Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

storing perique long term

jarhead1234

I was wondering if I bought perique from WLT if i could press the air out of it and store it long term and would it still ferment or mature? what container would be best and what wrapping would I use in the container? I am looking to do about 15 pounds total. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. Feel free to introduce yourself in the Introduce Yourself Forum. You may wish to browse through the topics in our Index of Key Forum Threads, linked in the menu bar.

The perique that I have received from WLT was vacuum sealed within vapor-proof bags. It will keep that way for years. Once I open a bag, I usually shred all of it, spread it out on a baking sheet, allow it to dry down to low case, then store it in a Ziploc bag at room temperature. I suspect that it has already fermented and "matured" as much as it ever will.

If the perique is exposed to air, then stored without drying, I have, on occasion, seen the growth of some tiny yeast colonies that I assume to be Pichia anomala. That is the yeast that produces perique from cured tobacco.

Bob