Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Selling live tobacco plants in California?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bird

Hi all, I'm new here. I am a long time horticulturist who planted seeds of N. rustica "Kessu" last spring out of curiosity. I am primarily a native plant grower and also have N. attenuata growing in my apartment container garden. I live in the Sierra Nevada mountains and both varieties are doing very well.

I searched the forums and was unable to find out if selling live tobacco plants is legal in California. Before discovering this forum, I made several phone calls to various governmental organizations with that question and couldn't get a straight answer. The people I talked to couldn't seem to understand that I was talking about live tobacco plants. They'd just say that tobacco was a controlled substance and that I needed a nursery permit to grown tobacco.

So would there be any problem posting an ad on Craigslist or Facebook to sell the eight plants I don't need? Thanks.

ChinaVoodoo

As an international member, I can't really say for sure, other than welcome to the forum, and nice pics!

I would be really surprised if it was illegal. You can buy Nicotiana spp. at any nursery in Canada. At that stage, it's also considered agricultural and is legal for anyone to grow. I suspect you got a hold of a person who thinks you're the devil for growing tobacco, and they pulled an Answer out of the air that suited their world view.

I hope you get an answer from someone who knows.

Bird

As an international member, I can't really say for sure, other than welcome to the forum, and nice pics!

I would be really surprised if it was illegal. You can buy Nicotiana spp. at any nursery in Canada. At that stage, it's also considered agricultural and is legal for anyone to grow. I suspect you got a hold of a person who thinks you're the devil for growing tobacco, and they pulled an Answer out of the air that suited their world view.

I hope you get an answer from someone who knows.

Thank's for replying.
Yes, I've purchased several species of Nicotiana from nurseries over the years. When I lived in the San Francisco Bay area, I worked at a nursery. We even sold a Nicotiana cultivar as a bedding plant.

I called a few nurseries, and they didn't know about an individual selling plants.

Glad you like my photos!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Good luck with your quest for info. I do suggest, however that you always refer to said plants as Nicotiana rustica var. and Nicotiana attenuata, when inquiring with agencies, and with posting it anywhere. Neither is considered commercial smoking tobacco, so you might also take that approach in any listing of them on marketing sites.

When I send seed internationally, my customs declaration is always 100% honest, and says Nicotiana sp. seed. That avoids any panic responses.

Bob

EDIT: Furthermore, when discussing them over the phone, the academically accepted pronunciation is fortunately not the alarming, Latin pronunciation of "Ni-ko-tee-AN-na", but rather "Nuh-KO-she-an-na". Every little bit helps. "What exactly is that?" "Oh! It's in the same botanical family as petunias."

Orson Carte

Because our seasons, in the southern hemisphere, are the exact opposite to most of those members and other interested persons who read these posts, I've got to think a little before saying this;
But, doesn't Fall (or Autumn as we call it) 'officially' begin in just a few day's time? I'm mindful of this because I'm about to sow seed for our new season down here.
So, it would seem to me a little bit late for any northener to be only just getting around to transplanting into the open ground - isn't it? Have you still got enough warm weather after mid-November to get the crop cured?
Just curious, that's all.

ps. I don't mind the new format but I'm having a good deal of grief trying to type this note. I can't seem to insert a missed word/s without wiping out bits that I don't want wiped out.

ChinaVoodoo

Orson, Bird is from California. It's a large state with many different climates, but for the most part, you can grow year round.

I always laugh when reading David Arora's field guide to mushrooms when he says stuff like "fruits in winter".... Ya, ok David.

Check out San Diego's climate, down in the geography section of the Wikipedia page. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego
It seriously looks like heaven on earth.

Charly

Welcome on FTT, Bird, nice pictures.
Like other members, I have no answer about your questions about selling tobacco plants, sorry.
If you find an official answer, don't forget to share it with us ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.