Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Two Completed Rifles from Knucklehead Firearms, INC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I took time off from pipe making to finish two rifles I've been building from surplus Mauser actions. This first one is a truck gun I built for carrying around in the off season in the truck and on the four wheeler for compactness and fast handling. It has an 18" Swedish Mauser carbine barrel I bought surplus. Had never been on a rifle. I soldered on the aftermarket banded and hooded front sight. I drilled and tapped for the ghost ring rear sight. I painted the metal with Duracoat Firearm Finish. HK black. I made the stock from American Black Walnut with rosewood forend tip and grip cap. Those are maple spacers between the walnut and rosewood. (that was a booger) I want to go back later and reshape the grip cap, I tried a different shape and the more I look at it the less I like it. Instead of setting the barrel shoulder back and re-reaming the chamber for proper headspace, I just tried several spare bolts I had on hand until I found one that headspaced correctly with the new barrel. For old eyes the ghost ring sight is awesome and the rifle is light and handles like a dream. It is in the original 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser caliber. Although I filed down the stripper clip boss on the receiver bridge for the ghost ring rear sight, I'm still able to quickly reload it with stripper clips. 6.5x55 close.jpg6.5x55.jpg

Knucklehead

Founding Member
This rifle began life as a Swedish Mauser military action. I added a Timney trigger set at 3 lbs., a Dayton Traister two position safety, a new Adams and Bennet barrel that was prethreaded and short chambered. I installed the barrel and deepened the chamber to proper headspace depth with a finishing reamer, checking as I went with go and no/go gauges. I drilled and tapped for scope mounts. I lapped the locking lugs. Forged the bolt to clear the scope with forging blocks from Brownells. I had a gunsmith blueprint the action for me because I don't have a metal lathe. Painted the metal parts with Duracoat Firearm Finish, HK black. I reshaped the military trigger guard to a sporty configuration, narrowed the trigger bow, etc. Installed a 1.75x6 Leupold VX-III scope I bought used on e-bay. Built the stock from a nice piece of dense English Walnut. Stippled the grip and forend. Glass bedded the action. Reshaped the tang. Maybe more I'll remember later. lol. Steel grip cap. It's chamber for 257 Roberts, one of the first wildcats and a classic deer caliber. It's a 7mm Mauser necked down to accept a .25 caliber bullet. 257 left.jpg257 right.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Beautiful work. I actually like the grip shape on the first rifle. It's suggestive of early 19th century flintlock pistols.

Bob

jekylnz

Some nice grains...I love the pearly depth of English walnut. .I know how much goes into the work o those to get them to look like that...ive made a couple of stocks ..pistol grips.for ends..out of nz native kaura etc..it take a bit to get them nice and ergonomic how the make them..especially to the right specs.lenght of pull.etc.as well

I likr the check piece on the second one..well done

Last edited:

skychaser

You got a real talent there Knucks. Wanna trade a pound of tobacco for one of them??...:)

What a cheep skate. I'll triple that offer!

Those are beautiful! Wow. I didn't know you had such talent. I've done a lot of wood working myself. A tree fell in our yard once and now it's our bathroom window trim, shelves, and base molding. Made all sorts of other things too but never anything like that. Nice job dude. :D

DGBAMA

Very nice. Brownells has a lot of neat gun stuff.

Guessing the Adams & Bennett barrel came from Midway Arms? If you have not used them check it out. Exceptional customer service.

For odd/obsolete gun parts check out Numeric Arms Corp.

Ishi

Knucks;
If you run out of stock blanks let me know I have a friend that cuts them and must have 10,000 cut now.

Ben Brand

Very nice work.
I've got and old Belgium army rifle, Calibre .308, my late Dad left me. Barrel surrounded by wood, think its got a Mauser action. How about I bring I bring it to you for modifications. I wish.
Well done.
Ben

workhorse_01

Who knew we had Leonardo Da vinci on the site. They look great. I love that 700 style stock, and the depth is right on time.

Status
Not open for further replies.