and ready to eat. (That's about a 30% weight loss.) I weighed it carefully and will start to check after a week. Success or total disaster it was fun (and work). I'll let you know how it come out. -- John

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Peanut or Pecan Brittle

2 cups sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup hot water
1-1/2 cups peanuts or pecans
1/8 teaspoon salt

Heat above ingredients in a boiler adding peanuts when bubbling
When mixture reaches 280 degrees by thermometer add 1 table spoon of baking soda and stir vigorously
Pour onto flat metal pan greased with butter to cool.

All there is to it. Bust it up and eat it up.
I've got to try this one. Wonder if I'll be able to chew it? -- John

Knucklehead

Founding Member
No problem John, it's not the chewy kind that tries to pull your teeth out. It stays crunchy and not hard to bite. Kinda shatters with little pressure. I do want to add though that if you try to cook it in high humidity it won't come out right and will be kind of chewy. Other than that it's a killer recipe. personnally I prefer to use pecans.
yeah keep me up to date on the pepperoni. I don't know anything about the process but it sure is good on pizza.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
No problem John, it's not the chewy kind that tries to pull your teeth out. It stays crunchy and not hard to bite. Kinda shatters with little pressure. I do want to add though that if you try to cook it in high humidity it won't come out right and will be kind of chewy. Other than that it's a killer recipe. personnally I prefer to use pecans.
yeah keep me up to date on the pepperoni. I don't know anything about the process but it sure is good on pizza.
When the brittle is finished does it look like a real lot of nuts or should I add more. I love peanuts. Do you use salted or unsalted? Would a buttered cookie sheet be OK?

That damn pepperone is works like stiff glue. It was much harder to push thru the stuffer. My stuffer is a 100 year old Universal 25 pound job. It is getting really hard to crank. The push plate is 8" in diameter. I'm looking at a 5 lb. unit where the pusher is only 4 5/8". It should be easier to crank. Know anybody who wants to buy an antique stuffer, all 47 pounds of it? This morning I cleaned the hell out of everything. It's just like dried Elmer's but thank god not as strong -- John

Knucklehead

Founding Member
It seems like a lot of nuts to me. I think the Beast uses salted peanuts. A buttered cookie sheet would be fine depending on size. It's kinda runny when you first pour it out and then it spreads into a sheet ,oh, about as thick as peanut brittle and then it hardens. LOL You'll love it.
This coming from a guy whose famous last words will be "Follow me, nothing to it!"
What do you do with the stuff besides pizza?

johnlee1933

Founding Member
It seems like a lot of nuts to me. I think the Beast uses salted peanuts. A buttered cookie sheet would be fine depending on size. It's kinda runny when you first pour it out and then it spreads into a sheet ,oh, about as thick as peanut brittle and then it hardens. LOL You'll love it.
This coming from a guy whose famous last words will be "Follow me, nothing to it!"
What do you do with the stuff besides pizza?
Thanks.

You cut off thin slices and eat them with a good cheese and crackers or Italian bread. Damned good. -- J

Knucklehead

Founding Member

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Give it a try Matty. I got the recipe from a man around here that was locally famous for his brittle. It makes the best brittle I've ever eaten and I've yet to lose a tooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.