Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

what does the color of cured/curing leaf tell you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junglesteader

what do the different colors of cured leaf tell you about the quality or kind of smoke its gonna be, as far as flavor , burning , potency, etc.
and why did they turn that color instead of a different color? varieties , growing and curing conditions etc?
do you have a favorite color? why?

Junglesteader

well howdy , mr steader ill tell ya what i think i know so far.
yellowing on the plant means its ripe, curing green means it dried too fast and aint gonna be good for smoke , curing yellow is the bare minimum for being smokable and will be light mellow and smooth my virginia gold all came out this way air cured not a very strong flavor. and im assuming the darker the cured leaf is the stronger more bold flavor its gonna have. as far as nicotine content i have no idea if color tells you anything.

squeezyjohn

You need to give people a chance to respond! We're not all tied to our computers 24hrs a day - lots of us are busy harvesting :D

My least favourite colour is green - that means it will taste and smoke awful!

Boboro

I got 3 plants Same plants planted side by side Harvested at the same time hung next to one anutter. 3 diffrant colors. Dammed if I know what makes them tick.

Junglesteader

yeah , sorry if i seemed pushy i work on line, and can check often. i have seen some threads take off very quickly and was hoping this might be one of those. ive got baccy in different stages of color curing right now and am realy excited to understand what the different colors are telling me about my smoke.esp cuz you cant always tell by sampling freshly cured stuff. im trying to learn by observation and sampling for now.
hopefully this will become a good reference thread in the long run.
my first batch of baccy a few years ago grew to about 6 inches and flowered, (rustica) it cured green and tasted like moldy lawn clippings. this year ive got plants with leaves about a foot by two feet and 5 ft high, some bigger, my firrst batch is cured already mostly light brown with some gold in between the veins, after only a few weeks to a month of hanging it tastes and smoke not amazing but decnt. i put it away in a 5 gal bucket to prenvent mold hopefully it will age and develope that tobacco aroma in time , becuase it still smells a little like straw or hay. kinda surprising though cuz it tastes and smells like tobacco when i smoke it.

thanks FTT , with youre help i started out this winter not knowing a thing and now i already have my first coulpe lbs of cured leaf aging. and another bigger batch ripening, soon ready to hang, that im sure will be better than the first.

Junglesteader

interesting, have you had a chance to smoke them yet? what are the colors? let us know if they smoke different, someday when ya try them.
ive got one variety planted and harvested same time the leavs all cured pretty identically.

rainmax

Founding Member
My flue cured Virginias have lots of different colours. It was my first time curing it this way. I wanted to make lemon like I was smoking Virginia lemon from Don, but I also get Lime Virginia and many other fruitslike Virginias. All are smokable, tasty and I'm in love in my tobacco this year.

Boboro

Tan brown and yellow. Most likely they will be put in a box with little info and smoked next year Ive learnd that takin lots of notes onley frustrates me.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Junglesteader,
Are you located in Nepal? Switzerland? If you'll put a location in your profile, it will assist other members in answering your questions.

My experience is that the final color must await either kilning or at least 1 year of aging. The implication of the final color depends on the variety, its growing conditions (sun, shade, etc.), the class of the variety (flue-cure, filler, wrapper, etc.) and the stalk position.

Shade grown, a leaf will usually be lighter in color, and thinner than if grown in full sun. Light colored wrapper may be stronger than dark colored filler. Some darkly colored filler may be quite mild in strength, though rich in flavor. And, as always, lower stalk position is always lighter, milder and has lower nicotine than higher stalk positions of the same variety grown under the same conditions.

As an example, PA Red, which is a filler variety, should finish to a reddish brown. Nicotine is moderate, flavor is full. If PA Red upper leaf finishes to a dull, light brown, it has likely experienced improper curing conditions, and may be harsh. FL Sumatra, a wrapper variety, usually finishes to a deep brown, but always remains mild.

I would generalize to assert that among all varieties, the correlation between color and strength is only a loose one. Within a single variety, darker sometimes indicates a fuller flavor and aroma, and possibly higher nicotine, though this is not always the case.

The top leaf of Hickory Pryor, which kilns to nearly black, is smooth, mild, and relatively low in nicotine.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.