Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Why Kiln?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortyb

I've previously cured my tobacco in 80-90 degrees at 80-95% humidity for 1-3 weeks before drying it & would sometimes get mold this way.

From reading this forum, it seems like a lot of people use a kiln with very high temperatures to prevent mold growth. I wanted to get some more info on this:
  • Why use a kiln? Is it mainly to prevent mold growth or does it produce a faster cure?
  • Will using a kiln take you through the whole curing process (color curing & drying)? I.e: can you put a freshly plucked green leaf in there, leave the humidity high until it yellows, then lower the humidity to finish off the drying phase?
  • What temperature & humidity schedule do you use for the kiln method? Are there any good stickies/walkthroughs for this whole process?

GreenDragon

Hi Morty,

Please start a thread in the Introduce Yourself area and tell us a little about yourself and your interests. What type of tobacco have you grown? Are you interested in cigars, pipe tobacco, etc?

The answers to your questions can be found in the Key Forum and Wiki links above. Short answers though are:

Faster Cure
No
See Key Forum Threads

And welcome to the forum! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.