Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Colin new zealand 2012 grow log

Status
Not open for further replies.

COLIN

Hi everybody i see everyone has just about completed there grow for the year and i am just starting mine. I have just finished my propagating box and ready to plant seed.will post picture's when i get camera up and running.have read a lot off post on ftt but been unable to find any on moon faze's [waning-waxing].i here that plant's absorb there nutrient's on the new moon [darkest time] and do there vertical growth on the foolmoon due to the gravity pool nodoubt someone in this forum could advise me. Regard's colin

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Colin, I've never believed in the "planting by the moon theory" Tobacco is just such a fantastic plant that basically no mater when you plant it, it will grow like crazy. Planting by the moon is just one more thing to add to your list of "all things tobacco", why add another step?

The problem with planting by the moon is that you can never prove it works. Think about this: You plant some seeds during the first phase of the moon and then you plant another batch 1, 2 or 3 weeks later ( all corresponding to a different phase of the moon). At the end of the harvest season you look at your plants and notice some are much bigger. What does that tell you? Nothing! The seeds you planted during the first phase might have received more/less rain, it might have been cooler/ hotter, the days might have been getting longer/shorter, maybe more cloudy days in the begining of the month than in the end of the month. Maybe you have near frost conditions during a certain week. Way too many variables to even come close to saying planting by the moon is helpful. I personally like to plant by the sun..:D

Randy B

leverhead

Colin, I've never believed in the "planting by the moon theory" Tobacco is just such a fantastic plant that basically no mater when you plant it, it will grow like crazy. Planting by the moon is just one more thing to add to your list of "all things tobacco", why add another step?

The best counter I've heard for that was, "if it's powerful enough to affect the oceans, it's powerful enough to affect my ______" fill in the blank. If it feels right, do it! As long as it doesn't involve something like putting circles of salt around each plant, it won't hurt anything.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Colin, Off subject a bit -- If I stand at the junction of the two rivers in Masterton facing north which one (to my right or left) is the one that flows near your place? OH Yeah, what's the name of the other one? Thanks,

John

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That ole' moon is circling around the earth every day, whether full moon or new moon or in between. Last I heard, it exerts the same gravity, regardless of how much sunlight is shining on it.

For most plants, energy production is maximal during the day (sunlight), while energy utilization for growth occurs mostly at night, with little impact from the smattering of photons from moonlight.

The moon is such a conspicuous and changing object in the night sky, it has been tempting throughout history to assign astrological, numerological and agronomic importance to its appearance.

Oceanic tides at shorelines require open expanses of water to accumulate enough of a gravitational mounding to be at all visible. Examine the "tides" of a large (say, 2 acre) pond. Nothing. I would guess that the lunar gravitational effect on plant shoots and roots is several orders of magnitude smaller than the effect of immediate conditions (weather, herbivore predation, nutrient ratios, soil compaction).

Although I know of no ill effect of planting by the moon phases, I wouldn't expect dramatic benefits.

Bob

Tom_in_TN

Colin, if you want to plant according to moon phases then do it. There is no problem with planting by the moon as said above. Perhaps no one can prove it works but on the other hand no one can ever prove it does not work. My neighbors raise tons of vegetables that they sell to the public. They raise everything according to moon phases.

BarG

Founding Member
If you have a farmers almanac for New Zealand go for it. I have noticed here that it matters most in early planting. as opposed to late planting. I have noticed a difference for seeds ground sown. Unfortunately tobacco is no longer included in the farmers almanac for my area.

Tom_in_TN

BarG, unfortunately tobacco is no longer included in the on line farmers almanac for any area. They have given way to the politically correct and pseudo science movement. I suppose the best way to approach this is to examine other plants within the nightshade family. I raised my other nightshade crop (tomatoes) in the middle of my tobacco, just like BigBonner does. They did pretty good, 45 gallons of sauce.

Colin could lead the way here and plant according to moon phases. To enhance a plant's ability to absorb nutrient's on the new moon any variety would do well on that phase. So, Colin on the full moon phase (for taller growth) do not plant Bursa or you will need a step ladder (at the least) to reach the top of the plant. If you were to plant Little Dutch, then the full moon phase would be a benefit. Also, some of the rustica varieties could benefit from tall growth.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
BarG, unfortunately tobacco is no longer included in the on line farmers almanac for any area. They have given way to the politically correct and pseudo science movement. I suppose the best way to approach this is to examine other plants within the nightshade family. I raised my other nightshade crop (tomatoes) in the middle of my tobacco, just like BigBonner does. They did pretty good, 45 gallons of sauce.
You ought to team up with Workhorse. I understand he does a mean sauce too.

John

COLIN

Hi have just finished reading your fair trade tobacco seed collection.i have some spare space available if someone need's some seed grow out's done .also could someone please tell me where i could purchase some bag's to cover my seed head's. Regard's colin

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Hi have just finished reading your fair trade tobacco seed collection.i have some spare space available if someone need's some seed grow out's done .also could someone please tell me where i could purchase some bag's to cover my seed head's. Regard's colin
Daniel (this forum) sells them.

John

COLIN

The one on the right . Can anyone tell me the preferd temperture for my heat pad that i sit my propergater on. As i do not haye a themostat and will have to lift it up with some packer's colin

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Colin,
Tobacco seed germinates between 60ºF and 85ºF (15.6ºC and 29.4ºC), so you can safely aim for 80ºF (26.7ºC). Above 90ºF (32.2ºC), the germination rate drops dramatically. Many seedling mats nominally raise the temp 10-20ºF (5.6-11.1ºC) above ambient, but I've had them go much higher, since there really is no built-in thermostat in the cheaper ones. Ideally, a separate thermostat and probe will give precise control of soil temp.

Bob

COLIN

Thank's for that bob i have mine at 72.bob i tried to reply to your message but no go may be better if i email you regard's colin

Status
Not open for further replies.