Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Propose Your Desired New Seed Bank Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Use this thread to propose tobacco varieties that you believe might be valuable in the FTT Seed Bank. If you can explain why a particular variety is valuable, all the better, but it's not necessary to know why.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Rare and scarce. Someone needs to safeguard these varieties from extinction or dilution with other strains.

darren1979

First Time Grower
Heres my thinking, each and every variety is as important as the next. Just some seeds are harder to come by. It would be sods law to drop a common variety like Virginia gold and 20 years down the line telling my kids how good it was before a hybrid come a long and took over the market, now everyone grows the hybrid.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
...each and every variety is as important as the next.
I'll have to strongly disagree--at least in the context of what the FTT seed bank should attempt. There is a real cost associated with the storage, cataloging and management of each additional seed batch held in a seed bank. Resources are limited. While ARS-GRIN aspired to save every accession of every variety of tobacco, it was the quantifiable expense of doing so that caused it to shut down its Nicotiana distribution.

If you suggest every unique name that you come across, simply because it's unfamiliar, then this thread will be of little value in guiding a focused effort.

Any philanthropists among the forum members are invited to chime-in here and change my thoughts on this.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I'll have to strongly disagree--at least in the context of what the FTT seed bank should attempt. There is a real cost associated with the storage, cataloging and management of each additional seed batch held in a seed bank. Resources are limited. While ARS-GRIN aspired to save every accession of every variety of tobacco, it was the quantifiable expense of doing so that caused it to shut down its Nicotiana distribution.

If you suggest every unique name that you come across, simply because it's unfamiliar, then this thread will be of little value in guiding a focused effort.

Any philanthropists among the forum members are invited to chime-in here and change my thoughts on this.

Bob

Could you lay out some simple guidelines to keep the suggestions within accepted parameters? Perhaps a short Seed Bank mission statement. Is it's purpose to preserve endangered seed varieties? Keep the most wanted seed available to the membership? I realize the need to replenish every five years and the more seed in stock, the more work involved. We have a thread brainstorming ideas to lessen the load on you and Don, so if we keep this thread dedicated to the contents of the inventory itself, perhaps we need to know what the curators of the Seed Bank have in mind in terms of it's purpose. There will always be a few guys around with the oddball seed, I guess, so maybe scarcity or rarity isn't exactly the criteria you're looking for. Give us a nudge in the right direction, please.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
No purportedly pure seed is turned away from the seed bank. The purpose of this thread is to ask:

What specific varieties do you believe need to be added to the seed bank?

...within accepted parameters
  • know the identity of the seed
  • make a best effort to assure varietal purity
  • fully label any seed sent to the seed bank

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I'm good on varieties, but I just hit the donate button and made another contribution to the effort. You also have my standing offer of assistance any time you need it. Just let me know. You guys are providing one hell of a service and I hope I speak for all the guys when I say it is greatly appreciated.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Personally, I think we're very well covered in the cigarette types and varieties. That being said, I'd still pursue Turkish/Oriental varieties and I'm always looking for Red and White Burley.

Cigar fillers could be a huge benefit to the seed bank as the production minded attitude has is also embedded in that industry.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My new varieties for this year (in addition to 4 FTT seed bank refreshes) will be:
  • Celikhan (Oriental) - 2nd attempt
  • Costa Rica 584 (an interesting cigar variety) - not sure of the class yet
  • Tabasqueño Prieto (a Mexican primitive that is likely a cigar filler)
They will, of course go into the FTT seed bank.

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I just opened a GRIN envelope of Long Red and it was empty. I don't know if I sent any of these seeds out last year or not. I suspect I didn't because I would not have sent the last seed to anyone. Unfortunately, it appears as if this envelope was empty when it was received.

I think this variety would be worth having in the seed bank.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I attempted (numerous times) to germinate Long Red for 2012 (seed from Nicotiana Project), but it was a bust. I also have none of the seed. I agree, it would be a good cigar filler variety to preserve.

If someone can send seed for Long Red (not the same as PA Red) to the seed bank, or plan to grow it this season, please post a note here. Otherwise I will try to track some down.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
New Hope Seed lists Long Red but it is currently out of stock. I had my name and e-mail added to the waiting list for the seed. If you can't find it before then, I will buy seed and do a grow out.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Fyi some tobacco appeared on the grin seems developed for drought conditions, available for request, other than drought though doesn't seem very interesting. And all tobacco is resistant to drought. Would be great to see some more varieties showing up.

indianjoe

Founding Member
Hey,
I grew long red last season. When I get back to the farm I will check on the seed availability.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Bob is long red also called Havana long red? because nextharvest.com have it listed.

I did a search in the GRIN data base for every N. Tabacum accession ever held at the USDA and there is no "Havana Long Red". There is no accession named Beinhart either and I know Beinhart is one of the most used N. Tabacum used in crossing because of it's disease resistance.

We might have to find another source for name verification purposes.

indianjoe

Founding Member
I do not know which "long red" that I have, but it grew similar to "Lonnie's havana" in size and appearence. However, the hornworms loved it as well as any I grew in an upper field grow and I only saved one plant from it. The leaves are elongated and shaped like the havana. It now appears after months of air-curing with that darker brownish color. I have not tasted it as of yet. The seeds originated from oldvermonter.

ChuckP

Bob is long red also called Havana long red? because nextharvest.com have it listed.

Howdy Darren,

Havana Long Red is a cross of Havana 608 & Long Red. I made some comments about HLR and Long Red on HTGT:

BurnRate brought a couple of cigars wrapped in Havana Long Red and Little Dutch filler. The HLR wrapper had a toothy spicy flavor that was very cameroon-esque. Very flavorful!! It had a nice deep red colour to it!

I just smoked fermented Long Red this afternoon in my pipe and it has a full flavored spicy pepperish taste with a cedar flavor to it! It would probably blend well with a lighter tobacco like Havana Ottertail and Wisconsin Seedleaf.

I'm on planning on growing some HLR and am starting to think about buying another dozen organza bags and bagging some more varieties like HLR. [Update]: seedman.com has HLR seeds for sale, if interested.

HTH - Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.