Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

smokesahoy 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_in_TN

Smokes you said at the begining....."if they go in the ground 5/15 they will be flowering 8/15, done no later then 9/15, well before first frost."

You have about 2 more weeks, are you going to hit the target...9/15?

The paper you provided the link for us to read calls your baccy "exotic".

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Oh God yeah, I think they used that word because no one grows it commercially. (And for good reason, look at the common types and how much more they produced) this ones saving grace in term of production is the n efficiency, but if you look at delgold that was clearly the better crop to grow.this is just for enthusiasts and scientists.

And we grow for flavor so its worth delving into obscure strains.

As to completion I'm still right on schedule, the crop is half primed (pictures of some gorgeous golden leaf to follow from yesterday once I get em off the camera) .

Over the next 2 weeks ill be done priming for sure, I'm letting the leaves go slow cause of room post picking, I'm trying to not expand space any

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
i have some plants that have alligator skin all the way up to the top, with yellowish blotches showing thru on the bottom. i have all my lowest leaves now so i figure let the top half stay on and get very mature. i dont think i run any risk of the leaf being whipped ragged at this point, plus it is started raining frequently and i dont want to pick in the rain, trying to wait a few days after some dryness. suckers are going nuts with the rain, i pop em off and i swear to god it's an inch long the next day.

if you dont want to deal with suckers avoid this strain like the plague.

one thing that needs to be improved on next year is my germ setup, this year i wasnt gonna grow at all and then at the very end decided to just toss some seeds in a container and start em. i transplanted bare root starts and that really slows things down, in addition the plants werent very large at the start.

next year i plan to do what i planned to do this year. haha.

Tom_in_TN

You let all those upper leaves get too mature and you'll for sure need some mild baccy to tame it down a bit.

Hey, try crossing the variety you have this year with that TI 959, Brazillian plant. Could make a super-duper plant in 2014 for sure.

Rayshields

next year i plan to do what i planned to do this year. haha.[/QUOTE]

I was going to join the National Procrastinators Club...but I never got around to it.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Where I've got my tobacco hung there is a under lay vent in the shed roof which can dry out the tobacco fairly quickly. Every couple of days I mist down the tobacco with purified water to keep it fairly humidified. After a day of rain it's still so humid that I don't need to mist for 2 weeks.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I wanted to get all my thoughts on paper and start narrowing down the list for 2013. I plan on starting earlier, i want to finish 2 weeks earlier than i did this year (all done at 9/15 except the seeds still on plants waiting on the freeze). So, same schedule as last year, except on the first of the month not middle, this way I'm ready to act on an early season if possible, 2012 didnt allow that and brought be uncomfortably close to the first possible freeze, also there is a big difference between 9/1 and 9/15, i could get double the leaf color cured in that time. this years experiment will be in color curing on the stalk in the basement where it is a steady 60%rh (controlled by dehumidifier, then will drop once the furnace starts being used towards end of october) and temp is steady about 65-70. i'll turn off the dehumidifier if it starts drying to fast, normal basement humidity is closer to 70% if not higher.

short list:
spearhead
plantana
delgold
silver river

So in 2013 the spearhead will be making a comeback, I plan on doing about 50 plants of that. 30 plantana and 10 of delgold and 10 of silver river. This is going to be a big square 10x10 plot. i also am not any younger and I do want to try other types, so in addition to my "yield" plot, i'm going to do some introduction plots (3 plants, interspersed where i can fit them, probably in flower gardens and whatnot.: cornplanter if i can get it, aztec if not, and some of those other TI's in my list. those primitives are very interesting where flavor is concerned. I have all winter to get some identification tags so i dont repeat my first years growing mistake, these will encircle the base and stay with the plant thru to stalk harvesting. http://www.dpind.com/productcart/pc/Wrap-Around-Tags-c9.htm

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
please no one talk about/mention new strains, i think i have a problem. lol.

jeapadrenaline

Smokes, aztec should t be a problem. I had about 40 plants and all ar hanging with seedheads intact. I should have 27 gazzillion seeds lol just need to wait and do germination test.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I grew it last year too, last year was kind of a learning experience though. I have a bunch of seed, that's one thing about rustica you always have tons of seed :)

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
it's been all in for a while chicken, stalk hung and primed and browned in the attic, all in different stages.

the seed stock is in the field primed of all its leaf and any new buds that try to grow, just letting the ones on there now firm up and brown up.

so yeah i'm starting to think about next year, i'm all done with the grow already. my only regret was not going bigger, but what i do have is fantastic.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
well today was my first hard frost, we went to 27 degrees for most of the night. i picked the suckers when i got home, they were totally hard and crispy. doh, we havent even been close to a frost till now. well i was curious, when i wake up i'll see what happens heh.

they're all in a box gently placed, i will probably wake up to boiled spinach :)

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Any place with paint would have them in the paint section. They are incredibly durable as you would expect from the labelled use so I'll be bleach dipping them and using again next year.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Any place with paint would have them in the paint section. They are incredibly durable as you would expect from the labelled use so I'll be bleach dipping them and using again next year.

Thank you for the info. I found them online at Home Depot and Walmart. $2.00 each at Home Depot not including shipping. $1.10 each at Walmart including shipping. Both for the 5 gallon. Is the 5 gallon what you use or the one gallon?
Great grow blog. Those are some really clean leaves. I didn't see the first hole. I hope I'm half that lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.