Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Texas Growers when to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bika

I do relize that there are general forms on whento start. But for Texans when do yall start the seed process? "Month" or "temp"

leverhead

Here in Houston, I'm planing on starting my seeds in late January, to go in the ground for mid March. Look up your last frost date, then back up 6-7 weeks.

BarG

Founding Member
Your a bit further north so I would recommend late feb. to march. I had to restart mine in march [central tex.] and it was easier temp wise, and great rain wise for 2012. I was able to locate seedlings to a covered outdoor area sooner, and planting worked out great.

BarG

Founding Member
Start indoors in late feb-to early march should be fine, be sure to pay close attn. to faqs a top of forum and seed starting mix for healthy seedlings. I have most materials for making a plant starter greenhouse for next year that I will put to use.

Bika

I was thinking of the green house as well. To at least start the plants, thank you for the info BarG

Shelgeyr

Do you ever start early in a greenhouse and transplant? Do you know if that works well? I haven't tried it yet, but intend to unless more experienced people convince me not to.

I'm in a suburb of Dallas so I figured you might be one to ask.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge and/or opinions you might have on the matter.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Do you ever start early in a greenhouse and transplant? Do you know if that works well? I haven't tried it yet, but intend to unless more experienced people convince me not to.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge and/or opinions you might have on the matter.

Just about all of us start indoors 4-6 weeks before transplant. We transplant about 2 weeks after our last expected frost. Here is a good thread to determine your average last frost date. Plug in your zip code. http://fairtradetobacco.com/showthread.php?781-Last-and-First-Frost-Date-When-Is-It-Really

Can one of the moderators make this a sticky? It's an excellent resource.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Here in Houston, I'm planing on starting my seeds in late January, to go in the ground for mid March. Look up your last frost date, then back up 6-7 weeks.
well im in florida, and from what ive read, im on the same schedule as you texans.

i will be starting indoors around feb. and plant outside around mid april,

i seen mention of a green house, and yes i used one for many years but this year we are going big-time,

i have a very large indoor area, to start my seedlings till they are at least 6 '' tall,

Bika

Yes I do, I will start at the end of this month and dependig on the size I might move them to a bigger pot if they out grow the planters before the temp is good enough to move outside.

Shelgeyr

AlabamaKnucklehead, thank you very much for the timing info, and the link!

Status
Not open for further replies.