Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pics of your sticks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

waikikigun

@Mathaious12 Veins can vary a lot between leaves and between varieties. Some are just easier to work with than others. Rolling pins and molds help. Also, if you want a very pretty finish, you have to apply the wrapper very slowly, so you can really concentrate on stretching the wrapper as much as possible without ripping it. Practice makes perfect, etc. All that said, it looks like a fine cigar to me!

I rolled these last night. I forgot to grab the rolling pin, so they're a little "veiny". But that's OK, cause they'll smoke well and taste great :) (They're also still wet, so the color will even out after they dry.)

View attachment 29301
I appreciate your innovative labeling method....

Mathaious12

@Mathaious12 Veins can vary a lot between leaves and between varieties. Some are just easier to work with than others. Rolling pins and molds help. Also, if you want a very pretty finish, you have to apply the wrapper very slowly, so you can really concentrate on stretching the wrapper as much as possible without ripping it. Practice makes perfect, etc. All that said, it looks like a fine cigar to me!

Thanks for the good info. Would the priming make a difference also, i.e. because it's seco the veins are thicker? I didn't think to look at the wrapper leaf I got, I have been saving it for when I get construction down.

GreenDragon

@waikikigun Thanks, it's my no expense spared method of keeping up with the blends included in each rolling session. :)

I write down the blend(s) as I roll, then put the number on each cigar immediately after applying the wrapper. That links them to the key which is a pad of paper LOL. Usually I roll the blanks on night one, add the wrapper on night two if using a mold, then print and apply labels on night three. It's especially helpful if I'm using up odd scraps of leaves or using a base blend and varying only a single component, like the ligero, over 3-4 cigars. The third night is usually the most fun as I try to make a new theme for each "batch".

KEY

IMG_0717.jpg

Labels - Steampunk theme

labels.jpg

GreenDragon

Thanks for the good info. Would the priming make a difference also, i.e. because it's seco the veins are thicker? I didn't think to look at the wrapper leaf I got, I have been saving it for when I get construction down.

It may to a certain extent, but I've found the variety to be much more the driver. Of course, many wrappers are not labeled with their priming, so who knows what you are getting. For example, Bezuki wrappers go on like butter and have very thin, small veins that are easy to smooth into the body of the cigar. The dark cigar #7 on the end I used a sample of a Mexican wrapper, and the veins are huge! Only way to get them smooth is to use the rolling pin and box press the finished cigar.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
How about a non-fiction theme?

popeye-1.jpg

Bob

tullius

If you're doing this with filler as wrapper, you're doing fine. You'll LOVE working with a proper wrapper.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I guess...

The time has come.
The time is now.
From cyclotrons
To spinach! Wow!

My theme for this cigar Auld Lang Syne.

Garden20200103_4920_cigar_whoKnows_400.jpg

I rolled it so long ago (maybe 3 or 4 months ago) that I have no idea what it is. This cigar, like many of my technical books, has been deprecated.

Please update to version 2020.0103.3.24.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The forecast said 57°F for 2 hours this afternoon, between episodes of rain. On consulting an actual thermometer (analog), the temp never got above 49°F, which is not warm enough for me to sit on my porch, and the rain was continuous. So, alas, that anonymous cigar will need to wait yet another week, before its destruction.

Bob

PressuredLeaf

So I bit the bullet on rolling my own cigars today. I ordered the terroso profundo kit from wlt and some other cigar leaf, and a 7x42 mold from ebay. I chose the 42 ring gauge because I prefer the small corona sized cigars to the goofy burning jaw breakers many commercial companies produce.

Here is my first cigar: IMG_3380.jpgIMG_3381.jpgIMG_3382.jpg it measures ~5"x42 and is composed of 1 cibao corojo Viso leaf, one cibao criollo ligero, a domincan binder, and a habano 2000 wrapper.

I definitely need work on my capping skills, but I think its okay for now. Can't wait for this thing to dry out. How long should I wait before smoking it?

GreenDragon

Smoking a Dr Seuss by the fire pit. Nice, slightly earthy, with a touch of spice at the end.

(Please excuse the weird ash shape, I picked an un-level tile at first setup and watched my cigar promptly roll right off losing my perfect ash head. At least it rolled outside the pit LOL!)

C14C78F8-1502-4283-8369-7B7E282A348F.jpeg

PressuredLeaf

That sure is a beaut of a first cigar. Nice work and good choice on the mold. You must have scooped that nice wood one on ebay more than one of us was watching. Check back and let us know how it smoked

Thank you! Yes I am very impressed by the mold. I remember thinking to myself "wow this chunk of wood seems pricey", but after seeing it in person I am amazed by how close the tolerances are. Totally worth it in my opinion.

Here is stick 3, it measures ~6x42 and has:
1 cibao seco
1 cibao corojo viso
1/2 cibao criollo ligero
a habanoo 2k binder and wrapper.

.IMG_3383.jpgIMG_3384.jpgIMG_3385.jpg

Although it takes me 30 minutes to make a cigar, I am enjoying it alot so far. Cant wait to spark on up

Status
Not open for further replies.