Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
all my burley i grew this year turned out very smooth,,,

i grew,

14l8
white stock
tn-90

i did kiln the hell out of all of it, and paid special attention of manually bringing it, in and out of case, while in the kiln,

but as a end product,

my burley is just right for a cigg. blend,

marksctm

I've grown quite a few different Burley varieties and have come to the conclusion that commercially produced Burley almost always needs to be toasted in order for it to be palatable.
I toasted a batch of my Burley 3 nights ago and love the way it came out.
I had smoked some of the burley before in my cigarettes, but it was strong and over powered everything.
Now I'm smoking 2/3 home grown in my cigs and the taste is nice and smooth.
Don't know about other burley types, but this strong stuff that I grew will all be toasted.
Great Taste... Less Filling!
Thanks!

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I toasted a batch of my Burley 3 nights ago and love the way it came out.
I had smoked some of the burley before in my cigarettes, but it was strong and over powered everything.
Now I'm smoking 2/3 home grown in my cigs and the taste is nice and smooth.
Don't know about other burley types, but this strong stuff that I grew will all be toasted.
Great Taste... Less Filling!
Thanks!
I have the same opinion of burley. Are you saying it is milder after toasting or less bite or what. Did you toast shredded or whole leaf? What was YOUR toasting time/temp?

Thanks,

John

DonH

Milder and less bite, I've found. For Pipe tobacco I've found that toasting all the varieties makes a huge difference. For cigarettes only Burley needs to be toasted.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Burley is a deceptive variety. Most burleys will color-cure more rapidly than other varieties. In most varieties, the two disconnected processes of yellowing and converting carbs and proteins occur in synchrony. Their "aging" can often be judged by their color. But white-stem burleys are out of sync. They color rapidly, but seem to convert carbs and proteins more slowly. So, going by color alone, burleys appear to be ready sooner than other varieties, but actually may take longer to smooth out their taste and aroma.

My general impression is that sometime around Thanksgiving (late November), unkilned burley becomes smokable, though still notably harsh. By late spring of the year following harvest, hanging burley has improved dramatically.

I would encourage you to set aside some of the burley leaf, and let it age for 6 months or more. At that point, its "raw" aroma has dissipated, and it becomes a much nicer smoke. While toasting helps initially, the heat of toasting will significantly limit its natural aging process.

Bob

DonH

True, I only toast for iimmediate use. But I've found toasting helps even with aged Burley.

marksctm

I have the same opinion of burley. Are you saying it is milder after toasting or less bite or what. Did you toast shredded or whole leaf? What was YOUR toasting time/temp?

Thanks,

John

John,

It was much milder, and less bite if any at all.
I toasted whole leaf, sprayed with a mist bottle, at 250 degrees in till crispy, removed, mist with water, toast again. I did this 3 or 4 times.
Brought it up in case so I could remove mid rib, and roll it up, and cut it thin, chiffonade style with a good knife, then spread out and let dry 45 minutes to an hour, or dry enough to smoke.
Next batch I'm going to cut it up, then toast. So I can toast more at a time, but I really like burley much better toasted, and will toast the burley I grew this year, but leaving a lot of hands to age a year or more to compare.

And I'm toasting it to smoke right away also.

PICT0007 _2__0001.jpg PICT0007 _2__0002.jpg PICT0007 _2__0003.jpg

Last edited:

SmokeStack

Chris, thank you for posting your toasting method. I am getting ready to toast some Burley according to another posted method that differs a little from your process. The posted method to which I am referring says to put the Burley in the oven for an hour at 150 degrees, then put it in the oven for 10 minutes at 250 degrees.

I am curious as to why you misted the tobacco with water and placed in the oven at 250 degrees until crispy and then repeated the process a few times. Why did you mist with water? I am by no means saying that your method is better or worse, I am just trying to understand the differences between the two methods.

Also, just trying to avoid making charcoal.:cool:

marksctm

SmokeStack,
I had read the post of FmGrowIt (post#1 in this thread) where he used a little Hershey syrup in the water to mist the tobacco.
I just wanted to use plain water to try the first time.
I'm new to everything tobacco, and the shed is packed full of hanging leaf, so I thought I got enough tobacco to try different ideas on.
I also toasted some with the syrup and with that tobacco, once and a while I'll get just a very, very small hint of chocolate, but if you didn't know it had been sprayed with the syrup, I don't think you would know it had chocolate in the water.
And for spraying and toasting over and over, like I said, I'm new to all this and my burley was so strong, I didn't think it could make it any stronger by toasting it more than once.
Hell! I might spray some with BEER! and toast it to see what it taste like.
But I have been smoking it with my pound of store bought,(I know that's a no,no, store bought) tobacco, and it taste better than before it was toasted, I'm mixing about 50/50 my tobacco and store bought.

SmokeStack

I am new relatively new to all of this too as this is my first year growing. I have tried to kiln some TN90 Burley and let it age further for a few months and it is still very harsh. I thought that I would give toasting a try. I guess it is time to start experimenting. I bought an oven thermometer so I'm ready to start.

SmokeStack

Milder and less bite, I've found. For Pipe tobacco I've found that toasting all the varieties makes a huge difference. For cigarettes only Burley needs to be toasted.

DonH, have you tried toasting flue-cured Virginia Bright Leaf? It seems that flue-cured tobacco cannot be kilned since the flue-curing process deactivates the enzymes that allow tobacco to age. I found that flue-cured Virginias are suitable for cigarettes but they are to harsh for pipe smoking. I was under the impression that toasting was for Burleys only, but you mentioned that you toasted all varieties. If you have toasted flue-cured tobacco (like Virginia Bright Leaf), could you share your results as to how it has changed? Did you notice a change in sweetness? I would greatly appreciate it.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Flue-cured Virginias are the bright yellow, lemon Virginia of commercial pipe tobacco blends. In a pipe, it tends to cause tongue bite, unless you slowly "sip" it. The other solution in pipe blending is to mix it with Perique-processed tobacco. My usual formula is 5 parts flue-cured to 3 parts Perique. The Perique significantly raises the pH, and removes the tongue bite (and boosts nicotine absorption).

Bob

DonH

DonH, have you tried toasting flue-cured Virginia Bright Leaf? It seems that flue-cured tobacco cannot be kilned since the flue-curing process deactivates the enzymes that allow tobacco to age. I found that flue-cured Virginias are suitable for cigarettes but they are to harsh for pipe smoking. I was under the impression that toasting was for Burleys only, but you mentioned that you toasted all varieties. If you have toasted flue-cured tobacco (like Virginia Bright Leaf), could you share your results as to how it has changed? Did you notice a change in sweetness? I would greatly appreciate it.
Yes I've had great success toasting flue cured for pipe tobacco. Takes away most of the tongue bite. Makes a huge difference. So now I toast all varieties for pipe tobacco. My pipe blends compare well with the high end store bought stuff. Before I toasted it it was pretty harsh.

DonH

Yes I've had great success toasting flue cured for pipe tobacco. Takes away most of the tongue bite. Makes a huge difference. So now I toast all varieties for pipe tobacco. My pipe blends compare well with the high end store bought stuff. Before I toasted it it was pretty harsh.
As for sweetness, I'm not sure because so far I've toasted after blending, not separate by individual variety.

DonH

Also, I read somewhere that some store bought pipe tobacco makers dry the tobacco after casing by rolling it in heated drums which ends up toasting it.

AmaxB

Hi guys
Am not a grower but will do my first this coming spring I need to know so much more about tobacco. I have been playing around with VA Bright and 2 types of burly had a great tasting mix kind of earthy / nutty and smooth than lost it. Did not change any thing, I think it is due to misting and storing. Any way it lead me to this thread while searching for more info. I found an interesting site and thought I would share it below is a bit of what I read there and may be of help for others visiting or members of this forum.
The link to the site is at the bottom

According to literature on the subject (16,17) su ar was.introduced into U. S. blended cigarettes in 19]3 as a result of a decline in chewing tobacco manufacturiug, utilizing essentially the same tobacco-casing formulation. The resuiting taste was instantly accepted by the American public. The types and;amounts of various su ars added to tobacco blends will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and from blend to blend. According to Abdallah (3), the type and amount of added su ar plays a dominant role in the smoking quality of the blend. Indeed, Shmuk (1.8) is said to have demonstrated that the quality of tobacco varies in direct relation to soluble su ars and in inverse relationship to proteins contained in the cured and aged or fermented leaf. Abdallah (3) has stated that "two impo rtant sweetening agents in cigarette manufacture in the.United States are maple sugar and honey, which are both used - in saucing or ca_ sing of cigarette tobaccos because of the particular aroma they impart to fresh cigarettes and cigarette smoke. Licorice has been used extensively and it is considered as a possible competitor to sucrose in cigarette manufacture." Experiments have also been carried out (19) on the evaluation of high- flavored maple sugar as a casing agent in cigarette tobaccos. Needless to say, the casing and flavoring agents used by manufacturers vary widely and the formulae are closely guarded secrets. One of the reasons advanced (3,18) for separately casing burley tobacco is to achieve a balance of sugars in the blend since burley tobacco contains little, if any, sugar. The effect of the addition of sugar and humectants on the filling power of burley tobacco is shown in Figures 35C.1 and 35C.3, but an even more drastic loss in filling power with sugar addition is experienced with application to Turkish (oriental) or flue-cured tobacco. An example of the effect of the addition of casing sugar (invert) solution on the filling power of blended Turkish leaf is shown in Figure 34C.1 (10). This loss in filling power, is so great that most of the casing su ars are applied to burley tobacco. on 0 0) cn N w cn 0 0

Experiments have been conducted (20) to determine the uniformity of su ar distribution when the su ar is'applied to burley tobacco which, initially, ~ contains no sugar. Even under optimum conditions, it was found that different 'parts-of-the strip evidently have different-absorpfT,)n'capacities. This was determined by chemical analysis of various screen fractions of the cased burley. The results are Shown as Figure 34C.2. The suGar content was found to decrease as strand length'increased. The filling power increased, as expected, with increased strand length. By way of summary: (a) Humectants are added to retard the rate of gain or loss of moisture from the tobacco blend, (b) Sugars are added to achieve a "sugar balance" between burley and flue-cured tobacco, (c) Both humectants and su ars are added to improve tobacco smoking quality and to improve the shelf- life of the product, (d) Both are added to lubricate the tobacco so that it may cut more easily without•shattering, and (e) The addition of both humectants and su ars causes a loss of filling power of the blend which, i.n the case of burley tobacco, may be partially offset by roasting the tobacco. I i

http://tobaccodocuments.org/rjr/506523494-3505.html

I off to buy some tubs to case my Burley

AmaxB

Prior experiment: I got some American VAFC (was strong and harsh) Canadian Bright FC (very earthy taste but mild) and few other types I spent some time and neatly layed out each leaf spraying with honey water till damp than folded and bagged and let stand 2 days. Removed from bags and laid them out on table to dry. When dry enough I shredded and re-bagged than tossed em into a cardboard box (the box not closed). Last night made 2 and a half weeks the tobacco had set there, I opened the American VAfc and the Canadian Bright FC it had dried out pretty good. I mixed a 50 / 50 of the two tobaccos thinking it was going to be a harsh smoke cause it was so dry. Rolled one up lit it and was surprised, it was smooth and much like a Marlboro. Re-hydrated a bit and it stayed the same.

Just got bac from shopping am going to case some burley 2012 crop and some burley aged a few years (the aged stuff is strong on ammonia). I bought 2 big tubs bout 3' x 2' x 9" am going to make a bath of water, sugared honey, and log cabin maple syrup in one tub soak the burley and hang to dry with worm air blowing on it a little til it can be shredded. The second tub I'll use Anise and Molasses. The Burley the aged stuff that is strong on ammonia I'll ferment after the bath straight out of the tub.
Any Ideas about this are welcome input.

I really need to upload an avatar pic and do a sig if I'm going to be posting (will do that soon)
I love my smokes / your a good bunch , been reading a lot of the threads / hope I can fit in to your tight group.

AmaxB

Thanks leverhead thought it would interest some I put it on my tool bar and will go back to read more.
Doing things in my basement am going down now to mix some sauce with the honey and maple syrup will be interesting for me. I'll post my thoughts on the out come.

Status
Not open for further replies.