Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

BTs 2017 Better late Than ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Thumb

Does anyone pull there Scape.
I cut my first ones.
I read pulling the is better and causes less stress.
I yanked some tonight and it worked really good, popped right off.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone pull there Scape.
I've done it both ways. Cutting seems to result in a longer remnant in the plant, since pulling may yank most of it out of the leaf stalk. I was thinking that cutting causes less trauma, but I don't really know.

They're edible and fairly tender.

Bob

Brown Thumb

There good eating Bob.
I chew on them as Im picking also and drinking beer.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I chew on them as Im picking also and drinking beer.
I accepted that as a challenge. I pulled two late scapes this morning. I bit into one of them, savoring the intense garlic juice, but did not chew or swallow any of the scape. The taste continued to increase in intensity, even though I had tossed the scape into the grass. I picked a couple of fat blackberries, and ate them as an antidote. No joy. Now, I feel like I have a Mars-sized object perturbing my Kuiper Belt.

Although I still stand by the assertion that you can never have too much garlic, in the future, I'll stick to pickled scapes.

Bob

Brown Thumb

I accepted that as a challenge. I pulled two late scapes this morning. I bit into one of them, savoring the intense garlic juice, but did not chew or swallow any of the scape. The taste continued to increase in intensity, even though I had tossed the scape into the grass. I picked a couple of fat blackberries, and ate them as an antidote. No joy. Now, I feel like I have a Mars-sized object perturbing my Kuiper Belt.

Although I still stand by the assertion that you can never have too much garlic, in the future, I'll stick to pickled scapes.

Bob
Jeesh, I chew and eat them, But I also grow and eat Super hot peppers like brain stain, ghost, reepers, peppers.
my taste is burned out a little bit.;)

BarG

Founding Member
I have been making hot sause out of my tomatoes and jalapenas plants this year only. I am stilll eating canned tomatoes from 5 years ago. I only did 6 big boys and I added chicken mushroom nulch when I planted them and they are producing as many as 10 or 12 plants. I pick 20 a day of fair size to big tomatoes now that the heat is on. I am on about 12 quarts so far and they are still loaded.

My recipe> per quart give or take

5-7 large skinned tomatoes mashed.
5-8 jalapenoes deseeded cut and processed in onion grinder,
A good bunch of cilantra chopped fine
(More tomatoes for milder more peppers for hot)

3 garlic cloves chopped or ground
1 onion chopped
1 bellbepper chopped
1 lime fresh squeezed
salt to taste a few dashs and a few dashs of tony chacheros
bring to slow boil and stir.
simmer till peppers and onions are soft and done.

Eat while hot with white corn chips.

Can be frozen to save for large batches. or processed in pressure cooker (no need to cook if using pressure cooker)

I warm it up in microwave after defrosting? some like it cold.

Last edited:

Brown Thumb

I have been making hot sause out of my tomatoes and jalapenas plants this year only. I am stilll eating canned tomatoes from 5 years ago. I only did 6 big boys and I added chicken mushroom nulch when I planted them and they are producing as many as 10 or 12 plants. I pick 20 a day of fair size to big tomatoes now that the heat is on. I am on about 12 quarts so far and they are still loaded.

My recipe> per quart give or take

5-7 large skinned tomatoes mashed.
5-8 jalapenoes deseeded cut and processed in onion grinder,
A good bunch of cilantra chopped fine
(More tomatoes for milder more peppers for hot)

3 garlic cloves chopped or ground
1 onion chopped
1 bellbepper chopped
1 lime fresh squeezed
salt to taste a few dashs and a few dashs of tony chacheros
bring to slow boil and stir.
simmer till peppers and onions are soft and done.

Eat while hot with white corn chips.

Can be frozen to save for large batches. or processed in pressure cooker (no need to cook if using pressure cooker)

I warm it up in microwave after defrosting? some like it cold.
I'm gonna give the recipe a try. I like cold Salsa also.
I like plain and simple with some heat.

greenmonster714

Sounds good to me. I like a little heat in just about everything I eat. Can't stand the heavy heat like ghost pepers. I'll never understand why folks want to burn their lips off. Just plain crazy to me.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
My father used that mix from his neighbor (chicken farmer that also grew mushrooms) his ordinary beefsteaks were planted in front of his house. They grew up past the roof and produced an insane amount. Always wanted to try tobacco in that stuff.

BarG

Founding Member
Here is what my plants are on the down side. My jalapenoes and bells are on the other side from pic. That is all thats left of this yrs. garden
101_0020.jpg

BarG

Founding Member
My father used that mix from his neighbor (chicken farmer that also grew mushrooms) his ordinary beefsteaks were planted in front of his house. They grew up past the roof and produced an insane amount. Always wanted to try tobacco in that stuff.
I will be trying a small grow next yr. with it. You can get a pickup or trailor load for $35.00

A word of caution, It can be to hot if real fresh. My neighbor put to much one yr. and burned his whole tomato crop.

BarG

Founding Member
I added a ton of topsoil from digging a pond out back and added a trailor of the mushroom mulh this yr. I had a great corn, tomato and pepper harvest. I would have had some great roma snap beans and purple hulls but the deer said no.

Status
Not open for further replies.