Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Unusual leaf mutation pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGBAMA

Since we have a thread for unusual flowers, Here starts one for leaf mutations.

I will go first with an interesting Izmir.

A split leaf......Completely healthy and no physical damage visible that may have caused the midrib to divide.

IMG_20130720_134349_141[1].jpg

IMG_20130720_134412_953[1].jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting. As with other examples of partial twinning, I would assume a microscopic aberration or injury at the leaf's growth tip triggered the split. This season, I've found several partially twinned cucumbers in my garden.

Bob

JessicaNicot

these are really neat. ive been working in tobacco for over 7 years now and I cant say I've ever seen a "twinned" leaf before... of any plant species but I've seen doubled flowers (my mom's dalia made a mirror image doubled flower a couple years back that went all the way down the stem).

ive seen a lot of seedlings with developmental defects that look like little cups (i'll try to remember to take a pic of the next one I see) instead of having true leaves. there are also what are known as "leaf tumors" which are a bulbous formation of lamina tissue (again I don't have any pics but i'll see if I can google one in a min). there is also a terrible variety known as Polalta that has club shaped leaves with very think and windy midribs.

update: total fail on finding pictures =/

Brown Thumb

Found this the other day giving hair cuts. Two leafs one stem on a harrow velvet plant. Excuse the paint on the fingers.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.