Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

PirateGhost's 1st Year Grow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indianamac

You may also want to consider starting over with some really fine seed starting mix if you still have seed. Those look like one week old seedlings. You'll have time if you hurry.

I would follow Knuck's advice here. This way, you have a back up crop. If these are indeed a month old, something has slowed them way down. Mine are a month old and have been under lights til this weekend:

McFugly handrolled cigars 003.jpg

The ones below were just transplanted yesterday and are also a month old.
McFugly handrolled cigars 007.jpg

You may be able to transplant yours into some new potting mix and they be ok. Do you have the spare seed to start over? If so, better safe than sorry.

With the help of these good fellas on this here website, you'll be ok!! They've helped this newbie alot. Good luck with your grow.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Hell, I would just thin them to a single best seedling per pot. If you need more plants, setup new pots and transplant the pulled seedlings. Make sure they have enough light, and keep the trays at 70ºF or better. They will grow, once they get a little momentum. I don't recall if you've given them any fertilizer. (I never add fert to seedlings, since I start in a blend using Miracle Gro peat.)

You might also set up a few cups that are re-seeded over sifted soil, just as a backup. But, if those were my plants in the latest pics, I would be comfortable just thinning them. It's rather late in my neck of the woods for starting seed.

Bob

Indianamac

So is there a way to still save the plants, or do I need to start most of my plants over?

I would transplant what you have, into individual cells and in new potting soil mix. I used regular potting soil for my grow, nothing fancy. I would think that you should see them growing within the week, if they're going to make it.

Your's may be stunted or stunned from being too wet early on, so I would follow Knuck's and Bob's advice and start some more seeds, if you have them. If these make it after you transplant, then all is well. If not, then the new seeds that you start will atleast save your season.

Didn't you say in an earlier post, that the epsom salt looked like it was helping? They may be ok, transplant and see.

Good luck

PirateGhost

The epsom salt made most of my plants improve, maybe 4 or 5 cells are probably lost cause they're still white as hell and not growing. I started adding Miracle Grow fert last night.

PirateGhost

I want say thanks to everyone who have taken a ton of time helping me out correcting all my mistakes. I sowed 5 silk leaf cells and 5 dark shirazi just now. Im broke as hell, so I shifted all the wood chips out of the potting soil so that it's just soil now, couldn't get a new bag of soil. I'll be transplanting the other seedlings soon.

DGBAMA

Yours are Not lost. My VA gold did not get put in separate cells until 8 weeks after sowing. As soon as they each got their own soil they took off.

Here they are when separated to cells:
13975222081180.jpg

And just two weeks later:
13975222823071.jpg

If you are pinched for funds, fancy starting trays are unnecessary. My backups are just in foil turkey pans with a couple inches of soil and doing well:IMG_20140315_225221_005.jpg
13975229428530.jpg

PirateGhost

I think I may have failed even harder now with this crop. Maybe 3-6 of my cells now look like this. I've been following everyone's advice about watering and nutrients etc etc. this plant was my strongest/healthiest cell and now it looks like this today.

Attachments

• 20140426_061611.jpg
    20140426_061611.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 73

PirateGhost

Looked in the grow room and that makes perfect sense. Blinds are all the way up, grow lamp on, (I txtd him about it just now) my bro saw the heating mat unplugged and he plugged it back in. >.>

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
They do look like crispy critters but tobacco is really hard to kill. Give them partial shade and some water and see if they recover.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Also if You over fertalize them that will happen. If they turn white at any time, That is sun burn. Don't let the heat mat get to hot as well. They may recover as Jitter said, give it a try. They also may need some air circulation. Put a fan on low in there if not.

PirateGhost

I wasn't able to save the plants so they're gone, some other plants eventually ended up wilting and dying, one plant is pretty much struggling to make it but can make it. Im sad to say that the entire crop has been a wash at this point. I learned that I shouldn't have tried to grow tobacco when I was really broke and buying the cheapest supplies. I used a cheap grow lamp that was pretty much too hot for tobacco, cheap peat cells, and the tray I had seemed to be pretty bad since it wasn't really leveled. Gonna stock up on the supplies people on the forums use through the next few months so that next season I can do a crop correctly instead of getting by on doing the bare minimum. Thank you to everyone who helped, I have learned a ton from this already.

PirateGhost

I was going to look in to the 1020 cells people have been using and changing what I use for a basin to put my cells in for watering and see how that goes. The Shirazi dark has yet to sprout still, but that's due to other factors atm.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
You may want to consider purchasing a couple of dozen starts from BigBonner. Then you'll have something to grow and learn with. When they arrive, they'll be ready to put into the ground.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.