Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Wrappers got no stretch in them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Brand

Rolled a few last night, but when I wrapped them with Criollo 98 Ligero, I felt that some of the wrappers got no stretch in them. If I try to stretch them to hard they simply tear. Very frustrating.
Got them done in the old end, and they look okay, but it took me several unwrapping and wrapping again.
All my tobacco was fermented for 5 weeks at roughly 60 Deg C. Only tried the Criollo, hopefully the others are better!! Any suggestions!!!

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Only time I had that happen was when I shade grew some wrapper under 70% shade cloth. There appeared to be no oils in the leaf and they were not stretchy. The other thing that relates to a non stretchy leaf would be if they were primed before being fully mature.

5 weeks at 60deg C seems like an awful long time. Most wrapper leaf is fermented at considerably lower temp than binder/filler. Keep in mind too that when the professionals pile ferment, only the center of the pile temporarily reaches the target temp, the rest of the pile does not. It is then mixed up and kept till the temp is reached again (in the center ).

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I kiln all my leaf (wrapper, binder, filler, non-cigar) at 125ºF (~52ºC) for 4 weeks. The small number of runs that I've taken to higher temps (135ºF or ~57ºC) produced some interesting flavors, leaf that burns well, and a loss of elasticity. I believe that the max temp is more determinative than the total duration.

With your existing leaf, try a double binder for a solid stick, then a gently wrapped wrapper.

Bob

rainmax

Founding Member
I have same problem 2013 year. All my wrappers lost elasticity simply (I believe so) because the fermenting temperature was to high over 50 deg. Celsius (122 F. +).
I watch a lot of videos about fermenting and they all say that when tobacco riches 38 C. (100 F.) they break pile and reorder it again. OK, sometimes temperatures riches 40 C.+ (104 F.-125 F.) but for short time. So, last year I didn't overcooked my tobacco. The temperatures was 40 C.-45 C. (104 F.-113 F.). Tobacco preserves elasticity but I need to ferment it once more. Lover temperatures - longer fermentation.

fermentacija.jpg
The world of the Habano, First edition, Tobaco research institute, Cuba (2012).

This is one page from The world of Habanos. I hope I don't violate any copyright laws here but I recommend readings like this. Slowly but longer is better way if you don't want that your leaf break apart like mine did. In the mid time: Have you ever tried Don's leaf?

Last edited by a moderator:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That is an interest graphic, Maks. If you can provide us with the reference info, then no copyright issue.

The graphic deals with primitive, unassisted fermentation in piles, which is considerably less efficient than a controlled kiln.

Bob

Ben Brand

Thanks for that. Yup I also thought I over did it with the fermentation temp, so I will definitely lower my temp. Iv`e got about 20 plants still hanging under my carport roof, mostly long Red and Conn B Leaf, will try them on a lower temp to see the difference..

Status
Not open for further replies.