Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Powermatc shredder

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbumgar

Got my powermatic shredder today. Sure beats using a pasta blender and food processor. I run it through once and presto tobacco ready to use with my powermatic electric injector. I held my breath when I bought it because it is pricey but the money was well spent.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
It is the best shredder money can buy. It seems expensive but when you consider the thousands of dollars you save in the very first year by growing/buying your own whole leaf it is actually quite cheap price wise!

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Bad news...

Just talked to the manufacturer and the Powermatic S...it is officially OUT OF PRODUCTION and there are zero in inventory. There is an outside chance of getting some from distributors who nobody knows about, but those prospects are slim. The new model prototype isn't scheduled to to be ready for another two weeks. Looks like there is going to be a lot of manual shredders being sold.

Take care of the one you have...there might not be no more for a while.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Dam!!!
I was just thinking TODAY of buying another to keep for long term storage. I was thinking.. what if they stopped making these?

Don, any idea what the new version will be?

Brown Thumb

I just gave mine a tune up.
Some of the lock tighted screws were loose again.
I can't wait for the new model to come out.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Guys. I had to make some internal adjustments to my Powermatic manual injector. Be aware that the allen screws on the shredder and injector are metric so don't strip them out with standard allen drivers.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I do have a little insight...

I spoke with a couple of people trying to explain to them how many shredders I sell and that my goal was to sell them as affordably as possible (ulterior motives) and I finally got their attention. I sell more shredders than anyone else, so why shouldn't I have the distributorship?

There are two improvements being made. One is, the new model will be easier to clean. Not exactly sure what that means, but it sounds like they're putting a dust guard under the gear housing....just like what you guys have been saying for over a year. The other thing is a more powerful motor. A comment was made about people using these commercially and they are improving this model for that reason.

I have no sence of what the new model will cost, but bigger motors do cost more than little ones, so I'd expect some price increase.

I'll keep you guys updated as soon as I hear anything. Maybe we can get one to test drive for them :)

Aaron

Hey Don, you mentioned a while back you were trying to get a hold of some manual shredders from another manufacturer. Any update on those?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Working on it, but having a tough time communicating with the manufacturer. Language barrier and google translate doesn't know what either one of us is talking about.

Still working on it though.

DGBAMA

I just hope the new model is made up of worthwhile modifications to the existing/proven platform and not completely "reengineered" and "redesigned" which means all of us figuring out new "bugs" in the system.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I just hope the new model is made up of worthwhile modifications to the existing/proven platform and not completely "reengineered" and "redesigned" which means all of us figuring out new "bugs" in the system.

Isn't that the truth, but I'm sure we're up to the task. This time, we'll just pass one around though.

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
Thats a bummer, I like my powermatic and I am so glad I got one when I did. I came here to originally post that For the dollars saved annually, that I was probably going to buy one each year for the next 2-3 years.

I hope you'll be able to work it out to get a new shredder on the market, I'll certianly be buying one of those. If I had to put my 2 bits in about the new one, I would say I'd like to see it cut a little longer shred. The width of the shred is perfect but I think the length (1/2" - 1") is a little short for my taste based on the cut of fine cut tobacco from what I'd but by the tin from a store. But I won't complain, I'd be lost with out my shredder. Your success at getting a new one out is our success. My fingers are crossed for...and me...and everyone else who'll need a new or replacement shredder.

DGBAMA

I will second the longer cut shred, if they are still taking suggestions for design improvement.

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
When I look at the shred of the fine cut tobacco I still buy from time to time. It looks to be about .2mm - .3mm and about 2" - 2.5" long. The reason I suggest a longer ribbon is that after the man handeling of the tobacco from blending it with other tobacco and mixing in a casing causes the ribbon to break or tear. Although it might be tougher to blend a longer ribbon tobacco cut, I might just start preblending it before I shred it so I can reduce the handeling of the shredded tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.