Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Single Variety "blend"

Hereformyhobbies

I've been reading this forum like crazy lately in anticipation of my seeds arriving soon. I'm looking forward to growing and creating some of my own tobaccos. It's all a bit overwhelming and a lot to take in and learn but it's a ton of fun and I can't wait to see what pipe tobaccos I end up in (heaven forbid I start clicking around on the cigar stuff and end up doing that as well...).

As I've been reading, a question popped into my head that I thought might be worth asking (forgive me if this has been asked, I couldn't find it).

Has anyone ever made a pipe tobacco "blend" from a single variety of tobacco that has been cured/finished in multiple ways? Something like a blend from a single variety of Virginia in which some leaves are flue-cured, some sun-cured, some made into perique, some into cavendish, etc.? Or any sort of similar combination? I assume something like this would theoretically be possible but could it be any good? I've hardly had time to really get into researching what makes a blend good, outside of what I know from commercial blends I've bought/smoked; however, I think it would be interesting and fun to make a blend from a single variety of tobacco using as many different curing processes as possible. I was curious if anyone has tried this before and how far they got.

If I wanted to try it myself, what variety of tobacco might be best for such an experiment?

Alpine

That would be an interesting experiment! I would choose a flue cured strain: it can be flue cured, air and sun cured. On the opposite, all other tobacco classes give poor results when flue cured (with the notable exception of some orientals).
I’ve never grown it, but Cherry Red is a flue cured strain that has good reputation among pipe smokers.

pier

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
It is certainly possible to use only a single tobacco variety.

“You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, and sauté it. There’s shrimp kebabs, shrimp Creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan-fried, deep-fried, stir-fried. There’s pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad..."

With a Virginia flue-cure variety, you can flue-cure it, sun-cure it, air-cure it. Cook it into Cavendish; pressure-cure it into Perique. Toast it; roast it; press it into plug; roll it into twist; slice it into flake.

Including multiple tobacco varieties in this multiplying process makes it much easier to come up with pipe blends that you will enjoy.

Bob