Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Sweet & Smooth

Status
Not open for further replies.

notcrack

I keep seeing Sweet Virginia brightleaf and Smooth Virginia Brightleaf mention on some of the "evil" sides of the internet. What is this variety or are they just screwing their customers by misleading them with just general Brightleaf??

If it is a real variety can any one put their hands on some to send to the UK for me as I'm very curious to try this??

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Commercial tobacco is tested for a variety of components after it has been redried. This is usually done by taking samples of several bales of the same lot produced by either a larger grower or co-op (which comprises of several to many smaller producers located within a region). The testing for Flue Cured tobacco determines the color, sugar and nicotine. As a general rule, the higher the sugar, the more value the "lot" has. The sugar contents is what makes the tobacco "smooth", but it is most often used as a guide for the Master Blender to recreate a particular brand.

For example....if the Marlboro Reds blends have a sugar content of 10% (I'm pulling these numbers out my of arse), the Master Blender would then know how much 20% to blend with 4% to achieve the desired result. When blending, consideration also needs to be given to the nicotine content as well as protein and other components in other types of tobacco.

So, when somebody makes a claim of "Sweet", the smooth almost is inherent, but this claim is very much verifiable and should not be used merely as a marketing ploy. When I claim my FC is "sweet and smooth" (yes, they copied my wording verbatim), I can prove my claim is true. The way the competition buys their tobacco, I'm not sure if they can do the same.

notcrack

The dirty scum bags. I hate that site with a vehement passion for some reason :)

Just to let you know Don. but I have been smoking your Brightleaf for the past 4 days and it is by far the best leaf I have ever used. When I've got a bit of time later tonight I'll write up a review and whack a video of it out. I'm so happy with this stuff it hurts me lol.

NB - thanks for using the word arse instead of ass. Arse just sounds so much more rude that it's one of the British words I wish Americans would use over their own.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
NB - thanks for using the word arse instead of ass. Arse just sounds so much more rude that it's one of the British words I wish Americans would use over their own.
You are quite right. An ass could be a donkey but an arse is unequivocal. :D

J

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Glad to hear you're enjoying the Bright Leaf. This new inventory was produced "by hand" and it really is the best I've ever been able to buy. Until 40 years ago or so, farmers only sold their tobacco in "hands". When big tobacco automated their entire manufacturing process, farmers were required to stop tying hands because they would clog the threshers. This requirement was met with a lot of resistance out of the pride the farmers took in producing the highest quality leaf they could. Stripping tobacco and throwing it into a 800 lb. bale was insulting and disrespectful to the farmer. It got to a point where big tobacco would not buy tobacco that was handled with such care, so the farmers were forced into producing an inferior product.

After talking with several growers in the traditional "Old Belt" where Flue Cured originated, there was an actual excitement in returning to the old ways of producing tobacco. I pay about 75% over market for this traditionally processed leaf, but the finished product is worth the price. This all goes back to the reason I started this site and the farmers get paid a considerable amount higher than big tobacco pays which means they can afford to produce a higher quality product. Ultimately, everyone wins. Farmers are paid more for their crop, distributors acquire a substantially superior product, end users are rewarded with the finest tobacco available at a cost which is from 80% - 90% less than buying manufactured cigarettes.

I'm currently working on a deal to secure another type of Flue Cured which was produced to the specifications of a major manufacturer for their most popular cigarette brand. I'll let you know when it's available.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Commercial tobacco is tested for a variety of components after it has been redried. The testing for Flue Cured tobacco determines the color, sugar and nicotine. As a general rule, the higher the sugar, the more value the "lot" has. The sugar contents is what makes the tobacco "smooth", but it is most often used as a guide for the Master Blender to recreate a particular brand.

So, when somebody makes a claim of "Sweet", the smooth almost is inherent, but this claim is very much verifiable and should not be used merely as a marketing ploy. When I claim my FC is "sweet and smooth" (yes, they copied my wording verbatim), I can prove my claim is true. The way the competition buys their tobacco, I'm not sure if they can do the same.
Don, How do you test for sugar? Is the equipment something a hobbiest could reasonably afford?

If additional sugar is equated to "smooth" then some of the earlier posts/threads make sense. Maybe I could just spray a little sugar of some kind to smooth out some rough leaf.

Thanks, John

notcrack

I'm currently working on a deal to secure another type of Flue Cured which was produced to the specifications of a major manufacturer for their most popular cigarette brand. I'll let you know when it's available.

Don, you know me. Just put an invoice for 50lbs once it's in your hands lol.
I've got to send you a PM a little later about a few bits and bobs I've been working on the past few days. I'm very excited about the next couple of months.

bonehead

I have brightleaf smooth and brightleaf sweet and there is definately a difference especially if you dont blend and take a drag off of one then the other. The stuff i have dosent have a major difference but it is not exactly the same. american flue cured and canadian flue cured are a lot different. You can see the difference never mind taste the difference. interwsting post tom from ct.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Welcome to FTT Bonehead. Great name but you have lots of competition here (me for one). LOL Where are you located (general area is fine)? Are you growing tobacco now or are you planning on growing? -- John

bonehead

I buy more than i grow. I have an inside and an outside garden. I am almost done building my kiln. it is 8 ft. by 8 ft. by 8 ft. inside dimensions. that is big for me. I plan on doubling my inside and outside gardens this year. I hope i am not getting in over my head with all the work weeding ect. I have 85 or 90 pounds of tobacco left at this time and i hope to not have to buy any more. Emily from shelton ct. is going to set me up with double my inside grow system next week so i will be up and running for spring. This could be crazy fun or just crazy. tom

Status
Not open for further replies.