Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

PirateGhost's 1st Year Grow

Status
Not open for further replies.

PirateGhost

Thanks everyone, I've been bottom watering them everyday at around 4pm (work and sleep schedule is what dictated watering at 4pm). I was noticing the tray being dry but didn't think about the cells retaining the water. I noticed that the cells were quite damp. I've corrected my mistake.

BarG

Founding Member
Don't add water if the top soil is still moist. One reason you water from bottom is to encourage roots to grow deeper and spread out more. Try adding just enough so the cells are saturated. you shouldn't need to have any water in tray as long as your soil is wicking well till soil starts looking dryer on top..

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Just as a side note:
When you use peat pots (like Jiffy pots) for seedlings, you have to contend with multiple surfaces from which evaporation can occur. Also, the wicking ("perched water table") in the compressed peat shell is different from that of the potting soil mix.

The task of monitoring the degree of soil moisture is much easier using plastic pots or plastic 1020 tray cell inserts.

Bob

EDIT: nice diagram o PWT: http://sciotoblooms.com/files/39763322.pdf

PirateGhost

I've let the plants completely dry through, im not seeing much difference in the leave color and wilting on the bottom leaves. What must I be doing wrong?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Try dosing them with one tablespoon of epson salts to a gallon of water. They may need magnesium. It's about time for the soil to start running out of the nutrients that came mixed in the soil. They should green up in three days. If you use miracle gro water soluble fertilizer in your water after this, use only half what is recommended on the bag.

PirateGhost

Started the epsom salt treatment yesterday and already starting to see improvement in the leaves' color and shape. Thanks again for helping me save my plants everyone.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
It's good to hear they are improving. If you start adding Miracle Gro to your water, be sure to only use half the amount recommended on the package.

DonH

If Epson salts is difficult to find. .any yellow leaf tonic will do. .like knucks was saying it will be a magnes. deficiency most likely
Luckily in the US at least, Epsom Salts are really easy to find. Every drugstore stocks it.

Nikfits

For the Miracle Grow... Isn't it best to use the kind made for Tomato's? Can't remember what it was about the regular Miracle Grow? I've been using the one for Tomato's and began using Epsom Salt - works excellent by the way. Got it for the fish emulsion I'm making.

PirateGhost,

I was using the same trays you are, but for Strawberries. Just a heads up to what I found on the underside of the trays. You may not get the same problem, but I didn't want to go on and not say anything as I thought of you when I saw it. I had a tray cover over mine, so that may have contributed to it? Anyhow, I was getting ready to add more water to allow it to soak it up through the bottom. I lifted one of them up and found mold and algae forming. It didn't get to the strawberries (just caught it in time - as it started). Yeah, I pulled them guys out away from everything quickly and carefully. I'm mentioning this to you just for a heads up. Check the bottoms of your trays, just to be safe. I'm not trying to scare ya, lol. Just a precaution to what I found on mine. The Strawberries are doing just fine too (60 of them to go in a pot and patch).

The Epsom Salt does wonders too.

PirateGhost

I have seen drastic improvement with the epsom salt treatment, they've grown some and are much greener. When should I be able to transplant them into my field? It's already been a month and a half.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
How tall are they and how many leaf? Here in NM I put them out after the last frost regardless of how big they are. I have 20% of Mine in the ground now. Some folks wait till they are 2 plus inches tall even 4 to six. Depends on the root and leaf size on most. Post a now pic so We can give You better info on it.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
I like what I see here. You have alot going on there. (not bad) I would put the grow lights back on them at nite and let them have sun durring the day. The ones like say the little flag I would thin when they get that thick. Then when they get the size of the largest one, start hardening them off for the transplant.(set out side for a while) Dont leave them out to long or they will turn white on You.(sun burn) You did a good job with the soil You used. Use seeding mix next time for starting. That type of mix is hard to work with on babby plants as You will find out. I used that type this year Makes no diff.to Me LOL You will need to mist them more on top due to that fact. Then go to the site knucks posted and see what the last expected date is and I would give it a few more days just in case to plant. You have plenty of time befor they will be ready to go out. GOOD JOB so far.

DGBAMA

You are getting results which is good.

Your soil is too course for small plants. Run it through a sifter of some sort before transplanting. Finer is better. You will do good.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Yes He will. After that start He will be a pro. The plants are up and the learning will make a master of the starts. As I said "GOOD JOB"! Just don't get frusterated. You got it on a run now.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Six weeks old? They should have been either thinned out or transplanted so there was only one plant per cell weeks ago. I'm sorry young man, you haven't been doing your homework. You will have to stay after class.

http://fairtradetobacco.com/forums/40-Starting-tobacco-seeds

http://fairtradetobacco.com/forums/41-Setting-Transplanting

These seedlings are from seed started March 3. One day after yours. Note one plant per cell and the growth difference by allowing each plant plenty of root space.

attachment.php

Read, read, read. I've read every post on this forum so many times the print is starting to fade out on me. :D
Hang in there brother man. Try to get them seperated somehow. I'm concerned that the roots are going to be so intertwined that it is going to be some more job. You may be able to dump each cell in a half gallon of water and tease the roots apart that way. Then transplant one plant per cell. After that, I recommend letting them get some size on them before transplanting to the ground. I think they've been in a dormant stage from being too crowded. You have a long season so there's time.

Last edited:

Knucklehead

Founding Member
You may also want to consider starting over with some really fine seed starting mix if you still have seed. Those look like one week old seedlings. You'll have time if you hurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.