Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

What cigar leafs to use in pipe blends

Status
Not open for further replies.

stdly

Hi I am new to the forum and WLT.
I smoke only English blends lots of Latakia and no flavourings maybe a little Perique.

I thought I would try and blend my own tobacco so I ordered 5.5 pounds of what I thought would make a good pipe mix.
Canadian Flue Cured Virginia “Lemon”
Latakia Fire Cured Oriental
Flue Cured Virginia Red Leaf
Hand Tied Flue Cured Virginia Bright Leaf
Stacked Basma Whole Leaf Turkish
Dark Air Cured Tobacco

I want to ask a question about using some cigar leaf with a pipe blend.
I know the cigar smokers are going to cringe but I sliced up one of the Vegueros Del Rio cuba that was given to me and tried it alone and mixed with an English blend and it was pretty darn good and I didn't have to smoke it all at once.
Is there a certain leave I should be looking at on WLT's site to get this same flavour, wrapper filler or binder and what ones have people may be tried in there blends.

Steve

ChinaVoodoo

I've never kept specific track of which cigar leaf I've used in pipe blends. Different tobaccos certainly would have a noticeable effect on flavor. In the case of the commercial cigar you used, there are too many variables because the cigar is a mixture of different tobaccos.

I do know that small amounts go a long ways.

I also know that some binders work well for wrapper on a pipe tobacco rope. I've used the PA binder from a previous batch for this. I haven't used the current PA binder, but the stuff I used to have was nice and physically strong, with a neutral flavour and moderate nicotine.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I grow my own and have used a pipe to sample single varieties to get an idea of the flavor of each variety to help determine what each one would bring to a blend for pipe or cigar, much like I would occasionally do with single variety “puro” cigars. Rip off a hunk, stuff it in the pipe and smoke away. You can then determine how much to strengthen or tone down that flavor in a blend.

stdly

Thanks guys,

Now that I have read more of the forum I thought I might order one of the cigar blend kits from WLT and kill two birds by trying to roll a cigar and keep the nicest trims for pipe blending and smoking purposes.
Are these kits considered raw leaf tobacco?

Steve

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Thanks guys,

Now that I have read more of the forum I thought I might order one of the cigar blend kits from WLT and kill two birds by trying to roll a cigar and keep the nicest trims for pipe blending and smoking purposes.
Are these kits considered raw leaf tobacco?

Steve

stdly

Thanks I had that page bookmarked a couple days ago.
Should I not say raw leaf tobacco, but say tobacco that has not been stemmed or stripped?

Steve

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Thanks I had that page bookmarked a couple days ago.
Should I not say raw leaf tobacco, but say tobacco that has not been stemmed or stripped?

Steve
In regards to the kit, it is pretty much called whole leaf tobacco and in the US it is considered an agricultural product until the main stem is removed, or casings added, or basically manipulated in any way at which time it is legally considered a tobacco product. Here, whole leaf tobacco can be sold on the net, farmers markets, given away, etc. To sell a “tobacco product” requires licensing, tax stamps, and beaucoup paperwork as though you were a cigarette manufacturer. I checked out the ATF website years ago and according to them (at the time) it was illegal to give away a home grown hand rolled cigarette unless the tax was paid for the value of that cigarette. Crazy. But whole leaf tobacco with the mid rib intact is an ag product.

edit: upon reading that link I sent to you, it sounds as though Canada‘s term for whole leaf tobacco is raw leaf tobacco. I think. I’ve been wrong before. Oh, stop, cut it out you guys. :rolleyes:

stdly

Yes. Raw leaf is metric for Whole leaf.
Thanks for the CAD translation I got it now.
Are there any product that WLT sell that that us northerners should not import import?
I'm almost done with my Canadian questions.

Knucklehead I saw your edit thanks.

Steve

ChinaVoodoo

Thanks for the CAD translation I got it now.
Are there any product that WLT sell that that us northerners should not import import?
I'm almost done with my Canadian questions.

Knucklehead I saw your edit thanks.

Steve
I don't know of anyone who has imported threshed tobacco, so I can't say. There is a section in the federal excise tax act that talks about various forms raw leaf can take. I haven't memorized this. One form of raw leaf is called Canada twist. Whatever that is, i don't know. Curious though.

Status
Not open for further replies.