Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pipe Making supplies and sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Jonesy, I'm in the minority here but I am not a fan of flu cured tobacco. Although it tastes sweet it lacks (to me) the various subtle flavors of an air cured tobacco.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Jonesy, I'm in the minority here but I am not a fan of flu cured tobacco. Although it tastes sweet it lacks (to me) the various subtle flavors of an air cured tobacco.
Dude, As a cigar smoker I'm with you. Air colored and kilned works the best for me. Yes, it does take longer. You do have to let it rest after kilning but I think the flavors are worth it. I assume the bright virginias I get for my cig smoking friends are flue cured but I think in general cigs are tasteless.

John

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
...I am not a fan of flu cured tobacco.

I'm with you. ...tasteless.
Flue-cured tobacco adds an additional option to my tobacco blending palette. It's essential to some of the classic English blends. Air-cured and kilned Virginias are a different animal.

Now that I have ample Latakia, I can get pretty close to Early Morning Pipe, Nitecap, John Cotton's #1 & 2, and the fabled Balkan Sobranie White, but only with a bright flue-cured Virginia. The expedient of substituting air-cured and kilned Virginia still makes some nice pipe blends, but the overall taste is different. And you can't hide the lack of flue-cured Virginia with Latakia and Perique.

If you make a cigar of flue-cured, you basically have a fat cigarette, at least when it comes to taste and aroma.

Although all options are on the table when I begin a blending process, it always comes down to what I enjoy. I don't smoke cigarettes, but I love many of the classic pipe blends. So I am thrilled to be able to create flue-cured leaf, and have it available for my blending. (Plus, it bypasses the curing shed, allowing me to grow more plants than would otherwise be practical.)

I love my flue-cured, but only for specific uses.

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I love my flue-cured, but only for specific uses.

Bob

That's more or less how I feel. I use flue cured for a specific purpose and that is to make "Randy's Sobranie" which is a blend that is based on one of the original Balkan Sobranie mixing cards. Other than that I'm just not a fan of flue cured.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I'll post the info later today. Right now I have to go replace another rusted brake line on my 86 Jetta, then replace the spark plugs on my daughter's van, watch the football game, drain an oil tank and add a filter, and do some mowing.

jojjas

I'll post the info later today. Right now I have to go replace another rusted brake line on my 86 Jetta, then replace the spark plugs on my daughter's van, watch the football game, drain an oil tank and add a filter, and do some mowing.

Dont kill yourself " with things must to do " before we have that info :D:eek:;)

Brown Thumb

I know the feeling, My kid just informed me my truck has a flat tire.
Screw It, I will deal with it in the morning:mad:

Boboro

The mowin sounds fun. The rest canwate.

Status
Not open for further replies.