Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Sumatra binder concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAGraphics

Well I got my Melodioso kit the other day, Thanks for the Corojo samples Don, and started rolling a few this morning. I prepped the Sumatra binder last night but still had concerns rolling. The binder is very thin and I found it difficult to keep in from falling apart. I guess I need to prep them in more of a higher case than I did.

who else uses the Sumatra binder and how do you find it to roll with?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Sumatra binder is thin, but has a relatively high tensile strength. It needs to be in high-case, but not soggy. It has excellent burn. I have often used WLT Sumatra "binder" as wrapper.

Bob

waikikigun

When I've used it in the past I gradually segued over to doubling it up, in general.

Notice that I reference the delicateness of the leaves in the text, and double them up in this bunching video:

https://youtu.be/NWxqw5VBvog

charlie G.

I use it regularly and find it easy to use. Just need a little higher case. I also double it when used as binder. As Bob noted, I like the good burn quality's it has, it helps alot with thicker wrappers.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
By spending enough time with it, you could probably acquire the skill to use wet, single-ply toilet paper as a wrapper. (Don't smoke that at home, kids.)

I believe that each variety of wrapper engages a slightly different combination of motor skills, and is at its best at a slightly different case.

Bob

EDIT: I think that the experience of utilizing home-grown wrappers, which come ungraded, frequently have pinholes, and are often smaller than commercial wrappers, is an excellent training for adapting wrapping style to the wrapper in hand.

kullas

I just got the same kit. I went through a whole leaf in learning the wrapper. I run the wrapper under warm water and shake off any excess and put in a Ziploc and set in the sun for about 20 min. When I take it in it is ready to use. I spread it out and pat dry. It rolls nice and smooth but does show some of th defects in the binder. But the mold takes most of that away.

juan carlos

that was the first cigars i rolled, that kit. it went pretty smoothly for a complete novice. i did use the binder doubled up. I really enjoyed the cigars they are smooth and simple, a great all-rounder for my palate.

LewZephyr

I really like the Sumatra for a binder, but yes I always need to double binder with it.

webmost

who else uses the Sumatra binder and how do you find it to roll with?

I used to ... before I learned to use the inner portion of wrapper as my binder on the next stick. It is unforgiving when too dry. But the good thing is, it burns so well once it is dry. So dampen it up, bind with it, let your bound bunches dry for an afternoon, and then you're good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.