Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

What I've learned: Alaska

RussianSniperZ

Four things I feel will grow the best indoor tobacco plants:

1. Heat the pots with a seedling heat mat if you are growing and the temps of the room are around 67-68 degrees farenheit. The mat will raise the pot temp to around 74 degrees or so and the air temp into the 80s in the grow tent but make sure the grow tent has ventilation. I'm in Alaska were it's cold and we keep the house at 68 cuz of fuel costs.

2. Use loads of light. Keep the lights like 5 inches above the plants all the time as they grow. ****

3. Have a stand above the tobacco plants to tie the plants up. If you tie the plant up it won't have to use energy holding itself up. So I tried this with two of my most recent tobacco plants using one 1/2 inch rope (as a small string would cut the plants) and tied it up with a little tension in the middle of the plant in veg stage and the leaves got noticeably bigger than my other plants that were supporting themselves.

4. Use lots of red light when the plant is in veg stage for darker leaves. I had an infrared 30 dollar LED light on one of my plants the whole time and the leaves under that red light were darker green than the leaves just under the full spectrum lights.

I have done lots of learning about growing tobacco plants in the last year and a half and I have downloaded tons of articles and videos on growing and plan on becoming a commercial tobacco grower in the future.

And though I'm not Russian I stand up to my name as a Russian Sniper and snipe through learning about growing.

An idea I have had and am going to try is put like seven 3 inch whiffle balls in a couple of my 5 gallon pots so the roots get more air .

Any more experienced growers on here feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of the information I put on here.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChinaVoodoo

3. Have a stand above the tobacco plants to tie the plants up. If you tie the plant up it won't have to use energy holding itself up. So I tried this with two of my most recent tobacco plants using one 1/2 inch rope (as a small string would cut the plants) and tied it up with a little tension in the middle of the plant in veg stage and the leaves got noticeably bigger than my other plants that were supporting themselves.
This is fascinating. Was there also a change in leaf number before flowering? Can you elaborate on the amount of tension? Any thoughts on how you would be able to do this outside? How was it connected to the plant? Did you have to redo it as the plant grew taller? Any photos?

stuart1

This is fascinating. Was there also a change in leaf number before flowering? Can you elaborate on the amount of tension? Any thoughts on how you would be able to do this outside? How was it connected to the plant? Did you have to redo it as the plant grew taller? Any photos?
Interesting experiment, are there any photos of the results out of interest? I wonder if hefty staking to support would also have benefit as it would not need to develop additional strength to support its weight?

manfisher

Four things I feel will grow the best indoor tobacco plants:

1. Heat the pots with a seedling heat mat if you are growing and the temps of the room are around 67-68 degrees farenheit. The mat will raise the pot temp to around 74 degrees or so and the air temp into the 80s in the grow tent but make sure the grow tent has ventilation. I'm in Alaska were it's cold and we keep the house at 68 cuz of fuel costs.

2. Use loads of light. Keep the lights like 5 inches above the plants all the time as they grow. ****

4. Use lots of red light when the plant is in veg stage for darker leaves. I had an infrared 30 dollar LED light on one of my plants the whole time and the leaves under that red light were darker green than the leaves just under the full spectrum lights.

I have done lots of learning about growing tobacco plants in the last year and a half and I have downloaded tons of articles and videos on growing and plan on becoming a commercial tobacco grower in the future.

And though I'm not Russian I stand up to my name as a Russian Sniper and snipe through learning about growing.

An idea I have had and am going to try is put like seven 3 inch whiffle balls in a couple of my 5 gallon pots so the roots get more air .

Any more experienced growers on here feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of the information I put on here.
my wife and her family are from AK and will be moving back up there to be with them next year. Did you even plant in the ground or are they solely indoor plants?