Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

powermatic shredder problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBob

Founding Member
I recently experienced a motor overheat issue with an older Powermatic shredder. The problem was a loose screw on a gear causing binding and subsequent overheating of the motor. The gear was damaged and needed to be replaced. Powermatic would not warrantee the repair due to the age being 18 months and no warranty registration card was sent in. The part was $20.00 + $5.00 postage.
This problem occurred on other shredders earlier and the screws were checked about a year ago and was fine at that time. I guess that it should have been checked again and this problem would have been avoided.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
After reading DrBob's post, I checked the screws on my one year old shredder. I had one loose screw. I reattached it with some blue loctite. It did not appear to have had locktite on it from the factory, so it would be a good idea to give them a check every once in awhile. If you find a loose one, the blue loctite will allow the screw to be removed later if you need to. The red loctite usually requires heat (like a torch or soldering gun) to be able to get the screw back out.

DrBob

Founding Member
just pop the cover off. check all screws. I can not take a picture of this shredder because it belongs to a friend of mine and I was borrowing it. I bought a new shredder from Don immediately when the problem occurred so we would have a shredder to use until my buddy's shredder got fixed. I delayed buying one until there were a lot more shredders built and any problems were fixed. The new one is an improved product and I would not hesitate to recommend anyone purchase one.
Powermatic was good to deal with he said and I am sure they will be good in the future. Buying another one proves my faith in Powermatic.

DrBob

Founding Member
just examined the new shredder. I do not think there will be an issue with it. far improved

bonehead

i have the old shredder with the round vent hole in the front and the only problem i ever had was after (years?) operator error. some idiot named bonehead ran to much high case leaf through it to quickly. i think the problem was the idiot only cleaned it by hitting reverse after finishing shredding sometimes. i took it apart and cleaned it, put it back togather and it is shredding like new. a little maintnance goes a long way. i would buy another one in an instant but mine keeps chugging along.

bonehead

You never used locktite on the screws:confused:
if you were talking to me no. everything was tite. i still have to remove the cover again to grease the gears because i put it back togather without greasing them. i needed a smoke and the grease was out in the workshop frozen out back.

Brown Thumb

That is a second design model with whole in the front.
First design have ribs on the front, You said old I figured first design.
But that is Good to know the problem was addressed and taken care by powermatic.
I can't wait until the new Leaf Muncher Comes out. You never know when you will need a backup, older model around.
Grease is over rated, I change my oil when I buy a new (used and abused car)

DrBob

Founding Member
the new machine I got last week must be about the 4th generation. My buddy Don got his in August 2012. Buddy Rod got his in April 2013 and it has the grease cups. I got mine Jan 6 2014 and it has the grease cups also and it seems that the motor is bigger too. It has more temperature sensors it seems and the cooling fan stays on all the time. I am glad I waited.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I've had mine about a year or a little longer. It was the second model that had the cooling fan added.

One way to add life to your shredder is to derib and shred in one operation. It is just as fast or faster than deribbing and shredding in two operations. Most guys do all their deribbing first and then feed the machine as hard and fast as they can go, with very little break for the machine until they're done shredding everything they've deribbed. This works the machine pretty hard, especially if you're feeding alot of leaf fast.

I sit at the shredder with a bag of whole leaf in my lap and a trash can next to me. I derib a leaf and feed it into the machine. While it's shredding, I am deribbing the next leaf. The first leaf usually finishes before I can derib the next leaf and the machine shuts off. Then I feed the next leaf. I'm feeding one leaf at a time, but since I'm deribbing at the same time, I'm shredding in about the same amount of time that it takes most people to derib only.This way the machine is lightly used and gets a short break between leaves. I truly believe that this has to add life to the machine and is just as fast.

DrBob

Founding Member
I think the same as you do. My buddy Don would shred 5# at a time, de-rib it all and then shred it all at one time. I would do just as you do and give it rest time as I de ribbed and shredded there fore giving it many breaks in between.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
The method works really good with the way I make my blend as I shred. http://fairtradetobacco.com/showthread.php?3609-Shredding-Blending-by-Volume I just change the variety and keep going. I only shred a pound at a time and that really cuts down on the build up of resin. The stuff has time to dry between uses and just falls out next time I shred. I run the machine backwards a little bit before and after shredding. I haven't needed to clean my shredder a single time since I've owned it and it's never gummed or jammed.

DrBob

Founding Member
I would take it apart by pulling both side covers and expose the motor and blow it out with compressed air at this time. It may be getting dusty in the motor

winston-smoker

cl-1002-1705-890x890.jpg

Consider using the Giotto air rocket blaster instead of compressed air? I just got one of these for cleaning of ventilation ducts of my Fresh Choice cigarette-making machine.

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 51

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Consider using the Giotto air rocket blaster instead of compressed air? I just got one of these for cleaning of ventilation ducts of my Fresh Choice cigarette-making machine.

I already have some cans of the compressed air used for cleaning keyboards. That should do the job. That's a pretty neat looking kit though, is that a squeeze bulb?

winston-smoker

Yes, it's a squeeze bulb, and it outputs a pretty forceful stream of air. What I got was just the "rocket blaster," not the entire kit. It's selling on Amazon for $9.90 with free shipping (the Amazon Marketplace seller offers the free shipping, so it doesn't require a $35 minimum order from Amazon to get free shipping). There's another "model" in which the squeeze bulb is black with a red stem.

DrBob

Founding Member
I think that just about anything would work. too much force could cause damage however. canned air would be great

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I need to get one to keep from having to buy the canned air. It would pay for itself after awhile. Thanks for posting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.