Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Quitting commercial cigarettes

Davo

Ahi Ka - Well-Known Member
Heya,

I have a mate who is wanting to give up smoking tailies. I’m a pipe smoker and have given her a pipe and some tobacco which she loves, but only feels like smoking it in the weekends when she can relax. During the week however she still craves a quick smoke. She is not a big smoker, maybe 1-3 packs a week I think.

my understanding is that a lot of the addiction aspect is fueled by chemicals used to lace the pre rolled stuff? Is that correct?

would a step in the right direction be to move to just smoking RYO tobacco? Or is most of the commercial stuff pretty much the same as what’s in the packs? Would it be best for her to move straight onto WLT stuff or homegrown?

thanks for helping a muddled piper out.

cheers

Alpine

The addiction is caused by nicotine. Some of the chemicals added to commercial tobacco enhance the absorption of nicotine through the lungs (IIRC ammonia based compounds).
A few RYO baccy pouches claim to be “treated with water only” and it may or may not be true... you decide. BUT this statement tells you nothing about what was added to the tobacco before it reached that particular factory.
Growing (and rolling and smoking) your own gives total control over the process, and provides a more natural smoke but this in no way means that it’s a less harmful habit! Smoking is not good for health, period.
Switching from commercial to homegrown involves a short period of nicotine crave in my experience, but nothing overwhelming.
My remedy has been growing, curing and smoking yellow rusticas to add to my everyday blend. More nic per cig equals less cigs per day.

pier

Bill Mitchell

Hi Dave
I used to smoke Horizon red cigarettes and then moved to RYO of the same brand. Although I don't know the composition of this tobacco they both tasted the same, so they are probably the same.
When I changed tobacco to Manitou organic tobacco my coughing was dramatically reduced. Again I don't know anything about what is in either tobacco but Manitou seemed better for me.
This is available online from Discount T (Porirua) or Wicked Habits (Glen Eden) Organic certification must mean something.