Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

deluxestogie Grow Log 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Id just line your patches with chicken wire to keep them out..and enjoy thier company....

Knowing me id throw some road kill on that log pile.and feed them

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Deluxestogie's INCREDIBLE Flea Circus Tobacco Patch

Step right up, folks. For one thin dime, one tenth of a dollar, you can witness the incredible Flea Circus Tobacco Patch. Step in real close, now. You may have to squint your eyes bring these miraculous micro plant dynamos into clear focus.

Garden20150526_1789_FLSumatra_bed_300.jpg
Garden20150526_1783_DutchOhio_LongRed_300.jpg

Garden20150526_1784_Havana322_No3666Deli_300.jpg
Garden20150526_1785_HabanoColorado_Bahia_SanAndres_andElders_300.jpg

There are a few other beds, but they all look the same--pathetic.

My two remaining elder plants (germinated in late winter of 2012, and confined to 3-1/2" pots since that time) are now in the ground. As you can see, the Olor already has bird shit on one leaf. The stalk has been cut off repeatedly over the intervening years.

Garden20150526_1786_2012Elder_DROlor_300.jpg
Garden20150526_1787_2012Elder_DROlor_stalk_300.jpg

The elder Golden Burley looks apoplectic, and may suffer the fate of all living things that can't adapt to change. We'll see.

Garden20150526_1788_2012Elder_GoldenBurley_400.jpg

All that's left to plant is Chillard's White Angel Leaf.

Garden20150526_1790_Chillards_400.jpg

After replacing transplants that fell to fox shenanigans, birds and slugs, this is all the transplants remaining.

Garden20150526_1791_leftovers_400.jpg

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Big celebration today (I slugged down all of a 1 liter bottle of diet Pepsi in a single sitting, while perched in front of a box fan tilted at my face!): the tobacco is in the ground; last veggies, Chinese eggplants, are in the ground. Tomato cages are placed. Dead bramble canes are cut and dumped over the fence. Life is good.

Despite the appearance of the pictures I posted way back yesterday, there is at least a glimmer of a tobacco plant in each spot, 16 plants per 60 sq. ft. bed. A few are admittedly pretty iffy, but there will be tobacco. Now that the temps are consistently hot, I'll also find a place for the few, tiny Deer Tongue seedlings that remain in the two germination jars.

Chillard's White Angel Leaf (whatever the hell it is) has 8 transplants out in the ground.

My 24' long bed beside the house, in which I placed 16 Columbian Garcia transplants a couple of weeks ago, actually has 12 survivors, plus two semi-hemi-demi-survivors. One transplant was apparently buried (from foxling digging) for several days, before I discovered its smiling leaves this morning. I guess they were smiling at having finally been rescued from the landslide.

Now, if only the promised rains will come. (I hate lugging out the hose.)

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Sigh! Hauled out the hose and watered for an hour after dinner. Now it's good for at least several days, foxes willing.

Bob

DGBAMA

Sigh, I watered after work today because it once again appeared for the 4th day in a row that the forecast thunder showers would not appear........ A couple hours later, it is pouring down.

Hope you get the rain you need Before you drag the hose out again.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Hope you get the rain you need Before you drag the hose out again.
Yesterday evening, I watched a thunderstorm on Doppler radar head directly toward me. Yay! Twenty minutes before it was to arrive in all its watery glory, the radar showed it break apart and vanish into nothing. In the real world, the black clouds to the West faded to light gray as they passed overhead.

Pink sky this morning.

Bob

rustycase

I just gotta ask about that one, DS... Chillard's White Angel Leaf.
Does that indicate fellows here are creating their own strains?

There won't be much of that around here,

crude-awakening-during-burning-man-dust-storm1.jpg

but it would be interesting to hear more about it.

Marauders... be it deer, fox, possums, skunk, squirrels, rabbits, any kind of minefield layers...
For now, I'm just dealing with them with chicken wire protection.

When the mega biker zombie apocalypse hits, I'm gonna eat all them varmints.
rc

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Chillard's White Angel Leaf.
Does that indicate fellows here are creating their own strains?
Chillardbee received some seed from Madhouse (in the UK). It was labeled as something that it turned out not to be. In most situations like this--it happens all too often, the seed would not be worth saving. You'll never know what it is.

In this specific case, Chillardbee noted that the leaf all turned "white" before harvest. I'm not sure what that means. But Jitterbugdude and I obtained seed from Chillardbee produced by that tobacco. In the absence of a proper name, Chillardbee decided to name it "Chillard's White Angel Leaf." I'm not sure if JBD is growing it out, but I have 8 specimens in the ground. We'll see what turns up, and if it's worth propagating. It may be a single, stable strain, or it may be an F1 hybrid that yields a potpourri of unidentifiable variants.

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I have 3 in the ground (as of May 8) and 2 still in their peat pots. Way too early for substantive observations but the 2 in the ground are very pale, like they need fertilizer.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Well, between the two of us growing Chillard's White Angel Leaf, we have 11 plants in the ground. Hopefully, if it is Madhouse's variegated Samsun, we may see a few that are variegated. If that happens, then we will know what it is.

Bob

rainmax

Founding Member
Bravo. Glad to hear that all tobacco is in the ground. Now the race begins.
I was at my places today and it looks good. It is two weeks after transplanting and I think that plants start growing, finally.

Good luck, Bob.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
All In with the Deer Tongue

The Deer Tongue that I transplanted to the back bed in early May never really thrived. Nights were down into the low 40s, and the fox kits abused the sorry little plants.

My impression (which may or may not be correct) is that Deer Tongue does not like to be transplanted in the same manner as tobacco--that is, by plucking a tiny seedling from its soil, and placing it in new soil. Although it survived the transplants, it clearly did not like the chilly nights.

Garden20150530_1801_DeerTongue_terrarium_300.jpg

I had clusters of tiny seedlings remaining in the sealed germination jars.

Garden20150530_1802_DeerTongue_jarOpened_400.jpg

No water had been added to the jars since the seed was started.

Garden20150530_1804_DeerTongue_newBed_400.jpg

A small garden bed that still held some leftovers (onions and lettuce) planted in late summer of 2014 seemed like as good a place as any for a final try with the Deer Tongue. This time, I just dug a hole large enough to accommodate the contents of an entire jar, and plopped in the mass of seedlings--as is.

Garden20150530_1803_DeerTongue_transplanted_400.jpg

The Deer Tongue will either grow or not. Regardless, they will receive some late-season veggies as neighbors. The pity is that there were so many variables that I'm not sure what determined their fate.

Bob

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
Well, between the two of us growing Chillard's White Angel Leaf, we have 11 plants in the ground. Hopefully, if it is Madhouse's variegated Samsun, we may see a few that are variegated. If that happens, then we will know what it is.

Bob

How i the Chllars angle leaf doin Bob? I Havent gotten mine in the ground yet but it is diffenately turning yellowish.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
As of today, the Chillard's are completely, utterly unremarkable. They are starting to grow, but show not a speck of variegation. Also, the leaves, so far, do not appear to be petiolate. It's looking more like a burley than a Samsun variant. BUT, it's really early to say much.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Garden20150602_1808_entireGarden_600.jpg

It's been fairly dry for the past couple of weeks. This afternoon, we had 3/4 inch of rain. Within 2 hours, the grass was dry enough to walk on, without getting my boots wet.

Garden20150602_1809_VueltaAbajo_bed_400.jpg

The Vuelta Abajo bed is the most advanced, if one can call it that. Rain is forecast daily for the next week, so I'm expecting everything else to take off in a few days.

In past years, I could ignore these early doldrums, since the beds would have been covered with Agribon. This year, I get to go out every morning and look at how little growth there has been. Nonetheless, I think the plants are actually slower this season.

I'll dig the garlic next week, then transplant 8 more tobacco plants there--a bit of this and a bit of that.

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
I had all my tobacco garden planted and it looked great! 2 hours later it started raining and never stopped for 3weeks. It's a Bust this year. 2 Vegetable gardens also. If the rain,storms and no sun didn't get them the deer did, heh heh. Good luck to everyone who is doing well.

Smokin Harley

Bob, you're digging garlic already?? I've always dug it up late August and replanted late October. Although I'm not sure what happened to my garlic . I planted 48 cloves last fall and only got maybe 6-8 come up. Not sure if it got froze out or rotted . The year before I planted out 36 and got 30 heads back ,6 of which were huge.

Your Vuelta looks great .

Status
Not open for further replies.