Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Photos of my Air Cured and Oven Colour Cured Burley

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The appearance is good. How's it taste?

I attempted to flue-cure burley (starting with yellowing leaf), and found that burley in particular tastes awful after flue-curing, and never subsequently improves. The outcome will depend on whether or not the color-cured burley has adequately aged prior to being baked. One potential trap with white-stem burleys is that the leaf colors nicely, but more quickly than the leaf's chemical metabolic tasks are completed, in contrast to non-white-stem tobacco varieties. The source of its "white-stemness" is a chlorophyll defect, so the green goes away soon after harvesting.

That having been said, well-aged burley becomes quite tasty when "toasted".

Bob

SeanKelly

It tastes pretty good I would say, a decidedly woody flavor to it. Though it is not burning very well. I left a bowl out to dry over 24 hours and it was still hard to smoke... seems I need to keep a flame on it the whole time to keep it going.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The poor burn may be a sign that the leaf needed to color-cure for longer (say another 3 to 6 months), or be kilned, prior to further finishing. One of the tasks of color-curing and aging is to eliminate albuminous proteins and starches, both of which decrease the burn, and tend to give you a black, rather than white or gray, ash.

It's tough to know, since your are approaching this in a manner that is wholly unfamiliar to me. There is certainly a lot of latitude in how one cures and finishes tobacco, but some methods just don't yield gratifying results.

Bob

SeanKelly

Tomorrow I am going to do 175 degrees F in the oven for another 6 hours and see where I get. I can say for certainty that the ash is black in colour. I know that cigar smokers talk about a white ash as the best ash a cigar could have. I wonder if this is related to the amount of sugars (What i know to be, as starches) are left in the leaf. From my head... we want to ferment all the sugars out of the leaf for best flavour, I imagine that this would produce a more fuller burning tobacco, leaving a whiter ash (something of a more complete combustion)

SeanKelly

So I tried another six hours in the oven at 175 F. There was little need for drying out the tobacco this go around after baking. The tobacco came out just where I would expect it for moisture levels. So I put in 1/4 bowl and started to smoke. The smoke stayed lit and had to light every 4-6 puffs. The colour of the ash was dark grey. I'm going to try out 6 more hours at the same temperature to see ash colour and smoke-ablity. I will say that I noticed that it didn't taste as woody, and maybe more tobacco like. Currently the unsmoked tobacco is giving off a baked raisin smell (as opposed to a fresh out of the package raisin smell - like with fresh commercial cigarettes). I'm going to do another six hours again and see if I can get the smoke-ablity and the ash more in line with Whiteish and cherrying nicely.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member

ChinaVoodoo

Do you ever come to Edmonton? If so, let's sit down for a smoke and you can see that all this learning experience you're having is worth it.

burge

I am in Calgary. Again is art and can show you my press method. Mind you I am a virginia smoker.

ChinaVoodoo

As Burge buys his tobacco from WLT, you could also do the same. At $20ish per lb, and being some of the best tobacco in the world, I shouldn't have to recommend it.

Anyways, happy New Years, fellas.

SeanKelly

Another 6 hours in the oven, putting the total to 24 hours at 175 degrees F has yeilded a nice moderately grey ash tobacco. It cherries reasonably well. I would say that this is what I expected it to be like. The taste is woody in character, though not as woody as the 12 hour and the 18 hour tobacco successively.

burge

You can buy a bunch of burley from Big Bonner at 12 bucks a pound. With shipping works out to be 16 bucks us a pound. Every year at Black Friday Don has a sale Right now I think Bob is on the money with the aging process. That is something you pay for when buying whole leaf. I still keep my motto to try and pay no more than 12 dollars a pound.

Status
Not open for further replies.