Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

"Storing flat" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I feel stupid asking this but here it goes: I read a lot on here about people storing their tobacco "flat" I understand the concept, but how do you all do it? Most of my tobacco dries a bit curly, how does one flatten it?

Thanks -Michibacy

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
You need to wait until the leaf comes back into case, or bring it back into case.

My leaf is hung in my shed until the ambient weather permits me to handle it. Sometimes I will help it along, drape wet cloth around the shed, water the floor, open windows/door at night and close in the day. After the leaf is fully cured and dried, and after a few rainy days or high humidity, and the leaf is in-case, I will de-rib it and lay the leaf-halves in a box, flattening as I go.

The 'box' that I use is made of corroplast (yard signs), just barely taped together. The box is sized so the resultant 'bale' is conveniently sized to fit my kiln shelf. When the box is full, or partially, if I only have a few strings of that strain of tobacco, I drop the box sides and remove the bale to storage. I box each strain seperately, and sometimes each lower, mid or top leaf of a strain.

While de-ribbing the leaf, I lay the leaf halves on the work surface, and smooth or flatten as best as I can - not always possible. If tips are too dry, de-rib as best as I can, just put in the box as is. I place a board over the leaf in the box, and use a little pressure to compact the leaf a bit in the bale. My bales are essentually 'loose', so I can seperate leaf easily later. I don't worry much if the leaf is a bit curly, just do what I can and bale it. Curly or folded leaf can go through the pasta shredder just fine. If some leaf is a bit dry, I de-rib as best I can and throw the broken leaf pieces into the box.

I put a sheet of parchment paper in the bottom of the box, and on top of the finished bale, and string-tie the bales a bit, so it's easier to handle. Yeah, I know, I'm a bit anal !

This is also when I do a final inspection of the leaf - throw out the nasty ones, remove dirt, bird feather, tear off dried-green parts of leaf, whatever. My leaf bales are finished 'product', ready for fermenting, storage or shredding/use.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
heres a brick i got from the whole leaf store,

when i get the shredder, im gonna shred all of it, and im sure this brick will make a lot of baccy,,,

when i first pulled it outta the packing box, i thought it was a brick of marijuanna,

however this guy made this brick, he did a good job,

>
flatbaccy001.jpg

By chickenhawk434 at 2012-07-22
//
flatbaccy002.jpg

//

i put my cigg case beside it for size comparison,

>
flatbaccy003.jpg

this brick is some INDIAN BURLEY,

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Chicken,
I received a similar brick of India Dark Air. Absolutely dry. I cut the brick with a sharp knife into full-thickness blocks that were about the dimensions that would fit into a quart Zip Lock freezer bag. I was amazed at how much moisture it had to absorb in order to come into case. For this pungent leaf, I kilned it 30 days, which substantially reduced its power. A single strip of the India Dark Air transforms any other filler into cigar filler. As ugly as it was when it arrived, it has proven to be a wonderful and flavorful minor blender. Good luck with the burley.

Bob

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
^^^^

i dont think i wont to reduce it's power, allthough i aint tried it yet,

i plan on mixing it with 3 other types of baccy, and it's strong burley kick, is what im looking for,

to add just a dab of it, to the other baccy's, for a good strong cigg, mix,

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
Don't know if I would want to store my bales of tobacco in a dry/semi-dry brick. I like the semi-loose bales, in low to medium case. After baling, I store in the bale (or a few bales) in large plastic storage containers. I place a couple of 2-liter soda pop-bottles, with the tops cut off, and a few inches salt-brine, to hold the humidity at 70-75% RH.

After fermenting, they go back to the containers for a couple weeks or a month's resting period. Then I either shred or keep in the bales. Both go into Don's vapor-proof bags for long term storage. But I try to store at low-medium case so they may properly continue to age and mellow.

BarG

Founding Member
heres a brick i got from the whole leaf store,

when i get the shredder, im gonna shred all of it, and im sure this brick will make a lot of baccy,,,

when i first pulled it outta the packing box, i thought it was a brick of marijuanna,

however this guy made this brick, he did a good job,

>
flatbaccy001.jpg

//
flatbaccy002.jpg

//

i put my cigg case beside it for size comparison,

>
flatbaccy003.jpg

this brick is some INDIAN BURLEY,

Thats a lot !

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
What is the best way to store the leaf whole/flat/not baled? (Store it like it's pictured in the FTT logo)

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
My person preference is to store (age) tobacco while it is in medium-light case. This would be somewhere around 16% - 17% moisture content. 15% seems to be too dry to effectively promote aging and if the moisture is anywhere near 20%, the leaf will mold.

I use thermal sealed vapor-proof bags, but any air tight container will work.

Tobacco can be stored brittle dry for 10 years but it won't age unless there is some moisture in the leaf.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
ive stored it in mason jars,,,and cigar boxes,

//
baccy001.jpg

By chickenhawk435 at 2012-01-29
//
baccy003.jpg

By chickenhawk435 at 2012-01-29
//
tobaccoo002.jpg

By chickenhawk435 at 2012-01-07
//

ive also did a little experimenting at making a brick, and it actually turned out real good,

>
sam0304y.jpg

By chickenhawk435 at 2011-11-05
//
sam0084t.jpg

By chickenhawk435 at 2011-09-22
//
sam0160e.jpg

By chickenhawk435 at 2011-10-08
//

heres my home-made apparatus, i made to make the brick,

>
sam0075j.jpg

/
sam0081p.jpg

//
sam0082z.jpg

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
My person preference is to store (age) tobacco while it is in medium-light case. This would be somewhere around 16% - 17% moisture content. 15% seems to be too dry to effectively promote aging and if the moisture is anywhere near 20%, the leaf will mold.

Tobacco can be stored brittle dry for 10 years but it won't age unless there is some moisture in the leaf.

What you describe sounds like a "seal a meal" if it is so, how do you control the humidity in the package? I have a unit and it would be nice to get more use out of it

Chicken:

Nice looking bricks there. The Burley I may store in bricks if I can make a press like the one you have

BarG

Founding Member

Don, are the vapor proof bags available thru WLT site. I remember seing sizes and prices in the vapor proof bag thread.

Boboro

I think If you want flat leaves u got to flaten them out one at a time an press them between 2 boards.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Simple enough I guess.

A) would I be able to do multiple leaves separated by wax paper or anything
B) Is there any benefit to storing it flat?

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
I would think that the only reason for storing leaf flat FLAT (really flat) would be for use later as cigar wrapper, and then you want it in medium-high case, to roll easily. That is too high in-case for long term storage. My opinion, best to store in low-medium case, then bring to higher case to flatten and roll.

I store my leaf in low-medium case, in loose bundles or bales, essentually flat - yeah, it has a lot of rolled edges, ripples, bent tips, and folds - but essentually flat. This is good for shredding, and mostly I can smooth out or nearly flatten if need be.
Am I missing something here ? Why is there a need for super flat flat flat leaf ?

Leaf tends to flatten anyway as it lays in bundles/bales in storage, or at least the bundles compress with time.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
What you describe sounds like a "seal a meal" if it is so, how do you control the humidity in the package?

You shouldn't have to control the humidity within the bag...if you're using the right bag. The moisture content is controlled before the bags are sealed.

Don, are the vapor proof bags available thru WLT site. I remember seeing sizes and prices in the vapor proof bag thread.

No, the vapor proof bags are not available at the WLT store, but they are available in the products forum here

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
The only tobacco I know of that is stored is cigar leaf most commonly from Indonesia and Central America. American CT Broadleaf wrapper is not stored flat.

The other type of tobacco that is stored flat is in brick form. I'm pretty sure this is used primarily for plug chew and making pipe tobaccos.

Status
Not open for further replies.