Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

The Story of Jessica's Fantastic 2014 =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JessicaNicot

You have it made in the sun. How warm was it that day?

we actually haven't had it too bad here this year. it's been ranging from the mid 80s to lower 90s. what has been awful tho is the humidity in the field the day after it rains. On Friday we went and broke all of the suckers off the plants with bags but the plants were still wet from the rain Thursday night. I was soaked head to toe (except for my feet because i finally ponied up for some waterproof merrell hiking boots). this week is supposed to have low humidity so im going to hopefully finish up the pictures for the later maturing materials and start the tedious data taking phase.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Same here. A lot of cloudy days that keep the temperatures tolerable but the humidity is awful. It's good to finally put a face to the name. Nicetameetcha.

JessicaNicot

if our nursery got hailed on we would be in pretty bad straights and it would set us back a year of work. thankfully lack of seed to reproduce the nursery the following year is not usually an issue (but I could see where this would be highly problematic for corn). we have lost entire experiments before due to hurricanes. that is one of the main reasons you conduct the experiment simultaneously in multiple locations. your data wont be as robust as if you hadn't lost a whole location, but at least you'll have something at 2 other locations to report.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
From his statement, "For a grower 20 acres is no big deal, but in terms for us, we may have 300 treatments that we were testing in those acres."

Obviously, he's never farmed for a living.

skychaser

Same here. A lot of cloudy days that keep the temperatures tolerable but the humidity is awful.

What's humidity? We don't have that here. Been as low as 4% several days these last few weeks. Most days have been between 7-12% with temps pushing 100 every day. Cools off nice at night here though. Last night was down to 52f. We left all the windows open all night and its kinda cold in here this morning. 40-45 degree daily swings in the temp is pretty normal here. We've had 2 severe thunder storms in the past couple weeks. They caused some heavy damage in our area, but we lucked out and both just barely missed us. Sure could use a little rain though.

I have 5-6 sprinklers ruining non-stop trying to keep the field watered and keep a big green space around the house and out buildings. The fire danger is extremely high now and we already broke the record for the states biggest fire ever, with 2 months of fire season to go. The tobacco does fine in the heat. Hardly even any day wilt. It needs 1/3 the water our melons do to be happy. Melons take a LOT of water and it doesn't help when half the water I put down evaporates every day. Today is going to be our first day under 90 since I can't remember when.

JessicaNicot

yeah its a pretty strange year weather wise. its been relatively mild here. they're calling for a cool, moist august, which im not thrilled about because we might end up with especially moldy seed this year. I hate moldy seed. it doesn't seem to hurt germination much but it plays havoc on my nose (and its generally icky).

I have to go check the orientals next week. they may be ready to harvest already. I also want to peek at the mammoths. I found out most of the so-called "mammoth" cultivars aren't photoperiod sensitive, but there are the 3 NC NF lines and 1 standup Maryland type which are true mammoth types that still have yet to flower and they are getting REALLY big.

skychaser

The dust from some varieties is horrible when we are threshing them out. And some aren't bad at all. Dunno why it varies so much. But add some mold spores to the dust and its extra nasty to breath. akkk

The White Flower turned out pretty good after all. It's sure no record setter when it come to production, but no worse than many other oriental types. I'm curious as to how it will taste.

I was bagging plants last week when I noticed that the Bonanza has two different colored flowers. About half the plants are pink and half are pure white. The plants themselves look identical to me. Never seen that before. ?? I'll try to get some picts today and post a couple.

holyRYO

Jessica, I live in the coastal part of the state, been raining 7 days in a row, 5 were nonstop. I am starting to grow mold.

Please, more on the mammoths, post pics if you can, think they are fascinating.

JessicaNicot

next week i'll post some pics of the mammoths in the field this year, plus a list of the varieties that have mammoth in the name but aren't photoperiod sensitive.

mold is certainly no fun. a lot of the seed capsules I've been shelling from the greenhouse for the new accessions have even been caked inside with mold (with the outside looking fine). I think this happens when the spores land on the stigma and then follow the pollen tubes down and get inside. its grey and fluffy. I don't know exactly what it is but its a very common problem in the summer. in the one greenhouse which is running a water wall, there are at least three different opportunistic saprotrophic (feed on dead tissue) fungi growing on the flower heads (dead flowers, ripe capsules, dead stems) of those poor Cherokee rusticas. the black one I think is called sooty mold (which i think is also the one that usually grows on the capsules in the field), one is fluffy grey and the other is yellow.

JessicaNicot

OK, so as promised, here is a list of things which I know are not true "mammoth" types (do not display photoperiod sensitivity):
PI 552318 TC 327 Mammoth Gold
PI 552319 TC 328 Mammoth Yellow
PI 552336 TC 450 White Mammoth
PI 552338 TC 453 Yellow Mammoth
PI 552782 TC 454 Yellow Mammoth, Black Shank Resistant
PI 552439 TC 461 Black Mammoth
PI 551328 TC 481 Mosaic Resistant (MR) Black Mammoth
TC 641 Black Mammoth Small Stalk

However, if you are interested in trying out a true photoperiod sensitive type, the following lines have this trait:
PI 552600 TC 12 Burley Mammoth Ky 16
PI 552761 TC 214 Stewart Cuban
PI 552711 TC 348 NC 22 NF
PI 551309 TC 349 NC 27 NF
PI 552712 TC 350 NC 37 NF
PI 551337 TC 507 Maryland Mammoth
PI 551338 TC 508 Maryland Standup Mammoth

Status
Not open for further replies.