Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

ARS-GRIN "Material not available at this time"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
this is really nice but some of the GRIN info is wrong, that is, unless Quinn found my old file of changes i wanted to make. i'll follow up with him to see if they were ever implemented and if not i'll make the changes myself when the new GRIN-Global system goes live later this year and i figure out how to get it set up and use it. there are some changes to crucial information like PI#s and names, but i doubt that those changes affect very many of the cultivar accessions that FTT members seem to be most interested in.

Let me know if it needs to be fixed, if so I'll resubmit the list with correct info!

JessicaNicot

There are a couple of ways to extract data from GRIN that may not be apparent.

1) To get the accessions or passport data you can download an entire genus in the FAO MCPD (Multicrop Passport Descriptor format). The link is at:

http://www.ars-grin.gov/~dbmuqs/cgi-bin/mcpd_gen.pl

2) To extract the evaluation and descriptor data for many of the accessions you should do the following:

a) go to the TOBACCO crop page and select the middle query 'using version of short form with expanded..'
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/crop.pl?81
b) on the search page select the left checkbox for CLASS
c) on the popup select '>=' for the operator and BU for Burley
d) 1553 accessions should be selected. Use the right checkboxes on any other descriptor you want in the report or download

i just fielded a question on selecting varieties as well. if you're interested in other traits such as nicotine content, etc, those traits for many of the GRIN accessions are also available by following this link. clicking on the characteristic will explain what the trait is, the units of measure, etc. i doubt many of you will be interested in the chemical components except for nicotine and maybe nornicotine, but there are also many morphological descriptors such as height, leaf habits including number, etc.

workhorse_01

Wow 64.4 nicotine. We were talking about Orinoco as if it was high but its quite a bit less.yes Knicks the first then descriptors.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I grew that last season, it's a good cigar variety. Numbers are up there with dark air, and just a little higher than burley. It's just that the in depth data is only on the ti's, it is absent for the common varieties. Also some of the data is erroneous. Can't complain too much about all the free info though

workhorse_01

I agree, I was trying to find the nicotine content for yellow Orinoco and I had to scroll through a lot of data.
I grew that last season, it's a good cigar variety. Numbers are up there with dark air, and just a little higher than burley. It's just that the in depth data is only on the ti's, it is absent for the common varieties. Also some of the data is erroneous. Can't complain too much about all the free info though

JessicaNicot

if youre looking for specific information on a variety and you know the PI#, all you have to do is search that PI number in the accession area inquiry page (http://www.ars-grin.gov/npgs/acc/acc_queries.html). if there is any data associated with that particular variety, it can be found by clicking on "observations" on the GRIN page for that accession. for example, Yellow Orinoco (TC 455) is PI 552783 (http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/acc/display.pl?1447755). it has 20 observations (altho some are duplicates from multiple studies and unfortunately it was not included in any of the leaf chemistry studies).

Status
Not open for further replies.