Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

AmaxB ground prep an Grow 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
The first homegrown you smoke will be great ,right , because you did it yourself.!!!:cool: It won't matter what kind, you'l be hooked.

AmaxB

Ok so I know I should really do a test to see where my soil levels are hit on this at lowe's yesterday
test kit.jpg
Screened my soil and did the test
test photo.jpg
My results look good I think
test result 2.jpg
PH 7.0...Nitrogen is high....Phosphorus is medium...Potassium is high
But to take no chance on this I intend to treat with 10-10-10 fret and a bit of pelletized lime. What do you fellas think good or bad move???:confused:

Knucklehead

Founding Member
pH is high. Should be around 6.0. My pH is also 7.0 but i'm not going to try to lower it. With those results, I'd be tempted to plant and see what the leaf looks like. Too pale add fertilizer.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Ok so I know I should really do a test to see where my soil levels are hit on this at lowe's yesterday

Screened my soil and did the test

My results look good I think

PH 7.0...Nitrogen is high....Phosphorus is medium...Potassium is high

But to take no chance on this I intend to treat with 10-10-10 fret and a bit of pelletized lime. What do you fellas think good or bad move???:confused:
You don't need fertilizer. Your PH is a little high -- Not too bad. If it were mine I would be tempted to lower the PH with a little sulfur. I DEFINITELY WOULD NOT add lime. You can also lower PH with acidic mulch like oak leaves or grass clippings.

Otherwise you look good to go.

Webby

The lights seem right for planting. Great find that testing kit. I have looked at getting soil sent away for testing down here and was going to cost a bomb. I cannot find a stockist here but have bookfaced them as to where and how to get one. Thanx for that mate. And I'm with BarG on the whole wait for your first smoke of your own, its so satisfying that first one of the morning.;)

AmaxB

Oh MAN put my big foot in it,,,Got to looking like rain so I thought what the heck I'll do it. I put down the 10-10-10 and the lime (thin on the lime) guess I'll need to look for some sulfur now...will take a ride to Southern States to see if I can find some.
Thanks GUYS!!!
Your welcome Webby that little kit was easy to use and cost 9.00 and change.

Webby

Oh MAN put my big foot in it,,,Got to looking like rain so I thought what the heck I'll do it. I put down the 10-10-10 and the lime (thin on the lime) guess I'll need to look for some sulfur now...will take a ride to Southern States to see if I can find some.
Thanks GUYS!!!
Your welcome Webby that little kit was easy to use and cost 9.00 and change.

Compared to the nz$200+ they want to get it sent away, I was'nt gonna bother. Gotta love this site.

AmaxB

Compared to the nz$200+ they want to get it sent away, I was'nt gonna bother. Gotta love this site.
Ya Webby I like it too...If you look at the pics you can see the name of the kit could likely find it on line. I cleaned my little bottles up and saved the whole thing I got enough tablets I will be able to use this kit for the next handful of years.

Webby

Ya Webby I like it too...If you look at the pics you can see the name of the kit could likely find it on line. I cleaned my little bottles up and saved the whole thing I got enough tablets I will be able to use this kit for the next handful of years.

Already done it mate. Sent them a msg on Bookface (sorry facebook). It even gets good reveiws. The rain has finally arrived here so am havin a bit of a day off, got time to hava roam through the interweb. :p
Gonna get an update of the kiln up later and the end of my plants, suckers only now they all look cold with nothin on..
Well enjoying seeing how everyone getting on up there and just a touch envious.

AmaxB

GOOD DEAL WEBBY we want to see "Gonna get an update of the kiln up later and the end of my plants, suckers only now they all look cold with nothin on"

squeezyjohn

pH is high. Should be around 6.0. My pH is also 7.0 but i'm not going to try to lower it. With those results, I'd be tempted to plant and see what the leaf looks like. Too pale add fertilizer.

7 is high??? Does tobacco need an acid soil? I've got a bit of a problem then - as the area of England I live in has quite a chalky soil that goes from pH7-8. The tobacco I grew last year didn't seem to mind that at all.

I've only ever considered acidifying the soil with sulphur and coffee grinds when growing blueberries! All the other crops I grow like it neutral or slightly alkaline.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Like they said in the movie "Pirates of the Caribbean" The pirate code isn't really a set of rules, just guidelines.

squeezyjohn

Great - thanks knucks ... I'll just eat lots of fruit and then wee on the plants as usual! That should be enough!

AmaxB

Because of advice given by Knucklehead in another thread (to read Deluxestogie's 2012 grow log) http://fairtradetobacco.com/showthread.php?481-deluxestogie-Grow-Log-2012/page13 - I have read it and you can bet I'll stake em. I do get wind through my field! Will also follow lead for seed starts post #31 in this log. But maybe not exactly.
'
Is nice having guys around who help hard headed guys like me that think they know it all realize there is much to learn. Waiting for seed to arrive and will !!!!!!!!!!!!NEWS FLASH > JUST RECEIVED RECIPE MAKING LEAF FROM DON!!!!!!!!!!!! > GREAT LOOKING STUFFFF< I know what I will be doing soon.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
staking your plants is a good idea,

the burley will proablly hold itself up. but certain strians . are very fragile,

.... id suggest adding a little LIMEROCK,,DOLOMITE,,,,.. to your soil , it actually activates fertilizer, in the granular form,

have you got the patch plowed yet,???

AmaxB

staking your plants is a good idea,

the burley will proablly hold itself up. but certain strians . are very fragile,

.... id suggest adding a little LIMEROCK,,DOLOMITE,,,,.. to your soil , it actually activates fertilizer, in the granular form,

have you got the patch plowed yet,???

Geeeezzzzzzz Chicken you need to keep up see post #44 got a vid of it
I'll be stacking em all I've added Lime already is made about 25 miles from me. I'll look to see what kind it is my test showed I was high an maybe should not have put it on.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
hey man i'm always interested in why people order the exotic varieties that they do, what prompted you to order the 1553 that had you excited? it looks like a gorgeous plant, but anything else to it?

AmaxB

hey man i'm always interested in why people order the exotic varieties that they do, what prompted you to order the 1553 that had you excited? it looks like a gorgeous plant, but anything else to it?
Hi Smokes I got that one because of the Picture it is a beauty all I selected are a Flue Cure verity and none had Legal Rites paper work . I have heard nothing from GRIN so am thinking I might be getting the seeds got my fingers crossed.
I did get the seeds from Seedman just a bit ago here is what I got:
Golden Seal Special
Common Smoking Tobacco (?)
Black Sea Samsun Turkish
Silkleaf
Gold Dollar Burley
Oriental Blend (a mixed bag of different Orientals)
VA Brightleaf
Plus Seedlings from Mr. Big BONNER!
Looks like I am going to be making my Patch bigger and maybe doing a second one. If the TOBACCO GODS smile on me I'll have lots of seeds for next year and will be able to donate to the bank here. I will be following all rules to get pure seed from the verity I'm planting.
Guess I'll be starting seeds tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.