Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Thoughts? Possible kiln.

tmbutler

Anybody want to submit their input on this contraption my wife found a link for? Clearly it would have to maintain humidity as opposed to DE-humidifying....

Attachments

• gtr_nrs188.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 23

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I can’t see it. If I click the link in the post if asks if I want to Download? I’m skeered of downloads.
edit: and haints.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
For kilning and flue curing tobacco it seems excessively expensive, overbuilt, and heavy. I really like ChinaVoodoo’s latest build but there are others that are more heavily constructed and far less expensive than the one in the link.

Davo

Ahi Ka - Well-Known Member
No matter how cheap or expensive, I’ve yet to find anything in my tobacco hobby that my wife likes. Haha

I’d say adapt one of the kiln designs/ideas on this forum and then spend a few extra bucks on getting the exterior aesthetics to her liking

Knucklehead

Founding Member
No matter how cheap or expensive, I’ve yet to find anything in my tobacco hobby that my wife likes. Haha

I’d say adapt one of the kiln designs/ideas on this forum and then spend a few extra bucks on getting the exterior aesthetics to her liking

I like the way you are thinking.
Build a large dollhouse facade as a surround:

1619053123447.jpeg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
do ppl build such small kilns?
I believe my kiln is 2' x 3' x 4' tall. It has casters on the bottom. It was designed to easily pass through a doorway, be easily shifted around, and even to be disassembled if needed.

A Roanoke Barn can be the size of a semi trailer. How much space can you permanently assign to a kiln? That's an important question. I suspect that cost is often a minor factor in determining the size you want. Hauling materials was also an issue for me, since I don't drive a pickup.

Roanoke Barn

Bob

Homegrowngoodnes

My front porch reaches about 8 ft from the house and is about 40 ft long. I was throwing the idea around to frame in about 16 ft of porch and wrapping it in vinyl. It could be multipurpose. I could use it as sort of a greenhouse or put up foam board insulation and turn it into a kiln. Theres 2 ceiling fans with lights there already and theres an outlet.

Homegrowngoodnes

My front porch reaches about 8 ft from the house and is about 40 ft long. I was throwing the idea around to frame in about 16 ft of porch and wrapping it in vinyl. It could be multipurpose. I could use it as sort of a greenhouse or put up foam board insulation and turn it into a kiln. Theres 2 ceiling fans with lights there already and theres an outlet.
Also as humid as it is here im thinking i might need to use a dehumidifier to stave off the mold...

Homegrowngoodnes

I agree with @deluxestogie. Raising the temperature is a better method than a dehumidifier. A dehumidifier may cause the leaves to dry too quickly and you'll end up yucky tasting Tobacco :sick: :unsure:
The dehumidifier would only be used to keep the relative humidity near 65% not to dry the tobacco. I just want to prevent mold.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oldfella

I still don't like the idea of a dehumidifier, but that’s just me. As far as mold goes a good prevention method is having a good air flow through the leaves. A fan blowing gently will stir the air and venting will help to remove the humidity. You'll still have to keep an eye on them for mold, but I think that you'll end up with a better product. However in saying this long speech I've never used a dehumidifier, don't even own one. I'd suggest trying it out on a small batch first so that you don't end up ruining the whole crop.
Good luck with it, I'll watch with interest.
Oldfella
ps: a 1% solution of Hydrogen Peroxide sprayed or brushed on the mold areas kills without affecting the flavor.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
What does what?
  • dehumidifier: uses one of a number of different methods to absorb or condense water, removing from it from the ambient space, thereby reducing relative humidity by reducing total water in the air
  • heat: increases the water holding capacity of air (total water remains unchanged), which reduces the relative humidity
  • circulation fan: averages the relative humidity throughout an enclosed space, so fewer nooks and crannies are different from the rest of the space
  • insulation: reduces heat transfer, thereby reducing the cost of heating an enclosed space
  • seam and door seals: serve to reduce heat and water exchange with the exterior
  • exterior ventilation: allows the interior temperature and interior relative humidity (and total water) to more closely resemble exterior conditions
Bob