Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Searching Archive.org for Old Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenmonster714

I stumbled onto this site and have been using it to do searches of nicotiana tabacum and other things. Millions of free books, studies, ect. from around the world are available. Its were I've been going when I'm bored and want to read. If you've not checked it out and like to research stuff its a pretty cool site.

Internet Archive: Digital Library

riverstone

Re: Anyone Ever Use This Site To Search

If you think FTT is a site we get side track on while looking for something; Digital Library is a site you will need to pack lunch and a flask of coffee before looking for anything. It is endless !!!!
You will be lost for weeks. :cool:

greenmonster714

Re: Anyone Ever Use This Site To Search

If you think FTT is a site we get side track on while looking for something; Digital Library is a site you will need to pack lunch and a flask of coffee before looking for anything. It is endless !!!!
You will be lost for weeks. :cool:

I know what you mean. I've been using it for a while now. I like reading those old books on tobacco farming, history, curing, ect. Plenty to keep me busy.

ArizonaDave

I stumbled onto this site and have been using it to do searches of nicotiana tabacum and other things. Millions of free books, studies, ect. from around the world are available. Its were I've been going when I'm bored and want to read. If you've not checked it out and like to research stuff its a pretty cool site.

Internet Archive: Digital Library

Very interesting site! Thanks for sharing :) I'll take a look around later when I have more time than today.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Archive.org holds copies of out-of-copyright books. They offer them in a number of formats (e.g. pdf or ebook). The pdf versions are true copies, and include all the embedded artwork. Digital formats use optical character recognition (OCR) to generate text, often contain gibberish, and sometimes do not include the artwork. The way that the books get added to the archive is that volunteers tediously scan in entire books.

A few years ago, when one of archive.org's server farms burned, many scanned document were lost, and will need to be scanned again by volunteers.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Why All the Old Tobacco Books Stop at 1923

Most out-of-print books newer than 1923 are not available in digital form. They can not be purchased new. They exist (if at all) only in physical form in libraries here and there. Occasional old copies show up on eBay.

Beginning in 2002, Google began a massive undertaking to digitize every book for which there was a physical copy somewhere. Of the estimated 130,000,000 books in the world, Google scanned 25,000,000 of them. Then they were sued by the Authors Guild in a colossal class action suit that consumed years and millions of dollars in legal fees. A deal was worked out by 2011 in which Google would pay the costs to scan, and make every book in the world available and searchable on-line, as well as through a computer terminal that Google would place in every single library.

The courts, for a number of complex reasons, killed the deal. In the end, Google can show snippets of books, like you see with the "look inside the book" feature on Amazon.

There is a fascinating and lengthy article on the subject in April 20, 2017 issue of The Atlantic Magazine, if you want to know more about what transpired.

The Atlantic Magazine said:
...the American idea of using copyright primarily as a vehicle, per the constitution, “to promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts,” not to protect authors, has eroded to the point where today we’ve locked up nearly every book published after 1923.

“The greatest tragedy is we are still exactly where we were on the orphan works question. That stuff is just sitting out there gathering dust and decaying in physical libraries, and with very limited exceptions,” Mtima said, “nobody can use them. So everybody has lost and no one has won.”

After the settlement failed, Clancy told me that at Google “there was just this air let out of the balloon.” Despite eventually winning Authors Guild v. Google, and having the courts declare that displaying snippets of copyrighted books was fair use, the company all but shut down its scanning operation.

It was strange to me, the idea that somewhere at Google there is a database containing 25-million books and nobody is allowed to read them. It’s like that scene at the end of the first Indiana Jones movie where they put the Ark of the Covenant back on a shelf somewhere, lost in the chaos of a vast warehouse. It’s there. The books are there. People have been trying to build a library like this for ages—to do so, they’ve said, would be to erect one of the great humanitarian artifacts of all time—and here we’ve done the work to make it real and we were about to give it to the world and now, instead, it’s 50 or 60 petabytes on disk, and the only people who can see it are half a dozen engineers on the project who happen to have access because they’re the ones responsible for locking it up.

I asked someone who used to have that job, what would it take to make the books viewable in full to everybody? I wanted to know how hard it would have been to unlock them. What’s standing between us and a digital public library of 25 million volumes?

You’d get in a lot of trouble, they said, but all you’d have to do, more or less, is write a single database query. You’d flip some access control bits from off to on. It might take a few minutes for the command to propagate.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/04/the-tragedy-of-google-books/523320/
Bob

greenmonster714

Thanks for the history Bob. You seem to always be able to dig up more stuff than a coal miner. I stumbled around and found the site and spent hours reading. I like reading the old books on tobacco. I find it interesting to see how the tobacco world has evolved through the years.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
In reality, most of what has changed in tobacco growing since 1923 is mechanization, agrochemicals, bailing methods, and how it is sold. So, for us humble home-growers, pre-1923 tends to be on target.

Bob

greenmonster714

In reality, most of what has changed in tobacco growing since 1923 is mechanization, agrochemicals, bailing methods, and how it is sold. So, for us humble home-growers, pre-1923 tends to be on target.

Bob

Very true. Some of us have small mechanical machines to help us out but there seems to be so many things in tobacco growing that take plain old hands on work. Being my first year I am rather clueless as to how much hands on work tobacco truly is but I'm sure to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.