Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Rainmax Grow log 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

forumdotabaco

I hope for the best.
I will not write postcards this year so I wish you all the best from Spain, where I'm enjoying summer holidays with my family. At the moment San Sebastian, yesterday Bilbao and Goggenheim.
If you have any wishes what to bring you from here, now is the time....
tomrow I will check for puros.

hey Portugal as better beaches and is cheaper lol

rainmax

Founding Member
There is something I want to share with you. I was very satisfied with Prilep last year and I have about 100 plants in different locations this year. I put plants about 20-25 cm (9-10 inch) apart.
In front of my house where I have grown orientals last year I found one plant very high which is not common for Prilep. I made this carton with measures in centimeters but it is 2 meters (8 inch) tall.
This prilep is 160+ cm (63 inch) tall and still growing. It has 52 leaves and soon it will make bud head. It is in shade until 9 in the morning and on sunshine until 6 PM. We have to much rain this year so it won't be so tasty like last year but it is impressive plant.

prilepbig.jpg prilepbig1.jpg

Other strains also act differently than last year. Little dutch is really little and seek. Some plants are less than 20 inch tall with bud heads.

littledutchsmall.jpg

Jalapa, Penn.Red, Dom.Olor, Timor, BS Basma are seek.
Bolivia Criollo Black is nice. Some of the plants show sign of not so green. Maybe I should fertilize it a bit or is just to much water.

bolcribl.jpg

Bucak

bucak.jpg

Comstock Spanish

comstockspanish.jpg

Prilep 66-9/7 infront, behind left Comstock sp. and right Bucak.

prilepcomspbucak.jpg

rainmax

Founding Member
No, no, no. This weeds are fresh, we had lots of rains lately. Tobacco has enough space. I believe that is virus or some other sickness. In this location I have 12 plants and only one is big enough. Maybe is something under. Vole?

But I will clean the weeds.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
You have some gorgeous plants. Your leaf is very clean what pests do you have? You have done a great job.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
In 2013, my Prilep 66-9/7 reached a height of 52" to the crowfoot. You should collect seed from that tall one, and plant it next year, to see if you have a new mutation. The Prilep Institute might be interested.

Bob

rainmax

Founding Member
You have some gorgeous plants. Your leaf is very clean what pests do you have? You have done a great job.

I have problems with Trialeurodes vaporariorum, snails, slugs, grasshoppers, caterpillars,...like everybody. I check lives regular, but sometimes I miss something. The worst this year so far was snails but I collect them with hands 30 pounds at least. Now the tobacco is stronger I have problems with grasshoppers which literary cut my lives for fun. I hate this kind of behavior. I still didn't find solution for whitefly. Any recommendation?

In 2013, my Prilep 66-9/7 reached a height of 52" to the crowfoot. You should collect seed from that tall one, and plant it next year, to see if you have a new mutation. The Prilep Institute might be interested.

Bob

I don't think that big plants give you more quality product but if this Prilep can give me 60 or more lives that would be interesting. I will cover it anyway. I still have original seeds for few years if something goes wrong.
I thought that I have problems with tobacco this year and that is some kind of mine mistake but I also get word from Macedonia and Prilep. They have lots of problems this year too. So it is not so good year for tobacco all around the globe. Maybe big companies cause this or it is just conspiracy theory?

rainmax

Founding Member
I think you have a point here. Frenching...

....This disease is more frequently observed on particularly wet, poorly ventilated and rather warm soils, of neutral to alkaline pH and which sometimes are inadequately fertilised, lacking available nitrogen.....

frenchingdutch.jpg

Thanks Wallace, I learn something new again. Tomorrow I will visit my tobacco and inspect if that is the case. Also new pictures will follow.

rainmax

Founding Member
So, it took me three months to write something down. I'm not lazy but over occupied.

Today I put my last batch of Virginia for flue curing. It is half less material that I have planed in the beginning of the season; but over all I'm very satisfied with all of my tobacco, except Pennsylvania red, Jalapa, Dominican Olor, Black sea Basma which I didn't collect due to not surviving plants at all. Little Dutch was not so good but in one location I had twenty plants so I collect enough to taste and roll few cigars. I have had one already strait, only air dried. I kind of like it. I miss heavy tobacco in my collection this year. Something strong, dark, cigar like. Bolivia Criolo Black is great but light. I had nine primings of that strain this year. Comstock Spanish four at shade and in other sunny location seven primings. Machu Picchu, Florida Sumatra and Connecticut Broadleaf six primings. I get some very nice leaf for wrappers. Specially Machu Picchu. Fl.Sumatra this year has brown Spots or alternaria alternata on most of the leaves. Conn.Broadleaf was very attractive for small snails and Dermaptera. So about half leaf was eaten or cut.

The tallest plants this year are Prilep. Surprisingly true. Over two meters (7ft). All Shade grown wrappers were close. I need to measure it, maybe tomorrow.
Of course a lot of water this year causes a lot of troubles and there was only 40 dry days in June, July, August and half September. Not Speaking about the sun which was only visible last month. At the moment we have great weather 20+ Celsius(68F+) every day so I decide for sucker crop for the first time and weather reporters says it will be over 15(59F)Celsius until the beginning of November. I hope.
I had all Burleys and some Prilep still out there. Catching sun. Other tobacco is air dried and most of it is dry already and waiting for sweating chamber to be empty.

I smoke my own cigarettes for a while and it is good. Life is good. I'm happy:eek:.
No pictures....

DGBAMA

Sounds like you are happy with your results. Good stuff.

I grew Bolivian Black also, the lower priming's are light, but the upper leaf is quite robust.

My favorite "heavy" this year is Black Mammoth. A definite keeper and wish I had more, lots of seed, so next year.

rainmax

Founding Member
So Prilep is 240cm (7,8ft) high and so is the Machu Picchu un topped. There was to much water and a lot of shade. Normally Prilep should grow up to 120 cm (4ft).

prilephigh.jpg

I miss Black Mammoth from last year. Also haven't drink Teachers for a while.

Planter

My Prileps (66-9/7) generally became 3-4 ft tall, with leaves so small that I cure them on a table or in a box instead of hanging them.

But one plant developed two stems early on, and both are taller than 8 ft by now, with leaves more than 15 inches long, otherwise in the typical Prilep shape, with more than 60 leaves, and still growing. The stem close to the ground has a diameter of 2.5 inches , like a small tree. It´s close to a wall in a dry and sunny place with rather poor soil with no fertilization, and all other plants next to it (Izmir and Bursa) are normal in size.
Unfortunately it´s just developing the first bud, so there will be not enough time for getting seeds. Leaves are dark green, but color cure nicely, I could not compare its aroma to the smaller Prileps yet.

rainmax

Founding Member
Frost days are here. I finally collect everything. Few Prileps and Baldio vera will be stalk cured. The rest is on wires.
Suckers will dry slow but who cares.
I start kilning my cigar tobacco today. Eleven hands of Comstock Spanish and seven of Little Dutch and one Guacharo from last year.
I start slow. With 20 deg.Celsius(68F) and raising 1 deg per hour. Now I am on 38 C.(100F) and I will continue tomorrow up to 46 C.(115F) not more.
Last year I overcooked it (up to 130F). I will rather age it. Wrappers will be in kiln for 20 days and fillers 30.

Slowly will start cleaning seeds and I let you know soon what I have for swapping.

rainmax

Founding Member
I want to close last years grow blog. I wasn't very active as a writer but I did my tobacco job until the end.
I have vacuum packed all of my leaf so I don't need to care about mold. I have different work next month and I'm happy how I close tobacco season.
Next month I need to visit Cuba again and I hope I could bring you some video back with new material.

And here are some this years sweets:

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• curedcomsp.jpg
    curedcomsp.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 70
  • cigcomsp.jpg
    cigcomsp.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 65
  • cigcomspfoot.jpg
    cigcomspfoot.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 20141.jpg
    20141.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 20142.jpg
    20142.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 20143.jpg
    20143.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 20144.jpg
    20144.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 20145.jpg
    20145.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 20146.jpg
    20146.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 20147.jpg
    20147.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 57

rainmax

Founding Member
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20148.jpg
    20148.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 20149.jpg
    20149.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 201410.jpg
    201410.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 201411.jpg
    201411.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 201415.jpg
    201415.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 50

Knucklehead

Founding Member
You had a good year. Good luck in Cuba. It will be time to start again before you know it. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.