Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

First kiln. Critique please and possibly new idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenthunderbolt

Hey guys,

Here is the mock up of my first ever kiln:
kilnmockup_zps6d416010.jpg
Big corrugated card tv box lined with Polly-styrene foam (about an inch thick) sitting on plywood on 2x4 spacers underneath. (Note: the sharpie on the bottom RHS is for size refernece only!)

Large crock pot for heat and humidity, smaller one for additional heat (if I end up needing it).

Icream continer represents my (possibly) new idea - using a container with Oasis florists foam soaked in the water/pro-glycol mix that humidors use to maintain 70% humidity.
Is this a good idea and would I be simply better off with a box of salt slurry there?

I'm just waiting to ninja bid on a thermostat to run the slow-cookers.

I could also line it with heavy black plastic but that would then definitely mean that I need need a vent and fan I would think. Yes/No?
If yes, has anyone jerry-rigged a computer fan with a mob phone charger type transformer to run it? I would think our full 240V would blow the average computer fan to hell and back!

At the moment I am hoping that the gap near my door (you can see the sheet of foam on the RHS of the pic that will fit there) will allow for sufficient circulation via heat convection, particularly if I punch a few holes in the floor.

Cheers for any feedback folks - mostly planning to ferment colour cured and processed tobacco for pipes in bags on racks in there, with an increasing interest in fitting in some whole leaves for making cigars.

Many thanks,
Jeremy

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
That kinda looks like my first kiln. You won't need to vent it - will leak enough on it's own. As small as it is, probably won't need a fan either. One crockpot on it's own will provide ample heat and humidity. You may need to partially cover the crockpot - you'll be surprised how much moisture the crockpot puts out.
I ended up throwing an old blanket and towels, then blanket insulation over mine for more insulation and to reduce leaks.
A thermostat to maintain constant temp is a must - my first few loads, I was just alternating every few hours between the 'warm' and 'low' setting on the crockpot - real PITA.
Just plug it in, monitor your temp, and make adjustments as you ferment - trial-and-error until you get it right. Nothing wrong with the 'feel' method for proper RH - meters aren't that accurate anyway.

DrBob

Founding Member
get a freezer. Check out lefty's photos posted elsewere. He built a dandy.
Dr.Bob

darren1979

First Time Grower
you may have some issues using cardboard as your outer with the moisture needed in the kiln. you may wake up one morning and the sides have collapsed. also how are you going to hang your baccy? thats the two things jumping out at me.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I've seen styrofoam coolers that were larger. Cheap. You could use the lid for the door and they seal pretty well. The coolers use much thicker styrofoam than what you are using. A one piece cooler would eliminate having to tape all those seams and having the humidity destroy the tape adhesion. I think some metal rod shoved slap through the cooler from side to side could be used to hang tobacco or support a rack. You can use some 16D screw shank nails to hold the door shut. Your small crock pot should give plenty of heat and humidity. And a lower hot water heater thermostat could control the crock pot, set it at about 120 and monitor your temps. I think they cost about $6.00 or so. Then you'll need a whatchamacallit to display temperature and relative humidity so you can make adjustments with the thermostat and venting.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
There is nothing wrong with what you got for a starter fermenting chamber. It will work fine, although it may require lots of attention and adjustments.
On my first fermenting chanber (kiln), I used Gorilla glue to hold the styrofoam together - resists heat/moisture. Biggest problem will be a tight fit on the door - that's why I used blankets/towels over my kiln box.
Use a remote temperature/RH meter to monitor what's happening inside, and minimize opening the door. You really need something to control the crockpot temperature, either a remote temp controller, or just check it frequently and use a on/off switch, or just plug/unplug it. Use a syphon system to keep water in the crockpot, so you don't have to open the door frequently.

The ideal temperature range is 115-125 F degrees (46-51 C). Try not to let it exceed 130 F (55 C), and absolutely don't let it exceed 140 F (60 C). If the temp drops below 115 F for a period, no problem - just means your fermenting may be slowed a bit.

Frozenthunderbolt

Choice thanks guys! I'll have a practice with this then.
I'll line it all with black plastic sheeting to water proof it, hook the crock pot to the thermostat (once i win the auction) and insulate over the top as well.
Rod right through the whole lot to take whole leaf, and a rack to take pre-cut leaf in bags.
Eyes peeled for an upright fridge or freezer (well 2 actually - i want one to make salami in!)

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
yeah your best bet would be a old refrig.

i made my kiln by framing the bakckside of a old camper in,

at first it didnt look that big, but once i loaded it, and seen how much bacca i had hanging, and how much room i had left.

is when i noticed just how big it was,

Status
Not open for further replies.