Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Smoke cure or fire cure: @Redleaf

Redleaf

Just for fun I thought I would see about imparting some smoke flavour to some of my Virginia gold leaves. The leaves hung in the shade to colour cure and had gone through many cycles of overnight dampening from heavy dew and daytime drying to the point of being crisp and brittle. This bundle was hanging in a shed and was once again brittle and to quickly bring up the moisture I hung it in the shower. I needed to have it moist for transport to my neighbour’s who has an excellent smoke house. He was already in the process of curing a batch of sausage and summer-sausage when I got there. We hung the tobacco in with and he finished curing that batch. The next day the smoke was maintained again and then left to hang for a couple days. The wood for smoking was simple chunks of poplar without any bark on them. The leaf has a somewhat brownish cast to it after the process and definetley smells of woodsmoke, (it is very noticeable in my garage). I mixed it out with some previous pipe tobacco I had prepared and I have to say I am very pleased with the flavour it brings to the mix. I’m sure this type of thing is old hat for some of the old hands here but for me on the path of my first year of homegrown tobacco it was an exciting development and a very pleasant surprise in the pipe bowl.

Yug

2020-12-31 16.58.04.jpgHello everyone. Last winter, I smoked tobacco over my fireplace. I got 50% smoked tobacco and 50% tobacco ash that ignited. So I remember that this is not the most economical way to smoke. But the smoked tobacco (from the burley) is ok to go into my blends, a kind of commercial Kentucky dark fired that is a bit sweeter. It also seems to me that smoking is a good protection against mold.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
...and 50% tobacco ash that ignited.
In my Brinkmann smoker, I separated the fire from the hanging tobacco by a large pan of water. The temperature at the level of the tobacco stayed well below the boiling point of water, though I made an effort to keep the fire barely glowing.

Bob

Yug

I smoked tobacco a little bit every night and kept a close eye on it. I made a light fire that made a lot of smoke. Everything was going well. Then one day I got confident and left the blaze unattended for a while to go to the computer. Suddenly, I heard a not-so-friendly noise and saw an unusual glow. Too late, goodbye burley....:cry::)

Oldfella

I smoked tobacco a little bit every night and kept a close eye on it. I made a light fire that made a lot of smoke. Everything was going well. Then one day I got confident and left the blaze unattended for a while to go to the computer. Suddenly, I heard a not-so-friendly noise and saw an unusual glow. Too late, goodbye burley....:cry::)
Never leave a fire unattended. Found that out as a kid. I was supposed to be attending the smoke fire on a load of fish, stoked it up and went to play. Fish was ruined, my bum was sore and lesson was learned. However I'm very sorry for your loss. Better luck next time.
Oldfella