Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Perique style fermentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldbear

I tried making a small-batch preique press using C clamps and one pint wide mouth canning jars:

8Clamp1.jpg

A 6" C clamp would work, but a heavy duty 8 inch provides enough pressure to extrude liquid.
Note the cork pad under the jar and the oak clamp pad on top.
I also used two layers of Kraft paper under the clamp pad to get a better seal against the jar.
I applied as much pressure as possible checking the pressure over several days.

This experiment used a commercial bag of inexpensive pipe tobacco (probably a burley) that was moistened with distilled water to a damp consistency.

After 15 days I opened one jar to see what was happening. In my cool (70 F) shop there was probably little fermentation taking place. The tobacco had a slight fruity odor and after drying a small sample smoked fine. There was a slight perique-ish sour taste toward the end of the bowl and no ammonia odor at all.

Oldbear

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Nice job!, I particularly like the little stand you made to allow the easy use of a "C" clamp. If you were to put your tobacco back in and let it set for a few months you'd most likely get the "real deal" Perique.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I think the technique is very workable. I don't think you'll get Perique from starting with commercial tobacco, since all of it is cased, usually with some ingredients that are selected for suppressing microbial and fungal growth. I may be wrong.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.