Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Casing my first blend

FokC352

Hi there, first post on this forum. I live in Europe and have been driven to diy cigarettes, as I like to call the entire process, by 3 things: it's "healthier" (you skip a lot of chemicals that you would otherwise have to deal with in commercial tobacco and you can do your own quality control), it's MUCH less expensive, and third, a reason which kind of stuck with me from listening to old people talking about cigarettes back in the day and how nowadays they are infinitely inferior to those they smoked back then. The story of how when someone would light up a Dunhill or a Marlboro or a Camel and it would smell so perfumed, the entire apartment block would gather around just to smell the aroma periqued my interest. So right now I'm trying to achieve that cigarette, or something better. My own thing, but something that is as memorable as the old cigarettes are for these people.

So. I have bought equal parts of german virginia, burley, oriental samsoun and dark fired kentucky from eurotabak here in Europe. I made a little tasting blend out of one leaf of each, it tastes pretty good, oriental-y with a smoky undertone. Good enough, but I don't know what it is, there's something missing. So I research online, and find out you need to ferment tobacco? But it takes weeks, I don't have that kind of time. Some sources say you can ferment in oven or even microwave but it's too fiddly. Then I look up flavourings and how to change your tobacco's taste and learn about casing and toppings and other flavourings, as well as toasting your tobacco (duh, even watched a bit of Mad Men and the famous "It's toasted!" scene). So I kind of wing it and reserve some virginia and burley for experiments. Only about 10 leaves each. I make a solution: 1 part cognac, 1 part tap water (later learned I should have used distilled) and about 1 table spoon heated honey, so it becomes more liquid and easier to mix, and some very carefully eyeballed splashes of white vinegar. I steal one of my girlfriend's water pulverisers (it's for a good cause), load it with my sauce, and I unload about half of the 100ml little bottle onto around 2-300g of shredded virginia and burley. I then load it onto a baking sheet and into the oven at god knows what temperature. All I know is that 30 minutes later, it started to smoke and smell pretty foul. Take dry baccy out of the oven, gandered pensively at its slightly darkened colour, sprayed it with the sauce again and back in the oven for another 40 minutes or until house almost catches on fire. The entire apartment smoked up, my girlfriend thought we were going to burn but I assured her that this is expected behaviour and everything is normal because I read it somewhere on an obscure tobacco forum from 20 years ago. After opening all the windows to air out the apartment, I took the casing mixture I previously made and sprayed the now seriously dark-brown (but in a good way) tobacco with it until came at smoking humidity. Let it rest for about an hour but I just HAD to try it out. The result was a surprisingly mellow smoke, absolutely no throat hit, extremely smooth, tasty, but without tasting any of the cognac. Note that this is without the oriental or dark fired kentucky added. Now, I apologise for writing a short novel, but what I initially wanted to ask is the following:

-what exactly does toasting do?
-do I toast oriental or dark fired kentucky as well?
-do I case oriental or dark fired kentucky as well?
-do I need to case all tobacco types with different casing and then blend?
-was it a mistake to roast the virginia?
-how do I get that sweet raisin smell of a fresh pouch of RYO tobacco?

Thanks guys, and sorry if I was a bore! I get chatty for no reason.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. You may wish to scan through the topics in our Index of Key Forum Threads, linked in the menu bar. You may also find useful information in the Cigarettes section of the WLT Wiki, also linked in the menu bar.

Perhaps other members can advise you on your cigarette tobacco questions.

Bob

waikikigun

Hi there, first post on this forum. I live in Europe and have been driven to diy cigarettes, as I like to call the entire process, by 3 things: it's "healthier" (you skip a lot of chemicals that you would otherwise have to deal with in commercial tobacco and you can do your own quality control), it's MUCH less expensive, and third, a reason which kind of stuck with me from listening to old people talking about cigarettes back in the day and how nowadays they are infinitely inferior to those they smoked back then. The story of how when someone would light up a Dunhill or a Marlboro or a Camel and it would smell so perfumed, the entire apartment block would gather around just to smell the aroma periqued my interest. So right now I'm trying to achieve that cigarette, or something better. My own thing, but something that is as memorable as the old cigarettes are for these people.

So. I have bought equal parts of german virginia, burley, oriental samsoun and dark fired kentucky from eurotabak here in Europe. I made a little tasting blend out of one leaf of each, it tastes pretty good, oriental-y with a smoky undertone. Good enough, but I don't know what it is, there's something missing. So I research online, and find out you need to ferment tobacco? But it takes weeks, I don't have that kind of time. Some sources say you can ferment in oven or even microwave but it's too fiddly. Then I look up flavourings and how to change your tobacco's taste and learn about casing and toppings and other flavourings, as well as toasting your tobacco (duh, even watched a bit of Mad Men and the famous "It's toasted!" scene). So I kind of wing it and reserve some virginia and burley for experiments. Only about 10 leaves each. I make a solution: 1 part cognac, 1 part tap water (later learned I should have used distilled) and about 1 table spoon heated honey, so it becomes more liquid and easier to mix, and some very carefully eyeballed splashes of white vinegar. I steal one of my girlfriend's water pulverisers (it's for a good cause), load it with my sauce, and I unload about half of the 100ml little bottle onto around 2-300g of shredded virginia and burley. I then load it onto a baking sheet and into the oven at god knows what temperature. All I know is that 30 minutes later, it started to smoke and smell pretty foul. Take dry baccy out of the oven, gandered pensively at its slightly darkened colour, sprayed it with the sauce again and back in the oven for another 40 minutes or until house almost catches on fire. The entire apartment smoked up, my girlfriend thought we were going to burn but I assured her that this is expected behaviour and everything is normal because I read it somewhere on an obscure tobacco forum from 20 years ago. After opening all the windows to air out the apartment, I took the casing mixture I previously made and sprayed the now seriously dark-brown (but in a good way) tobacco with it until came at smoking humidity. Let it rest for about an hour but I just HAD to try it out. The result was a surprisingly mellow smoke, absolutely no throat hit, extremely smooth, tasty, but without tasting any of the cognac. Note that this is without the oriental or dark fired kentucky added. Now, I apologise for writing a short novel, but what I initially wanted to ask is the following:

-was it a mistake to roast the virginia?

Thanks guys, and sorry if I was a bore! I get chatty for no reason.
Friend, I want to read this, but it is an overwhelming block of text and I have small seizures each time I try. It's not the right format to use to seek information from others on the internet, who are beseiged by 100s of demands on their attention each day. I offer this advice with honesty and affection. Break it down. Make it more easy to digest. All my best from a fellow smoker in California.

FokC352

Friend, I want to read this, but it is an overwhelming block of text and I have small seizures each time I try. It's not the right format to use to seek information from others on the internet, who are beseiged by 100s of demands on their attention each day. I offer this advice with honesty and affection. Break it down. Make it more easy to digest. All my best from a fellow smoker in California.

Fair enough, I should have thrown in a TL;DR.

In essence, I purchased equal parts of german virginia, burley, oriental samsoun and dark fire cured kentucky and I'm trying to blend them to get a nice, rich, full and aromatic but smooth cigarette blend. I have questions regarding the casing and toasting:

-was it a mistake to toast the virginia?

Alpine

Welcome to FTT.
I’ve never toasted or roasted my tobacco, but I would not toast orientals (orientals have their own distinct flavor, that can be altered by the high temperatures) or dark fired for the very same reason. Cigarettes in the old days were much higher in nicotine and tar content than what is available now (at least here in Europe) and, from what I remember, Camels were cased with licorice, Marlboros with chocolate and Luckies with coffee. And a lot of chemicals, of course.
What commercial tobacco do you use for your cigs?

pier

PS: you did nothing wrong with your tobacco: someone like it as is, some others use casings, others make cavendish or perique for their daily blend. Just keep on with your experiments, and let us know the results.

FokC352

Welcome to FTT.
I’ve never toasted or roasted my tobacco, but I would not toast orientals (orientals have their own distinct flavor, that can be altered by the high temperatures) or dark fired for the very same reason. Cigarettes in the old days were much higher in nicotine and tar content than what is available now (at least here in Europe) and, from what I remember, Camels were cased with licorice, Marlboros with chocolate and Luckies with coffee. And a lot of chemicals, of course.
What commercial tobacco do you use for your cigs?

pier

PS: you did nothing wrong with your tobacco: someone like it as is, some others use casings, others make cavendish or perique for their daily blend. Just keep on with your experiments, and let us know the results.
Hi, thanks for the warm welcomes and I apologise for the radio silence! Guess I'll have to try different casing recipes and techniques coupled with different toasting methods. I guess I am always comparing to the sweet smell of raisin cake that usually comes in shag tobacco pouches, such as Golden Virginia yellow or green. I didn't smoke RYO, but my friends do. I usually smoked lucky strikes and I have had the luck of smoking a few american marlboro reds which are miles ahead our european cigarettes, much smoother and complex.

Anyway, I shared my cased tobacco with a few friends yesterday, and they all criticised with things I also agreed with: the lack of throat hit (too smooth smoke), and the lack of a nicotine kick. It is possible that I toasted too much, getting rid of too much nicotine? However the taste itself was very pleasant, ever so slightly nutty and sweet but not overpowering. Note that this was just a toasted and cased blend of 50/50 burley/virginia, no aromatics used unfortunately. They also were skeptical at smoking honey, and I gotta ask: was the honey a mistake? Also, in casing recipes, I see many people inverting their sugars. Why does sugar need to be inverted? In addition, I've seen people rest their cased tobacco after toasting for up to a week. What is the true effect of this? Does it improve taste or the smoke characteristics?

My next experiment is to make another 50/50 blend of burley/virginia, but this time toast them with a low and slow method I've seen posted on some forum... And case it with something perhaps more interesting. Like homemade blueberry liquor? Or maybe some muscovado sugar with perhaps some cocoa. I still don't understand if I should case oriental or dark fire cured tobacco. And if I don't? Won't adding it to an already cased blend just case the tobacco anyway?

Sorry again for talking too much!

GIL

Trying to reproduce commercial tobaccos is a waste of time, that's why we use leaves, to exploit the flavor of the tobacco. However, some flavors bring some improvement. You are on your own here, you will have to experiment. The "cigarette tobacco" forums are full of the experiments of various members.
I used those leaves many times (years ago), they were always of good quality and I didn't have to process them additionally. I think your problem lies in the mixing ratios.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Here is a hersheys chocolate casing/toasting recipe