Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

RednekF350's 2023 Grow Blog

Rednekf350

Started a tray of Golden Burley from my own seeds harvested last year and a tray of TN-86 Burley with seeds from O'Neill Seeds on March 11. Stripped the plastic off on the 19th. Not impressed with the germination of the TN-86 but was also worried about the sealed Miracle-Gro Seed Starter Mix that I had on a shelf since last year. I probably should have tossed it because it looked like it had some white mold specs in it but I used it anyway, My own seeds germinated pretty well but both trays, while under plastic, showed signs of a white mildew.

For backup, I started another tray tonight with fresh seed starting mix and new TN-86 seeds. Hoping for a little bit better result. In any event, I should hve more than enough Golden Burley plants.

Good luck this year everyone !

Attachments

• Restart 3-21-2023.jpg
    Restart 3-21-2023.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Seed Statrting 3-11-2023.jpg
    Seed Statrting 3-11-2023.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 5

skychaser

The TN 86 should have germinated well. O'Neil gets their tobacco seed from me. I had it lab tested by the Dept of AG State Seed Lab in New Mexico less than a year ago. It was grown in 2021. I really don't know why it didn't germinate well for you. ??

Here are the test results.

Tobacco : Nicotiana Tobacum
Test: Germination
Kind: Variety: TN86 Seeds
Tested 400
Germ 93%
Abnormal 2%
Dead 5%
Dormant 0%
Hard Seed 0%
Test Complete 4/4/2022

Rednekf350

The TN 86 should have germinated well. O'Neil gets their tobacco seed from me. I had it lab tested by the Dept of AG State Seed Lab in New Mexico less than a year ago. It was grown in 2021. I really don't know why it didn't germinate well for you. ??

Here are the test results.

Tobacco : Nicotiana Tobacum
Test: Germination
Kind: Variety: TN86 Seeds
Tested 400
Germ 93%
Abnormal 2%
Dead 5%
Dormant 0%
Hard Seed 0%
Test Complete 4/4/2022

I am thinking maybe it was the sub-par starting mix. I had two bags leftover from 2022 and I used 1 bag in each tray. Maybe one was worse than the other ?
The new tray I started yesterday should answer that question. Fresh mix and more O'Neill seeds.