Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Smoking, Dry Socket, Got some teeth pulled today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Thumb

I only had one tooth pulled 20 Yrs Ago.
I got 2 pulled today and told me not to smoke or I could get dry socket.
Anyone ever get it?
Like I will stop smoking over a couple of holes in my gums.

Brown Thumb

Keep your mouth packed with gauze when smokein. YOU DO NOT WANT A DRY SOCKET.
Thanks, I guess you have been there and done it.
I got a pinch of Gauze between my teeth and gums now.
Next appointment 3 more coming out.
what really sucks is I went off my antibotics and never felt the teeth problems until I stopped taking them.
Thsnks Again,

DIY Pete

As someone who has had dry socket, you really don't want it. Getting hit in the balls with a baseball hurts more but only just a little more.

Pete

DGBAMA

Pressure/sucking is a lot of the cause. Same reason they say don't drink with a straw. If you need to smoke, do so with as little "resistance" as possible, remove filters and draw easy, or a pipe with a loose draw.

Matty

Had over a dozen teeth pulled over the years. Be careful smoking till the hole closes up enough. If the hole is open you will notice you can suck air out the tooth hole, that's not good. Hand roll loose cigs or lightly pack a bowl. Might take 2 days to a week to heal up enough. Keep pressure with the gauze till there is no more bleeding, after that be very gentle while smoking and other similar action.

Smokin Harley

I only had one tooth pulled 20 Yrs Ago.
I got 2 pulled today and told me not to smoke or I could get dry socket.
Anyone ever get it?
Like I will stop smoking over a couple of holes in my gums.

my wife is a dental assistant , mostly assists in root canals but listen to the directions of your dentist. I'm sure he probably also told you to not drink from a straw. you have an open wound in your head, besides the slight suction you'll put on the wound by intake of smoke causing it to bleed , you have it open to the irritating smoke and bacteria.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
You need some dip! You'll get your nicotine fix and at the same time keep your mouth nice and moist. I'll send you some of my Black Licorice sugar free dip if you want

Taking Vitamin C at 4 grams per day also greatly reduces dry socket complications as reported in the American Journal of Denistry

Gdaddy

I had a broken molar pulled a few months ago. They put cadaver bone in the empty holes and then stitched it over to close it shut. It healed rather quickly.

Matty, what does this mean? "If the hole is open you will notice you can suck air out the tooth hole, that's not good." Air is sucked in through the hole how?

Matty

Gdaddy, a few of the teeth I had pulled seemed to open into my sinus cavity. I lost the blood clot that would block the hole and was left with an air leak in my mouth. Happened twice to me. When this happens it takes longer to heal and can turn into a dry socket.

Brown Thumb

Thanks Guys, I am taking it easy on the smoking.
Looking forward to a good Drag on a smoke tho.
They ony gave me 600 mg of Motrin for pain but I have not been taking it.
Overall it has not been as bad as I thought it would be.
In not looking forward to the next three tho.
Root canal next week to add to the fun.

Matty

Root canals aren't as bad as they sound. I've had 4 done and they were less painful than having a cavity filled for some reason. The pain isn't what hurts, it's the dentist's bill afterwards! Good luck BT

Gdaddy

Just think... it wasn't that long ago that there weren't dentists. What a horrible thought. Many people died from infection from bacteria caused from tooth decay. Tooth decay can also be responsible for many other health issues. Serious stuff.

I've always taught my children the motto..."take care of your teeth and your teeth will take care of you".

Smokin Harley

Gdaddy , my wife has educated me quite a bit with that same information. She tells me of some of the patients she gets in her chair . Some look like they haven't EVER brushed their teeth and the godawful odor that comes out of that stinky rotten tooth . Just imagine having that or many in your mouth and constantly swallowing what is basically infection.
She and the dentist she works with do about a root canal an hour ,sometimes faster just because some patients are more cooperative.

Birage

Had three teeth pulled a few months ago, packed with bone and stitched in preparation for implants. Smoked a cigar hours afterwards and everyday since with no problems. Oral surgeon never said anything about smoking, told me about the straw thing amongst other common sense things to do and not do. I also take many nutrients and antioxidants to hasten healing. Never heard of dry socket, but it doesn't sound like anything I want!

Brown Thumb

Just think... it wasn't that long ago that there weren't dentists. What a horrible thought. Many people died from infection from bacteria caused from tooth decay. Tooth decay can also be responsible for many other health issues. Serious stuff.

I've always taught my children the motto..."take care of your teeth and your teeth will take care of you".

Nowadays you can get thrown in jail for endangering the welfare of a child for not taking care of your childerns teeth.
My tennents kid had rotten teeth at like 7 yrs old and had to have a bunch pulled.
The dentist told them he would call child services if they did not start taking care of her teeth.
I think that is a good thing, the little girl was in pain also.
The mother was crying when they came back and thought it was wrong of him to say that.
WTF I thought. My kids go to the dentist every 6 months.

Gmac

Had three teeth pulled a few months ago, packed with bone and stitched in preparation for implants. Smoked a cigar hours afterwards and everyday since with no problems. Oral surgeon never said anything about smoking, told me about the straw thing amongst other common sense things to do and not do. I also take many nutrients and antioxidants to hasten healing. Never heard of dry socket, but it doesn't sound like anything I want!
I guess I'm fortunate to have a high pain threshold and super imune system, never been sick or had a headache or even the childhood diseases, no glasses at 70. My father was the same way. (Grandma said: "You know what it says, the fruit don't fall far from the tree." I had 20 something pulled a while back, no pain meds or antibiotics, I don't bleed much either. I think I smoked about a pack on the way home. BUT, everone's different, thank God.

Brown Thumb

No problems smoking, tho I took it easy.
I thought I need one Root canal but he tell me i need 2 now.
SOAB, has a airplane. No wonder 1250 bucks a root canal.
Damn, I should have been a dentist. Screw fixing cars for 50 bucks a hr.
The guy tearing my teeth out is retired and working part time and shakes like he his detoxing from something and don't remember a thing.
The practice was bought out by Saint Luke's hospital.
we are screwed

Status
Not open for further replies.